Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Upgrading from 1x GRX to 1x GRX di2

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 02-14-23, 01:28 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 279 Posts

OK, I'm thinking of upgrading my 1x GRX group to a 1x GRX di2. As far as I can tell, all I would have to upgrade is the right shifter, the rear derailleur, and then get the battery and wiring... Am I missing something? Thanks in advance...

Old 02-14-23, 07:54 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 365 Times in 196 Posts
Yep, you got it. Shifter, 'A' junction box (you need this for the battery charging port), battery, derailer, and wires to go between those 4 parts - and probably a 'B' junction and wire unless you do something out of the ordinary with your battery to avoid needing it. And grommets to go on the wires where they enter/exit the frame - Santa Cruz should offer these.

Last edited by lasauge; 02-14-23 at 10:42 PM.
Likes For lasauge:
Old 02-15-23, 06:14 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
A B junction isn’t strictly needed, without it you would need to run a wire from the battery to junction A and another from junction A to the derailleur. If you do just a right lever, this is easy enough, all available A junction boxes have at least 3 ports. The downside is the wires would be very long (and depending on bike size the longest available wire might not be long enough) and you give up some flexibility for future changes or additions to the system.
Likes For grolby:
Old 02-15-23, 04:10 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
OK, I'm thinking of upgrading my 1x GRX group to a 1x GRX di2.
May I ask why? For 1/4 s faster shifts?
Old 02-15-23, 04:22 PM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
May I ask why? For 1/4 s faster shifts?
Less maintenance. All my road bikes with di2 shift perfectly after thousand of miles. The same can't be said of mechanical shifting, where the cables stretch. Trust me, I was a skeptic until I tried di2.
Old 02-15-23, 04:53 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
Yep, you got it. Shifter, 'A' junction box (you need this for the battery charging port), battery, derailer, and wires to go between those 4 parts - and probably a 'B' junction and wire unless you do something out of the ordinary with your battery to avoid needing it. And grommets to go on the wires where they enter/exit the frame - Santa Cruz should offer these.
Shimano makes a device for their off road groups called the SCMT800. Its a h-bar mounted display unit that also has 3 - E-tube ports, a battery port and a BT connection built in. You can use this to send 2 E-Tube cables to the battery and a R derailer as well as R shifter. Also has a useful battery status display as well as gear indicator.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-15-23, 05:18 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Less maintenance. All my road bikes with di2 shift perfectly after thousand of miles. The same can't be said of mechanical shifting, where the cables stretch. Trust me, I was a skeptic until I tried di2.
This is an excellent reason. I was once stranded after my RD cable snapped. From then on I resolved to replace shift cables every other year.
Old 02-15-23, 05:55 PM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Shimano makes a device for their off road groups called the SCMT800. It's a h-bar mounted display unit that also has 3 - E-tube ports, a battery port and a BT connection built in. You can use this to send 2 E-Tube cables to the battery and a R derailer as well as R shifter. Also has a useful battery status display as well as gear indicator.
Ooh, I like that... I hadn't seen that before. Thanks, I may just end up using that...
Old 02-15-23, 07:22 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Ooh, I like that... I hadn't seen that before. Thanks, I may just end up using that...
It saves you the added expense of a WU111 BT unit plus short cable.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 02-20-23, 10:48 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I'd love to see "after" photos if you go through with this.
I have a 3 year old GRX 1x bike and am thinking of doing the same. Was debating SRAM AXS just because it seems more simple to install, but hadn't thought about the idea of GRX 1x only needing the right shifter, and keeping the existing left.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 02-21-23, 11:59 AM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 239 Posts
I believe GRX is the only remaining Shimano Di2 groupset that is still fully wired. Dura Ace, Ultegra, and the new 105 use wireless shifters. Given that GRX was introduced in 2019, an update would seem likely sooner rather than later. If this is a "nice to have" upgrade, you might consider waiting a bit to see what comes out this year. Depends on the value one places on reducing wires/cables. Just a thought.
Likes For bike_tom:
Old 02-21-23, 01:16 PM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by bike_tom
I believe GRX is the only remaining Shimano Di2 groupset that is still fully wired. Dura Ace, Ultegra, and the new 105 use wireless shifters. Given that GRX was introduced in 2019, an update would seem likely sooner rather than later. If this is a "nice to have" upgrade, you might consider waiting a bit to see what comes out this year. Depends on the value one places on reducing wires/cables. Just a thought.
Funny you just posted that... one of my buddies just said the same thing. Might not be a bad idea to hold off for a few months.
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 02-21-23, 04:13 PM
BMW1150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since this a electronic vs mechanical thread I like to pose this question. Anyone have any thoughts/concerns of using electronic shifting and the impact dirt and gravel roads would have on longevity? Long time mt.biker and I see the abuse my bike takes compare to my road bike. Trying to decide on SRAM or go with GRX.
Old 02-21-23, 07:26 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by BMW1150
Since this a electronic vs mechanical thread I like to pose this question. Anyone have any thoughts/concerns of using electronic shifting and the impact dirt and gravel roads would have on longevity? Long time mt.biker and I see the abuse my bike takes compare to my road bike. Trying to decide on SRAM or go with GRX.
I don't have an e-shifting bike, but it seems that cable and housings are more susceptible to ingress of moisture and/or fine dirt than signal wires, which can be completely sealed.

Regarding electronic groupsets, Shimano has a single battery under the seat post which requires wiring to the derailleur(s), whereas SRAM has one battery per derailleur. The former system seems more weatherproof, while the latter allows easier installation and replacement.
Old 02-22-23, 05:23 AM
BMW1150

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, makes sense. You raised some good points.
Old 02-22-23, 06:31 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by BMW1150
Di2 and Sram elec work better on a mt. bike then a road bike, IMO. Mostly impervious to dirt and mud. So an even better reason to go this route if the bike gets dirty. Only concern I see is trashing the rear derailer, they are expensive to replace.
Old 02-22-23, 07:39 AM
BMW1150

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Di2 and Sram elec work better on a mt. bike then a road bike, IMO. Mostly impervious to dirt and mud. So an even better reason to go this route if the bike gets dirty. Only concern I see is trashing the rear derailer, they are expensive to replace.
Interesting, you think just the opposite. Appreciate the input.