Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Wider tire for a Miyata 210?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-23, 11:12 PM
Blitzie

Bikes: Raleigh C-20; Miyata Two-Ten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I'm in the process of buying a 1986 (I think) model, and it appears from the literature posted the tires are 1 1/4 and the wheels are 700C. Doesn't make sense to me - one metric the other American. Guess I'll know more when I look at it this Sunday. My old Specialized Expedition had 700 X 35C; I liked that size for being able to ride off pavement sometimes. Would it work to get a wider tread on the Miyata?
Old 04-01-23, 09:55 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
It's probably a 27" wheel. That limits tire selection. I've never used them, but it looks like 1 3/8" knobby tires are available. If the bike has cantilever brakes, there's probably plenty of room for those.
Old 04-03-23, 09:10 AM
Blitzie

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
A website states 1 3/8" equals 34.9mm. Close enough for who it's for.
Old 04-14-23, 09:38 AM
billew
meandering nomad

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I have a 210 and use Kenda K161 knobbies. I use fenders and they fit well. I find these to be good enough to be on my third set. They are cheap and last well, They are only a few miles slower than 1 1/4". They run great on rough railtrails dirt roads and street.
Old 04-14-23, 11:16 AM
Blitzie

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks. Nice to know.
Old 04-16-23, 12:23 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitzie
I'm in the process of buying a 1986 (I think) model, and it appears from the literature posted the tires are 1 1/4 and the wheels are 700C. Doesn't make sense to me - one metric the other American. Guess I'll know more when I look at it this Sunday. My old Specialized Expedition had 700 X 35C; I liked that size for being able to ride off pavement sometimes. Would it work to get a wider tread on the Miyata?
I had one of these, same year, almost 20 years ago now. It’s definitely a 27” wheel. The stock tires were 27 x 1 1/8, I usually had 1 1/4” tires installed, which should be roughly equivalent to 32 mm. Not wide by modern standards but it seemed ok and I was able to ride most gravel roads just fine. Back then 27” tire availability still seemed ok. I haven’t wheels that size since then, but it sounds like there are still some options.