Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Assessing carbon integrity after crash

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Assessing carbon integrity after crash

Old 08-08-22, 05:59 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
Have you been contacted by the other parties insurance company yet? If the other party was found at fault, insurers will often reach out to you and offer a payment in exchange for you agreeing to close the matter, i.e.not sue them at a later date if you develop medical issues. If they do contact you, let them know what that the bike is totaled and the replacement cost is x. They may be happy to pay that and be done with it.
Old 08-08-22, 06:27 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
Take it to a reputable shop for a complete evaluation.
Vehicle owners insurance should pay for a complete bike replacement of an identical bike at the retail cost.
Old 08-08-22, 06:30 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
It would help me to hear opinions from some more experienced people in this topic: can a bike repair shop securely assess whether a carbon frame and fork are safe or not to be used after a crash? The bike in discussion is a light construction rated as total 6.6 kg without pedals.

The event: frontal bump at 32-34 km/h in the lateral part of a car that suddenly turned from the opposite direction. Apart from scratches of prominent parts (shifters, pedals, quick releases, bar tape), the visible damages at a fast look are:
Front wheel severely bent and spokes pulled out from the hub (obviously totally damaged, although it is a sturdy DT Swiss wheel).
Rear wheel hardly bent (cannot rotate, as it touches the rim brake pads even with the caliper fully opened).
A shifter (carbon fiber) twisted severely on the handlebar.

Thanks
if this incident is being handled by the drivers insurance (as it sounds like it should be), then I’d be prepared to write the frame off. A front impact sufficient to trash the front wheel could’ve damaged the fork and/or the head tube area. Personally I wouldn’t ride it without a full-court-press evaluation by a specialized carbon repair facility. I doubt any bike shop would risk the liability of clearing your frame for use without a thorough evaluation.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 08-09-22, 05:56 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
A frontal hit warrants a new bike. Personal injuries warrant more money. I been through this twice. I made lots of money. I had to get a lawyer for one of the wrecks and it took a year to get paid.
Old 08-09-22, 11:42 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
If they were at fault, full replace.

If you shared/were at fault, at least the front fork and maybe handlebars. Simply because a fork isn't designed for that frontal impact. If a big pothole ruined a wheel/rim, sure, that's where a fork expects to see issues. But not front on.
Old 08-09-22, 11:56 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
They state "fair market value", but they don't define it. You can reasonably assess safety of a second hand car from a reputable shop and you are also obliged to certify its secure use with official bodies before driving it on public roads, but nobody takes responsibility to assess and certify safety in operation for second hand carbon bikes.
If nobody takes responsibility for this, then do it yourself for your own safety. There are shops that can do it and some that can't. Find one with a good reputation. Pay for the checkup. Get a report. Use it as a support to claim money if needed. A professional opinion is always appreciated during a legal matter.
Old 08-09-22, 03:35 PM
GGDaddy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
A frontal hit warrants a new bike. Personal injuries warrant more money. I been through this twice. I made lots of money. I had to get a lawyer for one of the wrecks and it took a year to get paid.
I think this is the best advice in the thread.

If you got hit by someone and their insurance company is involved, don't waste time quibbling over whether your bike's "fair market value" should be $700 or $900.

Find a good attorney who will talk to them for you about "pain and suffering" and "punitive damages." It will take a lot more time, but you will get paid your due. If this happened to insurance companies more often, then like I said above, perhaps they'll start funding bicycle awareness campaigns.
Old 08-09-22, 06:17 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Thanks for the answers, I really appreciate. It looks that almost everybody assesses that safety assurance (for frame and fork) can not be obtained. I assume that a bike repair shop will issue a similar statement.
While you may find someone that can repair the damage, I think you're dreaming if you expect someone else to accept the liability(the outcome of a "safety assurance") for you riding the frame/fork. What would they have to gain from such a transaction? I doubt their insurance company would allow them to make such an assurance.
Old 08-09-22, 06:47 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9529 Post(s)
Liked 6,269 Times in 3,457 Posts
Originally Posted by GGDaddy
I think this is the best advice in the thread.

If you got hit by someone and their insurance company is involved, don't waste time quibbling over whether your bike's "fair market value" should be $700 or $900.

Find a good attorney who will talk to them for you about "pain and suffering" and "punitive damages." It will take a lot more time, but you will get paid your due. If this happened to insurance companies more often, then like I said above, perhaps they'll start funding bicycle awareness campaigns.
This is nonsense. If the guy in the car was drunk or hit the guy intentionally, then maybe punitive damages, but otherwise, no.

Pain and suffering requires an injury to the body. Damage to a bike does not result in pain and suffering damages.

Unless there is bodily injury, good luck getting an attorney. There is not enough money involved to warrant taking such a case on a contingent fee, and hourly fees would render the claim meaningless.

I just love internet legal advice. Nothing good ever comes of it.
Old 08-09-22, 07:17 PM
GGDaddy

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
This is nonsense. If the guy in the car was drunk or hit the guy intentionally, then maybe punitive damages, but otherwise, no.

Pain and suffering requires an injury to the body. Damage to a bike does not result in pain and suffering damages.

Unless there is bodily injury, good luck getting an attorney. There is not enough money involved to warrant taking such a case on a contingent fee, and hourly fees would render the claim meaningless.

I just love internet legal advice. Nothing good ever comes of it.
And I love your implicit assumption that OP managed to get their bike trashed but miraculously escaped injury in the collision.

I never claimed to be a lawyer, internet or otherwise. I suggested talking to a lawyer about specific subjects. Maybe they take the case, but if nothing else you’ll learn from that initial consultation.

And I make that recommendation as someone who once managed to get a settlement for pain and suffering without having to pay a lawyer

Last edited by GGDaddy; 08-09-22 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-10-22, 03:35 PM
Redbullet

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 47 Posts
[QUOTE=GGDaddy;22604849]And I love your implicit assumption that OP managed to get their bike trashed but miraculously escaped injury in the collision/QUOTE]

I didn't escape injury, but not being crippled and not rested in hospital means all and it was a huge luck, despite some longer time (but fully recoverable) inconvenient.
Likes For Redbullet:
Old 08-10-22, 03:46 PM
Redbullet

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 47 Posts
Thanks again for answers. The topic was not about a bullet proof way of action (nobody can give it, not to speak about differences between the states / countries), but about opinions on how could restate to the safety status before the event. The majority of opinions seem to state that reasonable safety riding can not be obtained anymore with frame and fork after such crash. That was all about. Cheers!