Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What does a guy do?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What does a guy do?

Old 03-08-23, 03:21 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
What does a guy do?

Gym instuctress directly in front of me. . . . And one to my right, sitting in. Time to Sprint, up against the best. The music starts up, about 140 bpm, loud with thumping bass "Up guys! Up on the pedals . . . GO!"
We start up as one; the warm up.
These ladies aren't youngsters (though they look it) and fit as a butcher's dog.
Any self respecting dude, or particularly a newbie might be feeling a little intimidated here. Me? Mid seventies but bike was good to go, though it had only one wheel.
I found out the value of motivation at that time. It is everything. And these girls do it so well, it rubs off on everyone there.. That's their job.
I'm addicted!
And - a huge plus - you don't crash gym bikes.
The bikes in my gym are Matrix CXCs and they are useless. Don't ever buy one.

Last edited by peterws; 03-08-23 at 03:24 AM.
Likes For peterws:
Old 03-08-23, 07:32 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
A cycling-specific workout facility? I can't stand those places. Loud music, crazy lighting making it look like a nightclub, bicycles going nowhere. And what's with the mirrored wall(s)? More pwer to you if that's your thing, but a big 'NOPE', not for me.
Likes For skidder:
Old 03-08-23, 07:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Dear Penthouse....
Old 03-08-23, 08:24 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 340 Posts
I have not taken many spin classes but the ones that I have taken were fun. Purists will scoff, but I was sweaty, winded, and smiling at the end. And I know a handful of spin class devotees that now ride outdoors as well, so there's that.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 03-08-23, 10:15 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Spin classes or indoor cycling in general isn't my cup of tea, but for those who it works out I am sure it is great.

When I do want an indoor workout I am inclined to use my concept 2 rowing machine as a change of pace from riding.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 03-08-23, 10:24 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
a handful of spin class devotees that now ride outdoors as well
iow, Exercise Enthusiasts with zero bike-handling skills. We usually refer to those folks as "weaponized" riders. Best to give them a wide berth on the road.
Old 03-08-23, 10:54 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
iow, Exercise Enthusiasts with zero bike-handling skills. We usually refer to those folks as "weaponized" riders. Best to give them a wide berth on the road.
Same goes for many triathletes. Lots of power, not a lot of skills.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-08-23, 11:22 AM
john m flores 

We should definitely discourage noobs from falling in love with outdoor cycling and keep it for our graying, balding selves.
Old 03-08-23, 12:56 PM
peterws

I guess some of my enthusiasm hasn't rubbed off here! But there is a lot o' fun to be had, and if you're pushed for time, or the weather's bad . . . .what's not to like?
Virtual (instructor-less) classes are ok for those times when you want to think your own thoughts.
There's a lot of old cyclists in there now. Two I spoke to were both over 80; a married couple. In fact the classes are becoming seriously unbalanced because of it. I was the first male to do this here when Les Mills arrived.
I can see trouble ahead!
Old 03-08-23, 01:22 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
I did spinning for a while. What struck me is how different it was than cycling. For one thing, they often got off the saddle and spun at a crazy high rate. Good for getting in shape, I am sure, but definitely not something I do when cycling (if I am off the seat, the cadence is slow, not fast). But it was nice for a change. I might pick it up again, now that I'm a silver sneakerer.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 03-08-23, 04:18 PM
peterws

Originally Posted by Biker395
I did spinning for a while. What struck me is how different it was than cycling. For one thing, they often got off the saddle and spun at a crazy high rate. Good for getting in shape, I am sure, but definitely not something I do when cycling (if I am off the seat, the cadence is slow, not fast). But it was nice for a change. I might pick it up again, now that I'm a silver sneakerer.
Interesting. High cadence riding, out of the seat on a road bike is a no go for me too, but I've seen, and been passed by others who do this. Then there's the crazy but unmissable TDF stage finishes . . .
Main reason for me doin' spinning classes is the number of crashes and serious near misses I've had in recent times. Eyesight's not brilliant and if it gets worse I'll be stopping driving too.
Nor does it help when I've crashed twice just going to and from the gym. On the cycleway . . .
Likes For peterws:
Old 03-08-23, 05:23 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by peterws
Interesting. High cadence riding, out of the seat on a road bike is a no go for me too, but I've seen, and been passed by others who do this. Then there's the crazy but unmissable TDF stage finishes . . .
Main reason for me doin' spinning classes is the number of crashes and serious near misses I've had in recent times. Eyesight's not brilliant and if it gets worse I'll be stopping driving too.
Nor does it help when I've crashed twice just going to and from the gym. On the cycleway . . .
Yea, definitely a different experience, and certainly safer. I'm trying to transition to other forms of exercise other than my usual 20 mile 2000 foot daily ride, so spinning (as well as swimming) might be in the cards soon as well.

