Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rain brake blocks

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rain brake blocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-23, 07:38 AM
edo_999
Edo

Bikes: Late 80s-early 90s Graham Weigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rain brake blocks

Hello,

I’m using brake calipers on alloy rims and I currently have some Shimano pads installed (BR-6403) on them, but since I noticed that they become totally ineffective on wet conditions I decided to swap them with something else.

Doing some research I found that Koolstop Dura 2 Dual compound or Swissstop should be pretty good. Any advice on what I should go for? Ideally I need something good for both wet and dry.

Thanks
Old 04-01-23, 08:14 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
You'll probably get some different opinions on pad compounds but I have used many pads and find I like the KoolStop "Salmon" compound best. They stop better in the wet than anything else and 95% of my riding is in the dry and also work as well as any others even KoolStop's black compound. Swissstop's always seemed to lose some of their stopping power when the rims got a certain amount of dirt buildup and I had to clean the rims and pads occasionally to keep them working well.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 04-01-23 at 04:42 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-01-23, 09:48 AM
OldBike876

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Koolstop Salmon always worked for me.
Likes For OldBike876:
Old 04-01-23, 09:53 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Another vote for KoolStop Salmons
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 04-01-23, 10:15 AM
edo_999
Edo

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks all for you replies.

is there any reason why the Koolstop salmon seem to be out of stock everywhere? Have they been discontinued by any chance?
Old 04-01-23, 11:28 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by edo_999
Thanks all for you replies.

is there any reason why the Koolstop salmon seem to be out of stock everywhere? Have they been discontinued by any chance?
Performance's website shows them in stock both as replacement pads and as complete holders with pads.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 04-01-23, 11:31 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Available at Amazon as well. I'd prefer the Salmon but I've also used the dual compound and couldn't tell any difference.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-01-23, 12:11 PM
edo_999
Edo

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider;[url=tel:22847177
22847177[/url]]Performance's website shows them in stock both as replacement pads and as complete holders with pads.
is that a US shop? I’m based in the UK, perhaps that’s why it’s a bit more difficult to find.
Old 04-01-23, 12:14 PM
edo_999
Edo

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Available at Amazon as well. I'd prefer the Salmon but I've also used the dual compound and couldn't tell any difference.
yeah the only option I have is to get a dual compound if I want to get the holders as well (I do need those). EBay or Amazon seem to only have the salmon inserts but not with holders.

But if you’re saying you haven’t noticed any difference I might go for those.
Likes For edo_999:
Old 04-01-23, 05:06 PM
Crankycrank

Not sure if you're aware but the KoolStop pads will fit in your Shimano holders. Exact fit replacements.

EDIT: I got that wrong. 6403's will need new pad holders for the KoolStops.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 04-01-23 at 06:45 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-01-23, 07:30 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
You've probably already tried them, but I've always had good performance from Shimano Ultegra and Dura Ace pads. I like the Koolstops too.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-01-23, 10:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I like both if it has Stop in the name it is a good sign. You will need new brake shoes and for that you want to find really good stiff shoes that have replaceable inserts which you can get from Kool or SwissStop. I also highly reccommend, good compressionless housing and nice polished uncoated stainless steel cables. That combination will greatly improve braking performance for very little money compared to replacing calipers and levers and such.

Specifically for wet weather the SwissStop BXP would be a good way to go in your case these: https://www.swissstop.com/brakepads/...lflashpro/bxp/
and for Kool Stop these: Kool Stop International - High Performance Bicycle Brake Pads Since 1977
Though getting a set of good stiff shoes and the Salmon compound is maybe a better option for pure wet weather road.

Kool Stop is neat because they make all the pads from modern stuff to total long out of production vintage stuff that is hard to find just as the full item let alone pads. SwissStop is certainly the more purely modern option but really great stuff. Also a useful note at least up to 2017 and probably still today the SRAM road rim pads are made by SwissStop so if for some reason those are tough to find SRAM is the same stuff and I used those for quite a while till I finally got SwissStop branded pads.

For cables and housing Jagwire is my go to and generall I try to go for this when possible: https://jagwire.com/products/diy-cab...link-brake-kit (the picture they show is over the older version of my bike and with red instead of blue links) but if I want a more traditional housing I go for this: https://jagwire.com/products/diy-cab...-pro-brake-kit
The kits generally have everything needed to make it work and usually I am left with a little leftover and plus they come in a bunch of colors to help match the bike or add a pop of color. If I am on a deep budget then the Sport kit is an acceptable option but I would rather upgrade because it will make a bigger improvement for less money.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-02-23, 08:08 AM
edo_999
Edo

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes;[url=tel:22847638
22847638[/url]]I like both if it has Stop in the name it is a good sign. You will need new brake shoes and for that you want to find really good stiff shoes that have replaceable inserts which you can get from Kool or SwissStop. I also highly reccommend, good compressionless housing and nice polished uncoated stainless steel cables. That combination will greatly improve braking performance for very little money compared to replacing calipers and levers and such.

Specifically for wet weather the SwissStop BXP would be a good way to go in your case these: https://www.swissstop.com/brakepads/...lflashpro/bxp/
and for Kool Stop these: Kool Stop International - High Performance Bicycle Brake Pads Since 1977
Though getting a set of good stiff shoes and the Salmon compound is maybe a better option for pure wet weather road.

Kool Stop is neat because they make all the pads from modern stuff to total long out of production vintage stuff that is hard to find just as the full item let alone pads. SwissStop is certainly the more purely modern option but really great stuff. Also a useful note at least up to 2017 and probably still today the SRAM road rim pads are made by SwissStop so if for some reason those are tough to find SRAM is the same stuff and I used those for quite a while till I finally got SwissStop branded pads.

For cables and housing Jagwire is my go to and generall I try to go for this when possible: https://jagwire.com/products/diy-cab...link-brake-kit (the picture they show is over the older version of my bike and with red instead of blue links) but if I want a more traditional housing I go for this: https://jagwire.com/products/diy-cab...-pro-brake-kit
The kits generally have everything needed to make it work and usually I am left with a little leftover and plus they come in a bunch of colors to help match the bike or add a pop of color. If I am on a deep budget then the Sport kit is an acceptable option but I would rather upgrade because it will make a bigger improvement for less money.
amazing! Thanks for the very detailed advice. Much appreciated!
Old 04-02-23, 12:12 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 440 Posts
Kool-Stop also makes the Cross Pad for cyclo-cross racers. It has THREE compounds. Can 4, 5, and 6-compound pads be far behind?

They're expensive, but I bought a set anyway, partly because the pads are narrow, and good for sew-up rims. Don't hold your breath for a rain-performance report, though.

I like the Shimano PTFE Road Brake Cable Set - they're pretty smooth and low-friction.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 04-02-23, 12:37 PM
Crankycrank

Originally Posted by veganbikes
+1. For their flexible housing there is none better than Jagwires Pro housing. They use a different construction than other mfrs which has less compression than any I have tried including Shimano's and gives a firmer and easier to modulate feel.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-02-23, 01:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by edo_999
amazing! Thanks for the very detailed advice. Much appreciated!
No worries, always happy to help. Down to a certain point the actual calipers matter a lot less but your pads and shoes and of course cables and housing make a world of difference. When you get some really flexible stuff and really cheap stuff then yes upgrade the caliper but that is usually found on wallymart type stuff.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-02-23, 02:56 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
You've probably already tried them, but I've always had good performance from Shimano Ultegra and Dura Ace pads. I like the Koolstops too.
Agreed. I use stock Dura Ace shoes with Aican compressionless housing; and while I have both salmon and black Koolstop replacement shoes, I haven’t really felt the need to swap them out (but I also don’t ride in the rain).
Likes For smd4: