Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Heads up when riding your E

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Heads up when riding your E

Old 02-20-23, 12:07 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Sorry to hear that as I liked your posts about the Bike Friday, but glad you're still rolling away, Ride on.
Thanks. I still have it, keep flip flopping on whether to sell it, wishful thinking i might ride it again, lol, i guess. In a couple months when the weather is spring-like, i'll have to decide for real. Funny but when I got sick all I thought about was how i wanted to find
a way to keep riding. Cycling truly is the best medicine for mental health as well as physical!
Old 02-20-23, 12:15 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
My in-laws are in their mid 80's, prior to COVID times,
FIL used to be able to ride his 20 fat tire ebike to his favorite fishing spot few miles from his driveway,
go for grocery runs few blocks away.
But now getting them out for a walk gets to be a production and a half in the colder months.

I have had the in-laws try tadpole trike before; getting on & off the low seating of tadpole trikes is difficult for them with balance & flexibility issues.
Just getting in & out of a low car seat/door is problematic, but they seem to be okay with upright trikes.
Their top speed rarely go above 10 mph, minimal pedaling, likely never will take any corner at significant speed faster than walking pace.

I pre-ordered a Lectric XP eTrike for them, for $1500, even if they don't like if I figure it would be an easy re-sale, or even my wife or someone else in their church can use it.
My elderly neighbor bought one of these and had trouble riding it. It can be hard to steer straight on crowned roads and cornering can be sketchy. Hope it works out for them.
Old 02-20-23, 01:21 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
My elderly neighbor bought one of these and had trouble riding it. It can be hard to steer straight on crowned roads and cornering can be sketchy. Hope it works out for them.
Likely, your neighbor does not have the same trike, since the pre-order only started 2 weeks ago and delivery of Lectric XP Trikes do not start until APR 2023.

Like I said in my previous message, the top speed of my in-laws are not likely to exceed 10-15 mph.
Old 02-20-23, 06:40 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
That's an incredibly ignorant statement. Because someone has arthritis in their knees or back does not mean they should not ride an e-bike. Being older doesn't mean you are
declining mentally nor does it necessarily mean your reflexes have diminished substantially. And most likely your judgment is better than someone young who thinks they
are invincible. I can't ride a 2 wheeler anymore due to balance issues but I am quite capable of riding my electrified tadpole trike.
The study referenced mentioned EBikes (2 wheelers), not ETrikes (3 wheelers). I am sure you would agree that those are two are completely different machines.
Old 02-20-23, 07:58 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Jan Feetz
The study referenced mentioned EBikes (2 wheelers), not ETrikes (3 wheelers). I am sure you would agree that those are two are completely different machines.
At 72 I was riding an e-assist 2 wheeler with absolutely zero problems as my main vehicle in congested urban traffic. And again, i bet I was a better rider than many of the younger folks I see out there on e-bikes with no helmet, going too fast for the crowded conditions, etc. So no it doesn't make any difference. The cognitive and reflex abilities needed are exactly the same. The only difference with a recumbent trike is you don't need as much balance ability, you still need the same abilities to judge speed, distance, braking, passing (actually more in this area since it's much wider) and turning (you can tip a trike if you try).

Last edited by linberl; 02-20-23 at 08:01 PM.
Likes For linberl:
Old 02-24-23, 01:40 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by goldfinch
I picked a recumbent trike (with more upright seating angle options) rather than something like this one you posted because the center of gravity on a tadpole is much lower and you really have to try to tip it. The Lectric one should be fine if kept at very low speeds (~10mph). I typically cruise at 10mph on my recumbent unpowered, occasionally up to 15/16 mph on flat stretches with assist, and there's no issue with road crowns or anything else. Of course, my fat Big Bens probably help. Turns are actually super fun, like a go-cart, lol. Wheels never leave the ground, no wobble.

