Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano DI2 with Campy Super Record Crankset issues

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-07-22, 08:10 PM
maadfw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Hi All,

I recently acquired a 2017 Cervelo R5 with Shimano Ultegra Di2 (11-speed) and Campy Super Record Carbon Crankset and put on for few 40+ miles rides. Overall, the ride was excellent but one thing I noticed during the ride is while shifting from the small to big ring on the front, the chain gets dropped frequently. I completed the ride with just riding on the big ring. Then, I took it to my favorite bike shop here and the tech looked at it and said the gap between the crank and front derailleur is very small and the crank is almost touching derailleur. The crank is actually slightly touching the derailleur cage on rotation. The tech said these two components (Crank and Derailleur) may not be compatible and he is going to check for compatibility and come back. In such case, the crank may need to replaced with Shimano ultegra non-carbon Crankset and bottom bracket as well.

While I trust this shop, I am not sure if they have handled the electronic groupset before. So, my questions to you all,

a) Do you know if the Campy crank and Shimano derailleur combination is compatible?
b) Would you go with replacing the crank and BB with mechanic suggested components?

Any advice on how to handle this repair is highly appreciated.

Thank you.
-maadfw

Last edited by maadfw; 08-07-22 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-08-22, 09:47 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
There is nothing anywhere from either Shimano or Campy that is going to say your crank and front derailleur are compatible. You will nor the mechanic will NEVER find this. He's nuts for even saying he's going to look for it.That said,it should work fine and I'm thinking this guy has no experience w/ adjusting Di2.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-08-22, 01:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
The crank is actually slightly touching the derailleur cage on rotation.
The crank arm is touching the DR cage? If so, then the DR is probably just mounted and adjusted wrong. For sure you need to find someone to look at it that is familiar with installation and adjustment of Di2. I'm sure there are bike mechanics never exposed to electronic shifters yet and they probably think it mystical and borderline witchcraft. So they probably can't properly assess it.
Old 08-08-22, 01:27 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
+1 get a 2nd opinion. I had a lot of issues with my bikes (things I couldn't fix myself) that I wasn't able to get much improvement on after taking them to a local shop. Finally, moved onto a new shop when the mechanics at the first place told me something I knew was blatantly wrong and suddenly a lot of those niggling annoyances that I could never get quite right (even with the first shop's help) went away.
Old 08-08-22, 03:32 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
You might have spacing issues between what Di2 thinks is supposed to be the distance between rings on Campy vs. that distance on Shimano. You can likely look that up. If the Campy ring spacing is not the same as Shimano, I could see why the derailer drops the chain. No way around that except use a Shimano crank,
Old 08-08-22, 05:28 PM
maadfw

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks all for your insights. Very helpful. I will keep you all posted how this goes.

-maadfw
Old 08-09-22, 07:59 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
My brother has a '18 R5; swapped out EPS for DA Di2 but kept the Record 11 crankset since it had the Stages power meter; that was almost 3 yrs ago and he never had any issues.
Old 08-15-22, 06:13 AM
maadfw

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks guys for all your suggestions. The LBS went out of their way to fix this issue. They first updated the firmware to the latest version and also found that the chainring wasn't fully tight and that was the one causing the chain drops. After they tightened it to the specs, the DI-2 is now shifting between the smaller to big ring without any issues.

Just thought of sharing. Very happy with the LBS.

-maadfw
Likes For maadfw:
Old 08-15-22, 10:44 AM
J_Chickles

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by maadfw
Thanks guys for all your suggestions. The LBS went out of their way to fix this issue. They first updated the firmware to the latest version and also found that the chainring wasn't fully tight and that was the one causing the chain drops. After they tightened it to the specs, the DI-2 is now shifting between the smaller to big ring without any issues.

Just thought of sharing. Very happy with the LBS.

-maadfw

Good deal

Id still swap that crankset to Shimano though -- im OCD and mixing Japanese and Italian is unsettling.

Like a pizza flavored sushi roll
Likes For J_Chickles: