Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Your Favorite Youtube Touring Site

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Your Favorite Youtube Touring Site

Old 02-19-23, 04:57 AM
pakeboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by M1T
When I decided to try out bike touring, like many, I started with road touring on a road touring bike. Which led to exploring touring videos on YouTube. My first "Subscribe" 7 years ago was to Darren Alff of Bicycle Touring Pro. I eventually found Forestry Forest / Simon Lambert which suited the style I was gravitating towards. Ihoan came next (most will know his story, but if not, check him out). There are certainly others to view like The Path Less Pedaled (some touring, but mostly reviews) and Cycling About with one of my favorites, Alee Denham.

All that said, if I had to pick just one favorite, I couldn't! Simon at Forestry Forest and Iohan Gueorguive of the "See the World" series are both just too good. Simon, although he gravitated away from his excellent cycling videos to Van Life, is still worth viewing to get ideas and inspiration (1 video every 10 days vs a cycling video which takes months to properly plan, film, and edit). His "Going East Across the West" is still my all time favorite touring episode. Has a slightly better production talent in my opinion, but Iohan's video's take us to unimaginable places and situations. Both are what I'd consider hardcore.

Who is your favorite?
https://www.youtube.com/@waddo
Old 02-19-23, 09:35 AM
M1T

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by waddo
To tell the truth, there are very few YouTube channels I can stomach. Let's face it, it's the domain of the look at me narcissist. I prefer real documentaries where the main subject isn't the person pointing the camera at themselves. Call me crazy.
Oh yes, the fine line between having a channel in the first place, the narration, scripting, shot selection, etc., vs. just going out and doing it yourself (which I do!). I shy away from any video that comes across more like an I-Me-My, "Hey look at us being all wild and crazy," videos (especially the ones where the narrator has vocal fry). No thank you. Seems most long distance cycling video makers are not that type of person, and most are fun to watch.

Less talking here, and lots more cycling footage:

I watch cycling videos whilst perched on my bike trainer during the cold Colorado winters... Makes the mundane less mundane!

Last edited by M1T; 02-19-23 at 11:02 AM. Reason: ever so slight correction for clarity
Old 02-23-23, 05:35 PM
VomitSpeed
Pre-Roadkill

Bikes: Easy Racers Gold Rush, Surly Bridge Club, Surly LHT, etc.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Narcissists R Us

Originally Posted by waddo
To tell the truth, there are very few YouTube channels I can stomach. Let's face it, it's the domain of the look at me narcissist. I prefer real documentaries where the main subject isn't the person pointing the camera at themselves.
I am on YouTube so people will look at me. I thought YouTube was exclusively for us narcissists and it should really be called MeTube. Sometimes I blab incoherently directly into the camera just to hear myself talk.

Anyway, Eddy Voorspoels made a documentary of cycletourist's wisdom for YouTube. He plays his own music. It's a very calming video with philosophy, english subtitles and subtleties. Warning: graphic failure of lowrider rack:

Old 02-23-23, 10:54 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I agree that Paul Suchecki channel is really good. He's down to earth, no nonsense and gives good suggestions and advice. Seems like an interesting fellow also.

I recently watched his Natchez Trace Parkway video and like the others, he just seems to take it easy and have fun on the tour.
Old 02-28-23, 07:13 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 339 Posts
Thanks all for sharing! A couple to add:

Bike Touring Mike
https://www.youtube.com/@BikeTouringMike

Hobocyclist (EDIT: not sure why the link isn't working, he's easy enough to find on YouTube)

Chains & Chords
https://www.youtube.com/@ChainsandChords

I hope to be doing bike touring videos myself, so it's helpful to see what others are doing and how.

Last edited by john m flores; 03-01-23 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-01-23, 07:09 AM
Indigo82

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Some nice videos here too but doesn't seem active nowadays
https://www.youtube.com/@MikeyTWilliams
Old 03-03-23, 09:53 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts
I've been watching PNW Bikepacking lately. Mostly because many of their routes are within a days drive from my house, but also because I enjoy their style and editing.
Just finished this one

Last edited by mtnbud; 03-04-23 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-05-23, 10:52 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
yes they have good natured ribbing and trips that I do at home when not on vacation.

glad someone recommended this channel 👍

Originally Posted by mtnbud
I've been watching PNW Bikepacking lately. Mostly because many of their routes are within a days drive from my house, but also because I enjoy their style and editing.
Just finished this one
Likes For PedalingWalrus: