Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Mariner 8 or Tern Link D8 (2018) ?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-18, 10:19 PM
rail9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm in the US, live in a city that's not particularly bike friendly. I would probably take public transportation to quieter parts of the city, or outside the city to bike. I considered a folding bike because I can take it on the bus or train without hassle (buses are not going to let me take a normal bike). I've been looking at bikes with 20 inch wheels, rack and fenders. From what I read the 20" is a common sized tire, it's a nice compromise for a folding bike as the tire is big enough for potholes etc, but small enough to fold and take on public transportation. My understanding is if you get fatter tires it will help with absorbing bumps. I guess aluminum framed bikes aren't good at that. I used to have a steel hybrid without suspension, I've never had suspension on a bike so I have no idea what it's like, I just stand on the pedals or lift my butt off the seat a little when going over bumps. And I live in a city where bike theft is common, as well as anything easy to steal on the bike, (seemed less true of other cities I lived) so I would probably want to bring it in with me. I'm about 5' 8" and about 160 lbs, usually carry a backpack with me.

I picked up riding again with a commuter hybrid a couple years ago in a more bike friendly city and gave up the bike when I moved. I used the bike to get around, haul groceries, on errands, and on nicer rides outside the city, both on road and gravel/relatively maintained trails. It was really uncomfortable for riding over 10 miles, though went on 10-20 mile rides when I went with groups. They made fun of me and were surprised I could keep pace with them without being clipped in. I'm not a serious biker, I don't have any special gear and wear street clothes and a backpack. I tend to ride in an exploratory way on my own, stopping and starting and hanging out places, and I like scenery. I'm not 100% sure a folder is best, though a guy at the bike shop told me he has gone on rides with groups and biked 20-30 miles on a folding bike no problem. Who knows...

I can go up to about $800 for a bike. So far I've tried out three bikes (not a lot, but what I've seen so far). The Dahon Mariner and Tern Link D8 come with fenders and a rack, have gears, which I may need here. It's not like san fran, but there are some hills.

Comparing the two the Tern seemed a lot more firm, and the handlebars were less twitchy. I didn't like that the handlebars folded on the outside and the cable sticks out and can catch on things. The fold is a bit wider so may be more difficult to get on public transportation and squeeze into places. The Dahon seemed more flexier, had a narrower fold, but folding it seems a bit of a pain compared to the Tern. The tires on the Tern seem to be recommended tires for city riding (Schwalbe Big Apple), but I don't think the tires for the Mariner are that good? And the rest of the components I don't know how they compare. I don't really know much about bike components, Dahon is kinda vague about what's on their bikes on their website, the Tern site seems pretty specific.

My main concern though was seeing posts on the form about the frame breaking at the hinge on the Tern. I didn't really see anything about the Dahon, though I think they're basically the same company, just different branches, so I assume the mechanisms are the same. It sounds like Dahon produces bikes at the cheapest factory they can find, I'm not sure if quality varies by model or within models. I'm not sure if Tern is manufactured in the same place or not. The bike did seem more solid.

I know people are fans of brompton, and the bike shop does a payment plan, but if that bike got stolen it would kill me. I also hear people claim the 16 inch tires are as smooth as the 20 on roads, I'm really not sure how it would be on bumpy roads and trails. I'm not going to mountain bike, but I like going off road a bit. I like the idea of easy to find and replace tires at least.

I don't know if there's anything else I missed, I've been reading a lot and I think I am getting overloaded.
Old 06-27-18, 10:32 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Seems like you've got the general idea of the pros and cons of both bikes. I'd just go with whichever one had the better feeling ride. For the folded package, you already know the tradeoffs of both, so now only left to choose... As for the brands, they are most definitely separate companies that share zero in terms of resources or manufacturing. Although they have some shared history that isn't relevant to your shopping. The recall issues for Tern only apply to bike manufactured in a particular time window (2011-2012), so if you're shopping new bikes you're fine.
Old 06-27-18, 11:04 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by rail9
I'm in the US, live in a city that's not particularly bike friendly. I would probably take public transportation to quieter parts of the city, or outside the city to bike. I considered a folding bike because I can take it on the bus or train without hassle (buses are not going to let me take a normal bike). I've been looking at bikes with 20 inch wheels, rack and fenders. From what I read the 20" is a common sized tire, it's a nice compromise for a folding bike as the tire is big enough for potholes etc, but small enough to fold and take on public transportation. My understanding is if you get fatter tires it will help with absorbing bumps. I guess aluminum framed bikes aren't good at that. I used to have a steel hybrid without suspension, I've never had suspension on a bike so I have no idea what it's like, I just stand on the pedals or lift my butt off the seat a little when going over bumps. And I live in a city where bike theft is common, as well as anything easy to steal on the bike, (seemed less true of other cities I lived) so I would probably want to bring it in with me. I'm about 5' 8" and about 160 lbs, usually carry a backpack with me.

I picked up riding again with a commuter hybrid a couple years ago in a more bike friendly city and gave up the bike when I moved. I used the bike to get around, haul groceries, on errands, and on nicer rides outside the city, both on road and gravel/relatively maintained trails. It was really uncomfortable for riding over 10 miles, though went on 10-20 mile rides when I went with groups. They made fun of me and were surprised I could keep pace with them without being clipped in. I'm not a serious biker, I don't have any special gear and wear street clothes and a backpack. I tend to ride in an exploratory way on my own, stopping and starting and hanging out places, and I like scenery. I'm not 100% sure a folder is best, though a guy at the bike shop told me he has gone on rides with groups and biked 20-30 miles on a folding bike no problem. Who knows...

I can go up to about $800 for a bike. So far I've tried out three bikes (not a lot, but what I've seen so far). The Dahon Mariner and Tern Link D8 come with fenders and a rack, have gears, which I may need here. It's not like san fran, but there are some hills.

Comparing the two the Tern seemed a lot more firm, and the handlebars were less twitchy. I didn't like that the handlebars folded on the outside and the cable sticks out and can catch on things. The fold is a bit wider so may be more difficult to get on public transportation and squeeze into places. The Dahon seemed more flexier, had a narrower fold, but folding it seems a bit of a pain compared to the Tern. The tires on the Tern seem to be recommended tires for city riding (Schwalbe Big Apple), but I don't think the tires for the Mariner are that good? And the rest of the components I don't know how they compare. I don't really know much about bike components, Dahon is kinda vague about what's on their bikes on their website, the Tern site seems pretty specific.

My main concern though was seeing posts on the form about the frame breaking at the hinge on the Tern. I didn't really see anything about the Dahon, though I think they're basically the same company, just different branches, so I assume the mechanisms are the same. It sounds like Dahon produces bikes at the cheapest factory they can find, I'm not sure if quality varies by model or within models. I'm not sure if Tern is manufactured in the same place or not. The bike did seem more solid.

I know people are fans of brompton, and the bike shop does a payment plan, but if that bike got stolen it would kill me. I also hear people claim the 16 inch tires are as smooth as the 20 on roads, I'm really not sure how it would be on bumpy roads and trails. I'm not going to mountain bike, but I like going off road a bit. I like the idea of easy to find and replace tires at least.

I don't know if there's anything else I missed, I've been reading a lot and I think I am getting overloaded.
mariner is a top quality bike from dahon.
its a bike to buy.
dont go for breaking terns!
Old 06-28-18, 01:52 PM
JohanNeeda

