Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Need a light and fast one

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Need a light and fast one

Old 03-06-22, 03:04 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by seat_boy
I would love to see a longer version. If the top tube on mine were two inches longer, I would not complain at all. I'm too far over the front axle now.
And a shorter version for us vertically challenged people 😊
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 03-06-22, 03:46 PM
DLBroox

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111
have y0u looked at downtube bikes. they have some nice models that won't break the bank, same for zizzo.
I have looked at Downtube. The bike I liked the specs on was 31 pounds which weighs way more than I want. But they look like nice bikes.
Old 03-06-22, 04:41 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Well, they are bikes, and they do fold, and they are real, so I would consider both real folding bikes. It's just a different sent of compromises.

I started with a Dahon, but I prefer either the BF or the Swift over it. They both ride better as bikes, and I'm willing to compromise the folded action for that. Your choices may be different.
With a Birdy, you do not need to compromise, you have the small, easy, one piece folding and the top performances !

BTW, the two Birdy stem, comfort and sport, are adjustable in reach and height to accommodate a large range of people size.
Old 03-06-22, 06:49 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
Everything is a compromised. Birdy comprised with a higher price ($2000-$3000) and suspension to get the ride and fold they want. It looks like they also only come in one size, which is very common compromise for folding bikes (excepting Bike Fridays). It's good Birdy's compromises align with what you want in a bike.

Originally Posted by Jipe
With a Birdy, you do not need to compromise, you have the small, easy, one piece folding and the top performances !

BTW, the two Birdy stem, comfort and sport, are adjustable in reach and height to accommodate a large range of people size.
Likes For seat_boy:
Old 03-06-22, 08:11 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts

I am skeptical, but as you say, don't knock it without trying it. However, are there any dealers in North America that have them in stock?
Old 03-07-22, 08:13 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Please stock risers, seat posts, and stems in various sizes like Xootr did. Do you think parts with Xootr will be compatible?
We are not focusing on compatibility between new and old components.
Old 03-07-22, 08:14 AM
Pinigis 

I would love to see a longer version. If the top tube on mine were two inches longer, I would not complain at all. I'm too far over the front axle now.
Thank you for this feedback, it is very useful in this process.
Old 03-07-22, 08:26 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
Thank you for this feedback, it is very useful in this process.
Do you think a dedicated Origami Swift Feedback discussion thread would be useful at this point?
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 03-07-22, 09:25 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Do you think a dedicated Origami Swift Feedback discussion thread would be useful at this point?
Yes, but I don't want to get accused of advertising, so I can't start it.
Old 03-07-22, 09:41 AM
Pinigis 

Yes, but I don't want to get accused of advertising, so I can't start it.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 03-07-22, 09:43 AM
Pinigis 

WOw! I'm over-the-moon delighted to learn that your collaboration with Peter Reich is progressing to the point that you think there'll be a new product available by later this year. How exciting!

If you're ever seeking any input, I have some ideas I'd happily share too.

Great news! Thanks Pingus, you've made my day. All the best with this project.
Yes please! Share any input and advice that you can. We are still in the design phase, so we have plenty of opportunity to incorporate other ideas.
Old 03-07-22, 09:45 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by linberl
That's exciting! As long as you are doing that (hopefully a steel one, not just aluminum), bring back the Crossrack!!!
The initial version will be chromoly, but we may add aluminum later.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 03-07-22, 04:05 PM
DLBroox

Ok my foldie friends after many hours of research and deliberating I went ahead and bought a tangerine Lotus from Origami.

I originally wanted the Swift on eBay but the guy disappeared after I asked to get a shipping quote and I was concerned about getting ripped off at some point. I also don’t love the fold. I live in a small apartment so the fold matters.

Which is one big reason I hesitated on the Bike Friday. That, the three month wait, and the price.

The Birdy was way too expensive for me and honestly, and I’m sorry to Birdy riders, it’s not an attractive bike. And that matters to me too!

Some of the Dahons and Terns were nice but for the money, I felt like Origami was offering similar specs with a much better price.

I liked the Downtubes too but they were heavier than I wanted.

And finally, I really like the idea of supporting a small business. I’ve gotten personal emails answering my questions and even a phone call about the price not being right on the site. The bike is 599 not 899. I would not have been any wiser but Pingus called me to correct the mistake and refund some money.

Thank you to everyone who made suggestions. I chased down every bike and researched all of them. I’m excited to be able to post a review in a few days when I get the Lotus.
Likes For DLBroox:
Old 03-07-22, 04:42 PM
Jipe

Supporting small business !?

Don't you see a lot of similarities between this Origami Lotus and the Fnhon Gust (the Fnhon Gust exists in several wheel sizes, also smaller wheels than 20" ETRTO406) ?

Old 03-07-22, 05:40 PM
DLBroox

Supporting small business !?

Don't you see a lot of similarities between this Origami Lotus and the Fnhon Gust (the Fnhon Gust exists in several wheel sizes, also smaller wheels than 20" ETRTO406) ?

What exactly are you saying? Because I’ve seen that bike. It’s not available in the US. And I really don’t think Origami is designing bikes from scratch necessarily. It’s not ok if an American company buys a frame and kits it out and sells it here? Maybe he has a deal with Fnhon to rebrand the bike using their frame.

I’m sorry but this is a really nice guy who’s gone out of his way to treat me well. And it’s not like he’s price gouging.
Likes For DLBroox:
Old 03-07-22, 07:11 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Saw this too late.

