Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Which Tools For Shimano Hydraulic Brakes?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-08-22, 03:52 PM
Steve_sr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

Hello,

I am currently working on a new gravel bike build with GRX components. I need to collect the special tools (Shimano or otherwise) to service and repair this setup. This includes replacing and terminating the hoses.

I am not a shop so won't be using these on a daily basis, more likely on an annual / semi-annual basis. So I am not looking on spending a fortune on pro grade tools unless they are superior in quality / functionality.

The only thing that I have sort-of looked at so far is the Shimano brake bleeding kit. It appears that there is both an old and new version with some folks liking the old version better. Assuming that I will need the pro kit which version should I look for?

Another question... are any tools, spacer blocks, etc. supplied as part of the brake kits? Unfortunately, the only thing that shop included with the bike was the red pad spacer for shipping the bike. I know that you need different one for bleeding the brakes without the pads installed.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-09-22, 09:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Why not just make friends with the LBS's in your area and when you need a hose cut or something, then let them do it. Then you won't have to buy shoddy tools that are still expensive for things you might only do a time or two.

But Shimano list's every tool you'll need to install, adjust and service your brakes and anything else of theirs. Just find the model and part number for your brakes and find the DM on their technical document site.

https://si.shimano.com/

You can google on the specific tool listed in the DM and usually there'll be similar tools of other brands come up that will be compatible.
Old 08-09-22, 01:10 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Amazon is your friend here.

I would recommend getting a Shimano bleed kit including the little adaptor for the funnel; this is a separate piece to use the funnel on road shifters. An olive/barb tool is handy to install the barbs but you can get away with a vice and hammer if you're careful. I included a link to the one I use; it has a side cutter for hoses as well. Otherwise make sure you have a 7mm wrench for the bleed ports on the calipers since it's not usually included in metric wrench sets. Just use the red wedge that the shop gave you to bleed the brakes.

Shimano Funnel Adaptor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Olive and barb tool
Old 08-09-22, 06:44 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by oris

I would recommend getting a Shimano bleed kit including the little adaptor for the funnel; this is a separate piece to use the funnel on road shifters. An olive/barb tool is handy to install the barbs but you can get away with a vice and hammer if you're careful. I included a link to the one I use; it has a side cutter for hoses as well. Otherwise make sure you have a 7mm wrench for the bleed ports on the calipers since it's not usually included in metric wrench sets. Just use the red wedge that the shop gave you to bleed the brakes.

Shimano Funnel Adaptor

Olive and barb tool
It's orange and it's supposed to go between the pads, definitely DO NOT use it. You want the yellow bleed block specific to your caliper. You NEVER want to bleed brakes w/ the pads in the caliper. The new Shimano bleed kits are available in road and mountain so you don't need the adapter.
ETA: Shimano's List of tools:

List of tools to be used

The following tools are needed for installation/removal, adjustment, and maintenance purposes.

Tool
2 mm hexagon wrench
2.5 mm hexagon wrench
3 mm hexagon wrench
4 mm hexagon wrench
5 mm hexagon wrench
8 mm hexagon wrench
8 mm spanner
7 mm box wrench
Adjustable wrench
Slotted screwdriver
Cross head screwdriver [#1]
Slotted screwdriver (nominal size 0.8 × 4)
TL-BH62
TL-BR001 (syringe and tube)
TL-BR002 (oil funnel and oil stopper)
TL-CT12
TL-BT03S
TL-LR15 / TL-LR10
Micrometer
Hexalobular [#8]

Last edited by cxwrench; 08-09-22 at 06:51 PM.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-09-22, 07:16 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Originally Posted by cxwrench
It's orange and it's supposed to go between the pads, definitely DO NOT use it. You want the yellow bleed block specific to your caliper. You NEVER want to bleed brakes w/ the pads in the caliper. The new Shimano bleed kits are available in road and mountain so you don't need the adapter.
That's good to know! I learned something today. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-10-22, 10:53 AM
Steve_sr

Originally Posted by Iride01
Why not just make friends with the LBS's in your area and when you need a hose cut or something, then let them do it. Then you won't have to buy shoddy tools that are still expensive for things you might only do a time or two.
I do use an LBS for one-time things or which require expensive tools like a $300 crown race puller. However, hauling a whole bike or frame to the LBS is inconvenient and right now they have more work than they can handle.

But Shimano list's every tool you'll need to install, adjust and service your brakes and anything else of theirs. Just find the model and part number for your brakes and find the DM on their technical document site.

https://si.shimano.com/

You can google on the specific tool listed in the DM and usually there'll be similar tools of other brands come up that will be compatible.
Thanks for the general link to Shimano Tech Docs. The DM for the GRX brakes shows some of the tools but often fails to list the tool's part number or whether it might be supplied with replacement parts... which prompted this post.
Old 08-10-22, 11:06 AM
Steve_sr

Originally Posted by oris

Shimano Funnel Adaptor

Olive and barb tool
The funnel adapter link above is BAD. Also is it not included in the complete bleed kit?... Or it looks like the bleed kits have two separate funnels with different thread sizes obviating the need for the adapter?
Old 08-10-22, 11:27 AM
oris
I like speed

Sorry, try this one. This is only needed if you have the older bleed kit; I had one from my MTB days.

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-St-R9...s%2C295&sr=8-1

Base on another poster, they noted the newer Shimano bleed kits have this adapter included or at least can do both MTB and road. Looking at Amazon, there's some other brands you can try such as this one.

https://www.amazon.com/RSN-Sports-Sh...s%2C219&sr=8-7
Old 08-10-22, 12:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Steve_sr
I do use an LBS for one-time things or which require expensive tools like a $300 crown race puller. However, hauling a whole bike or frame to the LBS is inconvenient and right now they have more work than they can handle.
Well I was thinking you'd just mark the hose where it needs to be cut and then just take that down along with any other stuff needed that you can't do without special tools. If they don't have to size the length and deal with the inconvenience of another bike being in the way then things go faster for them. And IMO they are more apt to do it now instead telling you they need to keep it awhile.

The DM for the GRX brakes shows some of the tools but often fails to list the tool's part number or whether it might be supplied with replacement parts... which prompted this post.
Even on the page of the DM that specifically lists all the needed tools? You may be right. I haven't noticed, but I'll try to remember to notice that next time I'm browsing DM's.
Old 08-10-22, 01:27 PM
Steve_sr

Here is what I think I need... Now if I I can just find it in stock:

TL-BH61 - (Y8H198030) - Hose holding blocks for cutting and barb insertion
TL-BR - (Y13098630) - Complete bleed kit 5/7mm funnels and caliper spacer blocks
Y83998020 - 100ml brake fluid mineral oil.

This shouldn't set the bank account back too far. I also saw a BASIC bleed kit (TL-BT03S, Y8H498090) but it only has single funnel (likely 5mm) and NO caliper spacer blocks. Not readily usable, at least for me.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 08-10-22, 01:30 PM
Steve_sr

Here is another question/issue that I have run into when working on motorcycle or car hydraulic systems. Air seems to like to get in through the threads on the caliper bleed screw. Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening?
Old 08-10-22, 02:12 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
If it's a problem or you think it's going to be put a wrap of teflon tape on it.
Old 08-10-22, 02:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Close the bleed screw just before you stop moving fluid and air shouldn't be able to get into it via the loose threads.
Old 08-10-22, 03:27 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
Don't crush the o-ring by over-zealous tightening.
Old 08-10-22, 03:47 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Steve_sr
Hello,

I am currently working on a new gravel bike build with GRX components. I need to collect the special tools (Shimano or otherwise) to service and repair this setup. This includes replacing and terminating the hoses.e
I'm doing the same, and everything is done apart from hooking up the brakes.

My kid just bought the correct hose-cutting tool, which in retrospect we should have had years ago.

I've got the very recent latest GRX calipers and an ancient pair of Di2/hydraulic R785 levers (they came with post-mount calipers, which were essentially relabeled XT from 2014, but the rear was incompatible with the new flat-mount frame, and the adapter on the fork looked ugly).

I'm hoping this will be fairly straightforward, but I can try to document some of it as I go along if you think it might help.
Old 08-10-22, 04:35 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

This looks pretty good (and it uses the latest Ultegra as an example):

Old 08-10-22, 05:51 PM
Steve_sr

Close the bleed screw just before you stop moving fluid and air shouldn't be able to get into it via the loose threads.
Looking at the IPL for the caliper it looks like Shimano fixed this possibility by including an o-ring under the bleed screw to seal the threads.