Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

PNW dropper post stuck in down position

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-23, 05:24 AM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

My cascasde dropper post is stuck in the down position. It was slow to go down on a few sections on my last ride, but operational. Near the end of the ride, I put it in the down position and it refuses to come back up now.

Any ideas on what can be done to repair it?

Thanks

Old 03-29-23, 06:10 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I contacted PNW. They were helpful and started a replacement process. When I pulled it out the lower assembly collar was loose. I tightened it and all was well. So pull and inspect first. Then contact PNW.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 03-30-23 at 05:47 PM.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 03-29-23, 08:53 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Did you try loosening the seat collar clamp? It can sometimes bind the post.

Also, are you sure then cable is not in need of tightening?

Not sure how old yours is, but they sometimes need cleaning and lubing.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-29-23, 09:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Did you try loosening the seat collar clamp? It can sometimes bind the post.

Also, are you sure then cable is not in need of tightening?

Not sure how old yours is, but they sometimes need cleaning and lubing.
Lube. My instant first thought. Any water that gets on that post is going to do what water does, its damnedest to weasel inside and stay there to corrode whatever it can. I'd consider talking to the manufacturer to ensure no lube goes where it doesn't belong and prevent the stop to the slide down from happening. ("I lubed the post. It slid down to the bottom bracket and I rode home with my head between my knees." That image might be with me a while!)
Old 03-30-23, 06:15 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Lube. My instant first thought. Any water that gets on that post is going to do what water does, its damnedest to weasel inside and stay there to corrode whatever it can. I'd consider talking to the manufacturer to ensure no lube goes where it doesn't belong and prevent the stop to the slide down from happening. ("I lubed the post. It slid down to the bottom bracket and I rode home with my head between my knees." That image might be with me a while!)
Just to be clear, I am talking about cleaning and lubing the internal parts of the post. There are instruction in the PNW site for that.

As far as the outside, on one of my Cascades, I need to use carbon paste for the install. Otherwise, in order for the whole post to stay put, the clamp needs to be too tight for the inner shaft to come up on its own when you want to raise the seat.

As a temporary fix, I’ve used stanchion lube (finish line) to get the post working again.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-17-23, 06:40 AM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
I took the post apart and found the internal mechanism is controlled by a piece of string. Literally a string or yarn whatever you want to call it. It had broken off from some attachment point further up the post. I called PNW. They repaired it and sent it back to me.