But for US folks, maybe the Bike Friday Pocket Rocket is the most accessible and good one (though not really good/convenient fold). The Super Pro version has been the fastest small wheel bike I have used and its really good. Of course its also very expensive and this is the main drawback.

20", not too heavy, not too expensive, fast and lots of potential to before lighter+faster? - Try the Dash Dash series of bikes.
Old 03-07-22, 11:28 PM
Jipe

Originally Posted by DLBroox
What exactly are you saying? Because I’ve seen that bike. It’s not available in the US. And I really don’t think Origami is designing bikes from scratch necessarily. It’s not ok if an American company buys a frame and kits it out and sells it here? Maybe he has a deal with Fnhon to rebrand the bike using their frame.

I’m sorry but this is a really nice guy who’s gone out of his way to treat me well. And it’s not like he’s price gouging.
Indeed, its just re-branding Chinese designed, Chinese built and probably Chinese assembled bikes (at that price, I do not think that it can be US assembled). So its mainly Chinese business.

Now it can be a nice guy, but he is just "pushing" Made in China boxes.

Nothing in common with Bike Friday that really has US designed and US built bikes and really is a small local business or the Xootr Swift that was a real original design.
Likes For Jipe:
Old 03-08-22, 08:27 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by DLBroox
Ok my foldie friends after many hours of research and deliberating I went ahead and bought a tangerine Lotus from Origami.
That sounds terrific, DLBroox. I hope that your tangerine dream machine works out well and gives you many many miles of enjoyment.

Interesting to me that Origami is cooking up a new Swift variant as well. I too like what I see from this company and I think that it's a good fit with the Swift's design philosophy in that Origami seem very focused on delivering quality folding bikes at reasonably affordable prices.

Anyway, it was fun chatting. If you're still at all interested there's now another thread devoted to developing the Origami Swift. Everyone's input is appreciated.

Ciao!
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 03-08-22, 12:20 PM
DLBroox

That sounds terrific, DLBroox. I hope that your tangerine dream machine works out well and gives you many many miles of enjoyment.

Interesting to me that Origami is cooking up a new Swift variant as well. I too like what I see from this company and I think that it's a good fit with the Swift's design philosophy in that Origami seem very focused on delivering quality folding bikes at reasonably affordable prices.

Anyway, it was fun chatting. If you're still at all interested there's now another thread devoted to developing the Origami Swift. Everyone's input is appreciated.

Ciao!
Thank you for your valuable input! I'm going to keep my eye on that Origami Swift thread too!
Old 03-08-22, 12:30 PM
Pinigis 

Indeed, its just re-branding Chinese designed, Chinese built and probably Chinese assembled bikes (at that price, I do not think that it can be US assembled). So its mainly Chinese business.

Now it can be a nice guy, but he is just "pushing" Made in China boxes.

Nothing in common with Bike Friday that really has US designed and US built bikes and really is a small local business or the Xootr Swift that was a real original design.
Nope, we are an American business. Bike Friday makes their frames in the US, but the components are sourced from overseas. We do import all of our components, but final assembly is done here on the Lotus. We are a small business, with small overhead, and we have fun every day.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 03-08-22, 04:08 PM
Jipe

Originally Posted by Pinigis
Nope, we are an American business. Bike Friday makes their frames in the US, but the components are sourced from overseas. We do import all of our components, but final assembly is done here on the Lotus. We are a small business, with small overhead, and we have fun every day.
And for the other Origami than the Lotus, also assembled in the US ?

About the design of the frames of your several bikes, who did it, Origami or the Chinese manufacturer ?

Bike Friday doesn't only manufacture the frame and assemble the bikes, they also design all their bikes themselves. They do not buy frames designed by others.

This is a major difference, anybody is able to assemble bikes but not able to design bikes.
Old 03-08-22, 04:23 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts

About the design of the frames of your several bikes, who did it, Origami or the Chinese manufacturer ?

Bike Friday doesn't only manufacture the frame and assemble the bikes, they also design all their bikes themselves. They do not buy frames designed by others.

This is a major difference, anybody is able to assemble bikes but not able to design bikes.
Origami is a US dealer. They stock parts etc Offer support. Where are the US Birdy dealers?
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 03-08-22, 04:47 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts

I don't know about other companies but BF not only designs and manufactures their frames in the US but they also craft numerous other things here as well, like the unique headset adjustment tool which is made in a guy's garage a few miles from their shop and provides work for a local US guy. They cut and finished both the aftermarket titanium seat and stem masts I ordered up in Eugene; I don't know where the titanium came from but all the work was done locally. With rare exception, all bikes use non-US components (although you CAN spec out Paul Components on a BF if you can afford them!).
Likes For linberl:
Old 03-08-22, 06:01 PM
DLBroox

I’m really sorry I opened this can of worms. I think it’s great that Bike Friday designs and builds their own stuff. But in the end I couldn’t rationalize paying two thousand dollars for a bike. I’m a high school teacher trying to survive on a daily basis in a really f’d up situation thanks to the pandemic and this Lotus is affordable and will bring me joy. It also helps some guy scratching out his own living here in the states. So whether he’s designing or just building them I really don’t care.

So carry on with your autopsy of my comment about supporting a small business. I’m leaving the party. Turn the lights out and lock the door when you leave. See ya.
Likes For DLBroox:
Old 03-08-22, 07:14 PM
Pinigis 

Look, if you want a Bike Friday, and can afford it, buy one. They are nice bikes, I respect them very much. Our goal is to get quality bikes into people’s hand at a reasonable price. We are in our 11th year and we are still having fun. That’s all I ask.
Likes For Pinigis:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.