Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Fix Is In

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Fix Is In

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-22, 07:37 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
The Fix Is In

Well, it has begun, anyway. Some of you here will recall I was involved in a bike/car collision last month in which the Davidson received some damage. Since I've been waiting on the insurance company, I've not made any purchases, but have been eying options, particularly when it comes to repairing/replacing the wheels.

Today, after a brief consultation with the adjuster for The Hartford, we agreed upon a base of $1500 and ceiling of $2000, assuming other bits are damaged and I won't know until I get a working wheel - and I still need to get to a reputable framebuilder to check the frame, and align if necessary.

Anyhoo, since I have nothing better to do until I fly up to Seattle to collect my other bikes on Sunday, I figured I'd chronicle this chapter of the Davidson with some words and photos. First, some pics of the damage:

Here's the rest, looking forlorn without her wheels. Compatible rims are on their way from Australia, then there's wheel-build calculations to be made in addition to build time. The Davidson's going to be off her wheels for a bit still:

Next, a couple pics from the auction for the replacement rims. Note I went tubular; the original Campy Omega set was clincher. Well, I had two sets of Mavic Open Pro clincher rims on my watch list, but they ended before I got word of the funds, and just missed them. Nothing currently out there, and I'm tired of waiting. I already have some tubular tires in the storage, so they'll come down and probably see use. The color? Well, this bike originally wore a pair of blue-anodized rims when it was first shown at the Davidson booth at the Seattle Bike Expo in 2002. Full circle, and it will be interesting to see how they feel under braking with that machined track:

I've cleaned up the scrapes (and am looking for replacement hardware locally) on the rear derailleur, but will need to re-cable at the least since a couple strands snapped at the anchor bolt. Which reminds me, I should make sure the top didn't crack at the pivot. Still not messing with the Ergopower lever until I put a wheel in the frame. One cracked alloy Campy toe clip and the damage to at least two layers of carbon/kevlar on the Flite Evolution saddle. I made it look pretty, but don't trust the crack that went along with the abrasion...

Nice to have the process slowly beginning. I'll update along the way, as much for my amusement as to provide a historical document (this is my first-ever insurance claim regarding a bike). Perhaps people might find it informative and entertaining as well.

More to come...

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 10-15-22 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-13-22, 07:51 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
I have one of those blue Reflex clinchers. I've been looking for the match to it.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 10-13-22, 08:03 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Sequence of shots showing the 'repair' to the saddle using epoxy resin:

The crack goes all the way through, and is about 1/4" long. I got resin into it, but not sure about the strength in the long run. The repair I did some months ago to the front rail support didn't involve cracked carbon layers next to my tush, so, yeah, I think I want to avoid that possibility, and plan on retiring this one once and for all.

Some lucky seller of one of these things on Ebay is about to get a pretty decent offer in a couple days...

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 10-13-22, 08:05 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by krakhaus

I have one of those blue Reflex clinchers. I've been looking for the match to it.
I was pretty excited when I found them, because I thought they were clinchers. But even so, no biggie; just means I'll have bikes with tubulars in both WA and AZ now

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 10-13-22, 08:25 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Somehow I missed the accident , I had no idea. First, I am wondering if you were injured and second are you healing ok ? I’m glad you’re getting moving on your bike and it sounds like the insurance company is cooperating and trying to work with you.
Old 10-13-22, 08:32 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Somehow I missed the accident , I had no idea. First, I am wondering if you were injured and second are you healing ok ? I’m glad you’re getting moving on your bike and it sounds like the insurance company is cooperating and trying to work with you.
Oh, it was a one/two line report in Where Did You Ride Today? and I didn't sustain any injuries to speak of, really. Guy had quick enough reflexes not to run me down after he bumped me off, but he did a number on the bike in hitting it, plus it took a good knock when it hit the deck, too.

But seriously, thanks for the concern - as soon as I can get on a bike again (three days and counting...), I'll be 100% again

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 10-13-22, 08:59 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
You were surprisingly lucky, DD. It could have turned out like my Guerciotti EL many moons ago.

You won't regret the machined tubulars either - best of all worlds for experience (perhaps not so in the tube maintenance and tire costs though).

-Kurt

Old 10-14-22, 01:15 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 655 Posts
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...541406261.html

tried to keep an eye out for you…..

these are in portland, like me.

headed through your town this weekend.
Old 10-14-22, 02:04 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Robvolz
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...541406261.html

tried to keep an eye out for you…..

these are in portland, like me.

headed through your town this weekend.
You know I've directly addressed you previously regarding that very CL ad. I am unsure why you are persisting with it...?

DD
Old 10-14-22, 02:48 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by cudak888

You were surprisingly lucky, DD. It could have turned out like my Guerciotti EL many moons ago.

You won't regret the machined tubulars either - best of all worlds for experience (perhaps not so in the tube maintenance and tire costs though).

-Kurt
To be fair, he hit me upon acceleration, and immediately stopped once he realized what was happening. If he'd have been doing the 45mph speed limit, another story. But he wasn't, so my guardian angel got to put in some work yet again. Can't imagine what the retainer for this summer is going to be...

Am I seeing the above pic correctly in that the bar is actually bent in, and the brifter seems to have received little damage?

