Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel bike choices in the $1300 range

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel bike choices in the $1300 range

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-23, 09:44 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4942 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
Originally Posted by Breadfan
I like both. At the moment I am building up an old vintage steel frame into a gravel rider so I'd rather go AL for the new one. But I may have to bend a little and get mech brakes.
IMO...Your initial choice of the Grizl seems like it checks all the boxes you're looking for, including hydraulic brakes, which (to me) are an important factor for a gravel bike. The Grizl looks like a very versatile platform that can be whatever kind of gravel bike you want it to be, depending on how you set up fit and tires.
Old 03-28-23, 09:45 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4942 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Downtube shifters are more suitable for road bikes and would be awkward on that type of bike. Besides, he probably wants indexed shifting so there's nothing that would work anyway. Rim brakes would be fine but those are almost non-existent in this space, so you're going to be forced into disc brakes whether you want them or not. It's the hydraulic part that is a big ask for this price point.
You missed the sarcasm font.
Old 03-28-23, 09:47 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
not even the grizl with a <gasp> suspension fork? https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gravel-...rahmenfarbe=GN

From Canyon's website:

So yeah, there are a couple other minor differences that make one more the backwoods-bikepacker than the other: 45mm tires on the Grizl vs 40 on the Grail; the Grail has fewer mounting points for racks and stuff; the (minor) geometry tweaks. So, going off of one sentence (heck, just a portion of a sentence at that), I thought I'd poke the discussion
Totally unrelated- never change the pic next to your name. I genuinely associate you with looking like Vince Vaughn at this point. It would crack my brain if you suddenly changed it to Elmer Fudd or something similar.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-28-23, 11:08 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Totally unrelated- never change the pic next to your name. I genuinely associate you with looking like Vince Vaughn at this point. It would crack my brain if you suddenly changed it to Elmer Fudd or something similar.
LOL yeah not sure if I look like him, but I do throw that look at times ...and bigfoot riding a bike is the same for me --meaning I totally associate the pic to your posts, I only need to scan for the avatar....

Last edited by superdex; 03-28-23 at 11:12 AM.
Likes For superdex:
Old 03-29-23, 06:50 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
Well, I got a little worried about the fit of the Grizl 6 and I’ve decided to scrap that mission. I’m going to do what I have wanted to do along, and that is to build a gravel bike form the frame up. Last night I ordered a Tiagra groupset (with hydraulic brakes, of course), a DT Swiss 1800 Wheelset, a set of Continental Tierra 700cx40mm tires and I got a pretty good deal on a Chinese aluminum frame and steel fork, it should be good and it’s just to get me started. Ritchey bars also ordered and I will hold off on the neck and try a few of mine first. Brooks B17 seat ordered. The real end goal of this adventure was to braze a very light steel lugged frame and that will be in the forefront once I get this bike built. I just needed something in the meantime to get me by, but have all of parts and the groupset I wanted when the time came. I will start another thread soon. Thanks to everyone for the replies, you have been very helpful. And amusing. Cool site.
Likes For Breadfan:
Old 03-29-23, 08:34 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,875 Times in 1,078 Posts
lightweight steel / lugged gravel bike sounds like a plan ... awesome plan
Old 04-02-23, 05:51 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Breadfan
Well, I got a little worried about the fit of the Grizl 6 and I’ve decided to scrap that mission. I’m going to do what I have wanted to do along, and that is to build a gravel bike form the frame up. Last night I ordered a Tiagra groupset (with hydraulic brakes, of course), a DT Swiss 1800 Wheelset, a set of Continental Tierra 700cx40mm tires and I got a pretty good deal on a Chinese aluminum frame and steel fork, it should be good and it’s just to get me started. Ritchey bars also ordered and I will hold off on the neck and try a few of mine first. Brooks B17 seat ordered. The real end goal of this adventure was to braze a very light steel lugged frame and that will be in the forefront once I get this bike built. I just needed something in the meantime to get me by, but have all of parts and the groupset I wanted when the time came. I will start another thread soon. Thanks to everyone for the replies, you have been very helpful. And amusing. Cool site.
If you are building a gravel bike you will be MUCH happier with a GRX 400 group over a Tiagra and I believe the cost difference is not too much. GRX 400 will have absolutely excellent hydraulic disc brakes. If budget is tight then GRX 400 is an excellent solution!
Old 04-03-23, 05:52 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
I was really leaning that way but I could not get the the GRX crankset (it was a Tiagra) with the GRX groupset at the time of purchase so I went with Tiagra all the way around. Of course, I read from from some of these larger websites that said they were identical, so at the time of purchase, I had no worries. I've read a little more on it now and see that there are some differences but I won't lose any sleep over the Tiagra vs GRX 400. My gravel riding is pretty cushy compared to most others gravel riding. I live in Fla and everything is pretty much flat where I bike. I'm 57 and I don't for see doing any serious technical stuff. I just like flat gravel roads and leaf covered roads that meander through the woods. Hell, I'm riding a R300 (Tiagra/Sora) with 30mm tires right now and everything seems to do fine.
Likes For Breadfan:
Old 04-03-23, 05:58 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 445 Posts
I like Tiagra. I have it on my 2009 Windsor Tourist, which is used mostly for gravel touring (rail trail paths) and inclement weather training. It has thousands of miles on it and still works as new.
Old 04-03-23, 08:34 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,875 Times in 1,078 Posts
I thought I read or was told the lower level GRX calipers and Tiagra were very similar if possibly identical except for the branding - ? - but I have not compared them

the upper GRX 800 series caliper uses ceramic piston (similar to 105 / Ultegra) - the lower level GRX uses resin piston (same as Tiagra) ... ?

GRX calipers might use different hose attachment (banjo vs straight ?) - again not sure / can’t recall

Tiagra calipers are flat mount and accept the finned pads ... ‘narrow track’ ... (same as GRX ?)

currently in the final steps of Sora 9 to Tiagra / GRX / etc conversion ... GRX FD is definitely different compared to other Shimano FD’s ... additional setup steps and adjustments ... cable routing is even unique (after it exits the securing pinch bolt) - loops and passes through a small plastic top cover that snaps into place

Last edited by t2p; 04-03-23 at 08:42 AM.