Old 03-08-23, 05:54 PM
john m flores 

Yeah, my friend was a world-class age-group duathlete, and she taught spin. I took one of her classes and it was basically all HIIT. Pretty intense.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 03-08-23, 06:38 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Took a guy out for a ride that is an avid spin class Guru. Sized him up on my UNIVEGA and off we went. Nice little route that was mostly down hill fast and slow. On the way back from the river he said lets go for it... Ha

I squashed him like a bug!

But honestly if he knew how to use Friction Shifters and Rat Traps it would not have happened. Still... It was a nice feeling...

As to the OP: Remember when taking a class with instuctress'es in tight clothing, Sunglasses can keep ya off the dirty old man list... Stud...
Old 03-08-23, 09:44 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
When much of the spin class heads out for beers afterwards, that IS the group I might consider joining!
Old 03-09-23, 02:55 AM
peterws

Originally Posted by zandoval
T
As to the OP: Remember when taking a class with instuctress'es in tight clothing, Sunglasses can keep ya off the dirty old man list... Stud...
If I started wearing sunglasses now, it'd put me firmly ON that list!
Nor would my eyes benefit from what I saw . . . it's dark in there, y'know.
Time to get ready otherwise I'll get a duff bike . . . .
Likes For peterws:
Old 03-09-23, 06:39 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12171 Post(s)
Liked 1,479 Times in 1,092 Posts

Yea, definitely a different experience, and certainly safer. I'm trying to transition to other forms of exercise other than my usual 20 mile 2000 foot daily ride, so spinning (as well as swimming) might be in the cards soon as well.
This is the best:

https://shop.concept2.com/indoor-row...SAAEgLacvD_BwE
Old 03-09-23, 06:46 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
But there is a lot o' fun to be had, and if you're pushed for time, or the weather's bad . . . .what's not to like?
Neither of those are a plus for me when it comes to spin classes other than getting in from hot weather, but I just get out at the crack of dawn or pre dawn. Being retired I have time to ride every day and it takes longer to go to a spin class than to just ride out my front door and hit the trails anyway. On the weather thing, I am weird in that I love bad weather. Cold, pouring rain, whatever, I love it all. I ride every day here. I miss the cold and snow now that I am in Tallahassee. Up north I often did other trail activites and actually trail ran with my dog more than I rode for quite a few years. She eventually got too old to run with me so I can ride every day now. Cold mornings where I hit the trails on snowshoes or skis instead of the bike are one of the things I miss here.

Half of what I love about riding is being outoors. Hiking, running, snowshoeing, xc skiing, kayaking or canoeing scratch that itch spinning really doesn't. If I do stay indoors I will start a movie or binge watch a tv series and hop on the concept 2 erg but it is a poor substitute for getting outdoors. I might do it sometimes when the heat is really oppressive and I am recovering from an injury and/or out of condition and unable to deal with the heat.
Old 03-09-23, 08:35 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts
I did it for a short period and was surprised how difficult it was compared to actual cycling. I could not complete the class without slowing down to rest from time to time.
Many of the people in the class were folks I ride with that can’t keep up with me on the road but destroyed me in the class. I know many of them prefer spin classes due to work and time schedules so I guess it makes sense.
It’s just not my thing looking at the same thing pedaling like crazy. Felt like a hamster wheel.
Old 03-09-23, 09:02 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by Wildwood
When much of the spin class heads out for beers afterwards, that IS the group I might consider joining!
Sold! I'll buy the first round.

Old 03-09-23, 09:33 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
I'm upping the spinning game - with my duo-athlete training.
After bicycle 'spin' class in the shallow end, we go to the deep end - treading water with that thing attached has really made me a stronger swimmer.

I would upgrade from pink steel to nude CF, but the pink matches my outfit, and a matching outfit for CF might be... .... expensive?

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-09-23 at 11:44 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 03-09-23, 09:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Gym instuctress directly in front of me. . . . And one to my right, sitting in. Time to Sprint, up against the best. The music starts up, about 140 bpm, loud with thumping bass "Up guys! Up on the pedals . . . GO!"
We start up as one; the warm up.
These ladies aren't youngsters (though they look it) and fit as a butcher's dog.
Any self respecting dude, or particularly a newbie might be feeling a little intimidated here. Me? Mid seventies but bike was good to go, though it had only one wheel.
I found out the value of motivation at that time. It is everything. And these girls do it so well, it rubs off on everyone there.. That's their job.
I'm addicted!
And - a huge plus - you don't crash gym bikes.
The bikes in my gym are Matrix CXCs and they are useless. Don't ever buy one.
get some digits? sorry couldn't resist