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Generally speaking Tern are great bikes. I’m a heavy guy leaving in a very hilly area but I use my D7i for my daily commuting (about 10 miles all in). The bike does great but it took some work to get here. You need to be aware of the fact that for whatever reasons the components around the bike are not that great (there some posts in the forums about this and I think there is even one related with the D8). Brake arms, chain, brake pads, crank set, electric wires etc. That’s the bad news. The good news is that you can replace/upgrade them all you want with the higher quality ones in case you like to fiddle with your bike. There is one point you need also to keep in mind: the RD is specific for Tern/Dahon. That will be difficult to upgrade if needed. One day you will need to change those. In addition I find the standard carrier rack to be pretty useless for panniers (that in case you think giving up your backpack). You will need to change that with a cargo rack or get front pannier rack (both from Tern).
Old 06-28-18, 05:19 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
There is a version of the Link D8 with a normal Shimano Claris derailleur now, and the Mariner 8 uses a normal Shimano Altus. Dahon dropped the Neos derailleur when Mariner went from 7 to 8 speeds (I'm referring to US market, the one the OP lives in).

I own a Mariner 8 and it's a great bike with nice Schwalbe Citizen tires, but I agree that the 'inside the frame' folding for the steering mast is kinda fiddly. It's fine for me because I only use the fold to put it in my car occasionally, but there's no way I would use this bike for a daily commute on buses or trains. For that kind of life there's nothing better than a Brompton, a bike I've ridden on not-too-terrible trails and had a great time.

I can't emphasize enough how much an easy, compact fold matters when you do it a lot; gotta get it done quick; and need a small package. It won't get stolen because you can keep it with you just about anywhere. I've owned Dahons, I've owned Bromptons, I like them both. Get a Brompton.
Old 06-28-18, 06:12 PM
termv

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I concur

Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
mariner is a top quality bike from dahon.

its a bike to buy.

dont go for breaking terns!

I fully concur with the above statement.

However, I decided to upgrade a few things.

BB is now Shimano UN55

Tires are The Wall

Cassette HG50

FR7 brake levers

front is sd7

Back is sd5

Claris rear derailleur

A different seat

Custom SKS fenders (thanks Thor)

140db horn

Ritchey handlebar (thanks Thor)

Ergo handgrips

Shimano Rapid Fire Shifter

Brake cables are Novara.

Light is by Fenix

Looking forward to order very soon a real Carrier from Thor

I liked very much from the beginning the frame. The initial investment was fine, however, over time some changes were made.

At the same time I was on the positive side building up my tool section.

What I'm trying to convey to the reader(s) is basically I wasn't willing to spend in excess of $2k for a bike which I still would have to change in terms of components until I would be satisfied with the outcome.

YMMV
Old 06-28-18, 08:31 PM
rail9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by termv
What I'm trying to convey to the reader(s) is basically I wasn't willing to spend in excess of $2k for a bike which I still would have to change in terms of components until I would be satisfied with the outcome.
YMMV
I guess I'm a bit unclear on your post, I'm not sure whether you're saying you're decided against a tern because the cost of switching out the components would cost you 2k, or you didn't like the idea of the brompton because it was expensive and you'd have to switch out the components anyway?

I guess I'm curious which bike you got and how much additional the components cost you?

So I'm wondering if I should I be looking at just getting a frame and getting the components separately? I'm not that acquainted with bikes, but could probably do some basic stuff. If I did it myself I'd probably want someone to check it over to make sure I didn't mess up....
Old 06-28-18, 10:38 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

No, you don't need to buy a frame and upgrade a bunch of stuff like that guy did. It's his hobby and he spent a chunk of cash enjoying it. Whether you get a Dahon, Tern, or spend more to get a Brompton, they'll all be fine out of the box. Maybe you'll eventually prefer a better saddle, but you can do that later. Don't worry about upgrades, just ride.
Old 06-29-18, 01:46 AM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
No, you don't need to buy a frame and upgrade a bunch of stuff like that guy did. It's his hobby and he spent a chunk of cash enjoying it. Whether you get a Dahon, Tern, or spend more to get a Brompton, they'll all be fine out of the box. Maybe you'll eventually prefer a better saddle, but you can do that later. Don't worry about upgrades, just ride.
Excellent advice. And speaking of which, OP... have you looked for used Bromptons in your local market or elsewhere? I've seen the 6 speed roughly in your price range.
Old 06-29-18, 01:32 PM
termv

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi

Good observation,

I just wanted a reliable bike, the Mariner seemed a good choice, and the upgrading came later. Started like 1 year after initial purchase.

However, next bike will be a frame from Thor, and everything else will be accordingly chosen and installed.
Old 06-30-18, 03:51 PM
rail9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty hesitant to buy used as I'm not going to be able to spot issues like someone who knows what they're doing. I'd rather not take the risk as it's a lot of money to lose. I'm willing to spend this money if I wind up with a bike that lasts me several years.
Old 06-30-18, 08:52 PM
termv

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rail9
I'm pretty hesitant to buy used as I'm not going to be able to spot issues like someone who knows what they're doing. I'd rather not take the risk as it's a lot of money to lose. I'm willing to spend this money if I wind up with a bike that lasts me several years.
Buy the one which you feel that this is the one which is giving you the most satisfaction. Then upgrade/update at your leisure. And yes, buying used is with respect to aluminum in general, and with folders in particular not the best decision. Get your bike from a reputable dealer
Old 07-16-18, 12:46 PM
fieryzombie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the Dahon Mariner 8. Used it for nearly a. month. Hated it! Returned it and spent double to get the Brompton. Could not be happier!
Quite a few issues with the Dahon:
- Folding is fiddly because the handlebar lies between the fold
- The magnet that closes the bike on a fold can fall off during a ride
- The handlebar sunk during a ride! It was correctly latched in. The bike shop replaced the latch. I was lucky I was able to stop the bike
- The fold actually scratches the frame of the bike. A new Dahon will have stickers on the right spots on the frame to prevent scratches but eventually, those stickers will fall off. Mine did within a month.

If you ask me, just get the Brompton and be done with it. This is an investment - at least for 10 years. An extra 1000$ over 10 years is not much
Old 07-16-18, 06:37 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Personally, I think 20" wheels are too heavy to do buses and trains on regularly basis. I'm not strong. I find lifting my 28-pound FB to back of my car is hard work. I would not want to lug that thing around onto bus and train station...I imagine it would kill my arm...and be tireing.

In my imagination, I would buy a 16" Jifo. Cheap enough and small.
You're probably right, though 20" folding bikes come in a range of weights. For example, my 20" FSIR 5.0 comes in at 20.9lbs, and is affordably priced.
Old 07-16-18, 07:29 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Just dont buy tern! They snnap in half and have many reccals!
Old 07-16-18, 07:34 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Originally Posted by fieryzombie
I had the Dahon Mariner 8. Used it for nearly a. month. Hated it! Returned it and spent double to get the Brompton. Could not be happier!
- The handlebar sunk during a ride! It was correctly latched in. The bike shop replaced the latch. I was lucky I was able to stop the bike
- The fold actually scratches the frame of the bike. A new Dahon will have stickers on the right spots on the frame to prevent scratches but eventually, those stickers will fall off. Mine did within a month.

If you ask me, just get the Brompton and be done with it. This is an investment - at least for 10 years. An extra 1000$ over 10 years is not much
Many Dahon and other low price bikes can be rather basic, or rickety. Many of those bikes I myself would not buy or ride stock. But it's quite a jump in price and folding size/speed between a Mariner and a Brompton, potentially suggesting that you do not need the Brompton's fold, and that you could have gotten a bike of the Mariner's girth but more solid, and saved some money up front rather than relying on amortizing the price of the Brompton over a decade. What other intermediate alternatives did you explore?

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 07-16-18 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-16-18, 07:39 PM
Joe Remi

Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
Just dont buy tern! They snnap in half and have many reccals!
Eh, I think we're past that problem by now. I still wouldn't buy a used one without a verified frame replacement, but I'd buy a 2018 Tern.

The admonition about Mariner 8 is bizarrely trollish. I agree the 'inside' fold is fiddly and I wouldn't want to do it in a hurry every morning, but it's not a problem for occasional use. Magnets should be tightened every few weeks, vibration loosens them. Is a (much more expensive) Brompton a better fold for commuting? Of course. If you have the cash and want one, knock yourself out. I'm about to own one of each.
Old 07-16-18, 09:19 PM
termv

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fieryzombie

Mariner 7 bought some years ago new.

Issue 1 - I don't have this particular problem (having ergo grips, speedometer, ritchey bar, bell, left and right mirrors, shimano speed shifter). It did some time to perfectly set it up, but now it takes only 5 seconds to have it running(applies applies only to the bar).

Issue 2 - unknown to me. What changed**********?

Issue 3 - Are you absolutely sure it was setup the right way???

Issue 4 - not on my Mariner 7.

On a side note, as some of might know, I did change a few parts on my bike, but not because of failure. I just wanted better/more comfortable components.

Personally, I consider the stock tires (Ritelo) an insult.

Last edited by termv; 07-16-18 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-16-18, 10:23 PM
fieryzombie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
I don't doubt any of the problems you encountered with the Mariner. Many Dahon and other low price bikes can be rather basic, to put it diplomatically. Bikes that I myself would not buy or ride stock. But it's quite a jump in price and folding size/speed between a Mariner and a Brompton, potentially suggesting that you do not need the Brompton's fold, and that you could have gotten a bike of the Mariner's girth but more solid, and saved some money up front rather than relying on amortizing the price of the Brompton over a decade. What other intermediate alternatives did you explore?
I looked at Tern Link D8. I felt it was very similar to the Dahon. I might have gone for it if I had not read about the mishaps Tern was having with its frame. I was also pretty shaken by Dahon "accident" and decided not to chance it. No regrets getting the Brompton...one bit. Even though I will agree that it is expensive but you get what you paid for I guess. I am not sure if there are other serious players apart from Brompton, Dahon and Tern in the folding bike category. Sure there are other companies that make folding bikes but maybe not at the scale of these three.

Issue 1 - I don't have this particular problem (having ergo grips, speedometer, ritchey bar, bell, left and right mirrors, shimano speed shifter). It did some time to perfectly set it up, but now it takes only 5 seconds to have it running(applies applies only to the bar).

On a side note, as some of might know, I did change a few parts on my bike, but not because of failure. I just wanted better/more comfortable components.

Not sure about the magnet. Mine fell off. Got it replaced. A few weeks later, I noticed that even the new one was getting loose. I realized that I will need to monitor. Perhaps I was folding/unfolding the bike too many times a day? I am studying this year and my classes are all over the campus. So I fold/unfold at least 4-5 times a day.

Regarding the handle, I am sure. I made sure that all the latches are snug before I sit on the bike. I am 6ft and weigh 200lbs. I think that the handlebar could not take the stress it was subjected to because there are quite a few inclines where I live.

Anyway, I was glad I could get return it. I wish the Brompton was cheaper but well...can't have everything.
Old 07-16-18, 10:28 PM
Joe Remi

There's an awful lit of hyperbole in that guy's post. The loose-side magnet will eventually vibrate off if you never attend to it, and the telescoping bar problem sounds weird..like somebody at the shop screwed up. I've used a dozen of them from various brands and never had one sink. I've dropped one magnet.
Old 07-17-18, 01:25 PM
wesgreen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
My magnet came already secured with Loctite. I wanted to move it around a bit for a tighter fold, and I secured the screws again with Plumbers' Goop afterwards. Probably the first thing I would do on my next Dahon. They haven't moved since. The inside fold works well for me, and the bike rolls well when folded, held by the extended seat post.

Last edited by wesgreen; 07-17-18 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-17-18, 02:06 PM
toast3d

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know about the Tern Link, but the Mariner is a great bike. You can't go wrong by getting one. I understand it's actually one of the most popular folding bikes out there. The stock tires are just fine on it. Very solid. Good lifespan. Cushy ride. Put some Slime in the tubes and you'll never have to worry about a flat. Slime works GREAT in those 20" tubes.

The stock saddle on the Mariner sucks. Replace it immediately. The Mariner's rear rack can fit a couple of Ortlieb FRONT roller classics. Back roller classics are too big, obviously. You need to mount the panniers all the way back to avoid heel strike, but they work. With the front truss on and something like the Kanga Rack on it with a backpack or a large pannier strapped into it, along with some small rear panniers, you can haul a decent load of groceries on the Mariner.
Old 07-25-18, 06:25 PM
capthindsight

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Tern Link D8. tl;dr: returned it after a few weeks for a Brompton.

I was in kind of the same boat as you. I wanted a folder for a multi-modal commute where I'd be biking part of the way and using either transit or a car for other segments, depending on the day. I went with the Tern initially to save the $1000-ish over a Brompton. I figured the Tern would be "close enough" in terms of ride and folding to suit my needs, but it didn't end up working out that way.

To start, the fold is not great, as others have mentioned already. It was still too big and awkward to be on a bus or train, especially during rush hour. This may be a little better with the Dahon since the handlebar on the Dahon folds in between the two halves of the bike, but, as you know, with the Tern the handlebar folds on the outside and the cables tend to stick out unless you remember to tuck them away. Also, the Tern Link D8 lets you adjust the handlebar "stem" angle, which I had roughly horizontal, since that was most comfortable. When folded, however, this means they stuck out just a little bit more, and that tended to catch on things (and people's shins, unfortunately).

Also with the fold, the magnet that holds the two halves together had a tendency to come apart. I didn't have the experience others posted where the magnet fell off, but while carrying the bike folded, the magnet would have a tendency to let go and the entire bike would swing open. This was especially awkward when going up or down stairs, or when anywhere near other people. It sucked.

On the good side, the ride was decent, and I never had any worries about the actual construction of the bike. The hinges felt solid and the hinge clamps felt secure when locked. My city, like many, has lots of potholed streets. The steering is a little twitchier on the Tern's 20" wheels, but I never felt out of control, or that it was a significantly bumpier ride. I had previously commuted daily on a full-sized 700c bike, and the transition was definitely noticeable, but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I will say that the Brompton's 16" wheels don't feel hugely different than the Tern's 20" wheels. To me, the transition going from 700c to 20" was bigger than 20" to 16". It may be that the Brompton's steel frame and suspension block help a bit with ride quality. When I test rode the Brompton I specifically aimed for the bumpiest parts of the road and it was no problem.

I imagine if your buses/trains aren't as crowded, and the size of the fold isn't as important, either the Tern or Dahon would probably be fine. The Brompton folds into an impossibly compact package, and it's just so much easier to carry, so if you're like me and you're folding and unfolding several times a day, it really is a night and day different. It really is a huge price difference, though, and that was the toughest part to get past for me. I use it just about 7 days a week and it's my primary mode of getting to work, running errands, and recreation, so it seemed justified. If I was only using it a couple times a week, well, maybe I'd suck it up and stick with the Tern.
Old 07-25-18, 08:50 PM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by capthindsight
... 16" wheels don't feel hugely different than the Tern's 20" wheels. To me, the transition going from 700c to 20" was bigger than 20" to 16". It may be that the Brompton's steel frame and suspension block help a bit with ride quality. When I test rode the Brompton I specifically aimed for the bumpiest parts of the road and it was no problem.

.. .
That's because the jump from 700c (ISO622) to 20" (ISO406 or ISO451) is indeed bigger than from 20" to 16" (ISO349).
Old 07-26-18, 05:53 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Mariner d8 is a top seller in dahon for a (good) reason. These bikes do lasts and are quality build.
awnsering op s question, i would stick with dahon mariner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.