Last edited by linberl; 02-24-23 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-24-23, 03:41 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Originally Posted by linberl
At 72 I was riding an e-assist 2 wheeler with absolutely zero problems as my main vehicle in congested urban traffic. And again, i bet I was a better rider than many of the younger folks I see out there on e-bikes with no helmet, going too fast for the crowded conditions, etc. So no it doesn't make any difference. The cognitive and reflex abilities needed are exactly the same. The only difference with a recumbent trike is you don't need as much balance ability, you still need the same abilities to judge speed, distance, braking, passing (actually more in this area since it's much wider) and turning (you can tip a trike if you try).
Ebike vs Etrike, yes there is a difference, just like Bicycle and Tricycle are different. One requires balance the other not so much. Seriouisly doubt that amount of injuries shown would of occured on an ETrike.
A person whose physical issues make it difficult or impossible to ride a traditional bike doesnt belong on an E Bike
Old 02-24-23, 04:44 PM
linberl

Ebike vs Etrike, yes there is a difference, just like Bicycle and Tricycle are different. One requires balance the other not so much. Seriouisly doubt that amount of injuries shown would of occured on an ETrike.
A person whose physical issues make it difficult or impossible to ride a traditional bike doesnt belong on an E Bike
Do you have any data showing the injuries were the result of balance? Simon Cowell is a well known example of multiple ebike injuries and they were the result of simply not being familiar with the bike and going too fast. Had nothing to do with balance.
Most ebike injuries are from loss on control due to speed - go look at the data that exists - and a lot of them are young people or they are older people who haven't been on a bike in a while or are unfamiliar with ebikes. Arthritis does not impact the ability to ride an
ebike; an ebike actually makes it less painful, that is all. Obviously you are younger and don't know what you are talking about......get back to me when you are in your 60s, lol.
Likes For linberl:
Old 02-24-23, 04:51 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Show actual data. Without actual facts all you're doing is stating your "opinion".
Old 02-27-23, 01:54 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12172 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
I'm in my 70s.

I exercise because I don't want to move like a person in their 70s. As a result, my muscles and bones are tougher than a typical person my age.

So when I fall, I get up and keep going. I'm not frail.

Little surprised no one picked up on physical condition as the reason old folks get hurt worse..

Btw, after my cancer, I couldn't ride a regular bike. I have 2 superb bicycles, I was just too much of a wreck. But after I got an ebike, I could ride, and my typical ride is a 20 mile loop. It would be wonderful to get back on a regular bike, but I doubt that will happen.
Likes For late:
Old 03-02-23, 09:23 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Originally Posted by tds101
Show actual data. Without actual facts all you're doing is stating your "opinion".
This is my own opinion. Is this not what these/this forum is for, stating one's own opinion? I've based my opinion on my own "eye" test and this report referenced just reinforces that.
Old 03-03-23, 07:29 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 448 Posts
This is my own opinion. Is this not what these/this forum is for, stating one's own opinion? I've based my opinion on my own "eye" test and this report referenced just reinforces that.
Anyone is entitled to their opinion; whether that opinion is "valid" is a different story.
Anyone's personal "eye" test is mostly anecdotal; the sky may look blue to you, but someone else on earth is seeing red, orange or purple sky at the same time.
Providing evidence & source is what makes your opinion "valid" in any discussion, any forum.

An opinion such as: "A person whose physical issues make it difficult or impossible to ride a traditional bike doesnt belong on an E Bike",
it may be your observation; but far from reality when you have not seen what people may be capable of in physical or neurological recovery.

Last edited by cat0020; 03-04-23 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-03-23, 07:51 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Forums are for discussion, but stating opinions as facts (which seems to be what you're doing) is hogwash. Maybe you should be banned from riding because you wear glasses, or maybe because you experience flatulence. Opinion doesn't matter when facts are what counts. Who cares what you think, whan a blanket statements making the many suffer for the few are what you think matters.

As for the article, we're not all in the great biking capital of"Switzerland",...

Last edited by tds101; 03-03-23 at 07:57 AM.