As for the rims, they are exactly what I run on all my other bikes, but in tubular form. Well, my other tubular set on the Alpina is a true vintage 70s set of Super Champion Arc en Ciels (also anodized blue), and the brake track is more of a suggestion than anything else. If I can get high pressure tubulars on a wheel with a machined brake track, I may never ride another bike! In all seriousness, since my best two Mavic clincher options disappeared, this one popped up and I just thought, okay, eff it. I mean, it's settlement money meant to fix the bike, right?

Now I will get the chance to evaluate Reynolds 853 on tubulars, so another new chapter for the Davidson, too.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 10-14-22 at 03:15 AM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 10-14-22, 04:14 AM
Kabuki12

So, the frame is ok? From what I can see, it looks fine but it’s a picture. You would know and I’m sure you have double, maybe triple checked everything. A bike without wheels looks forlorn to me. I have a couple in my garage right now just hanging there, I have to make a trip to the co-op because it bugs me to see them. I have had bikes that are waiting for me to finish , sitting on my stand , waiting for wheels and it is a great motivator. It makes me want to get wheels on them.
Cudak888 that looks like it was a gnarly one, but good news is you’re still here to share. Bike accidents suck and most of us , fortunately, survive, but it is not a given. Every time I hear about a friend who has been hit or went down(not that often , really) I try to hide it from my wife. Every week when I leave for my ride, I can see it on her face…she worries. So, best option is to have her join me! We rode for 2-3 years without a car and never an incident . She went down once but a car was not involved.
Old 10-14-22, 06:41 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
To be fair, he hit me upon acceleration, and immediately stopped once he realized what was happening. If he'd have been doing the 45mph speed limit, another story. But he wasn't, so my guardian angel got to put in some work yet again. Can't imagine what the retainer for this summer is going to be...

Am I seeing the above pic correctly in that the bar is actually bent in, and the brifter seems to have received little damage?
You definitely used all of your nine lives favors there. Still, remarkable that it held up - stronger rims might have transferred the impact to the rear triangle.

The bar is bent in; the brifter went on to live another day. Impact was a 10-15mph hit from the side, hence the RD, crank, and handlebar all bent in, yet the brifter survived. I think the bar hit the right corner of the hood, giving the brifter a reprieve from the impact.

This was technically a head-on: I was easing up to the stop line at an offset 4-way intersection as the driver hugged the apex of his left turn and took me out. He lined up directly with the opposing lane of traffic. It would have been a dead straight impact with the front wheel, but I attempted to power out of it to the left (right wasn't an option - parked vehicles) when the crash was inevitable.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 10-14-22, 07:17 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
@Drillium Dude - Jeff, I too wasn't aware of your accident. As you may recal. I am very familiar with having one, or two, or more. Not a fun experience. Good to know it was not more that it was. In my case, I engaged a lawyer in Portland that specialized in bike accidents. PIP and Uninsured Motorist paid my way with 5 digits given to me. I had no insurance other than the car insurance so it worked out. The resulting physical damage has some left over even after 13 years.

Components can be replaced. Frame set is another level and physical above that.

As part of your nature, the results of the rebuild will be fantastic!
Old 10-14-22, 09:50 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident, DD, but glad you're OK. 👍

I've been hit twice, here in Sacramento, in about 6 months, fortunately by slow-moving cars both times. People do not like checking to see if the road's clear, especially turning right. There could be a 90 year old lady with little kids crossing, and these people would run them right over, and never look back. 🙄

Be safe, everyone.
Likes For stardognine:
Old 10-14-22, 01:29 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
a) sorry to hear about your negative interaction with a car

b) I think the blue rims will look super nice (course my design ethos my be flawed...my next frame involves kandy apply green and kandy apple magenta)

looking to seeing the new build and hope frame is straight, but good excuse to get it 100% aligned

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 10-15-22, 01:49 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
So, the frame is ok? From what I can see, it looks fine but it’s a picture. You would know and I’m sure you have double, maybe triple checked everything. A bike without wheels looks forlorn to me. I have a couple in my garage right now just hanging there, I have to make a trip to the co-op because it bugs me to see them. I have had bikes that are waiting for me to finish , sitting on my stand , waiting for wheels and it is a great motivator. It makes me want to get wheels on them.
Cudak888 that looks like it was a gnarly one, but good news is you’re still here to share. Bike accidents suck and most of us , fortunately, survive, but it is not a given. Every time I hear about a friend who has been hit or went down(not that often , really) I try to hide it from my wife. Every week when I leave for my ride, I can see it on her face…she worries. So, best option is to have her join me! We rode for 2-3 years without a car and never an incident . She went down once but a car was not involved.
We roll the dice a hundred different times a day - two hundred if we're active. Just the same, somehow, we seem to make it home most of the time

Good point about the frame. Can't tell a thing, huh?

The possibility of frame damage, however slight, is the main reason I suggested a $500 difference between the high and low. I knew the low would take care of the components, even if inflation plays with the prices some. No visible frame issues, so any tweaking, if necessary, should be minor and not affect either the paint or chrome. But to have it done right locally (originally it was going to be gugie but my travel plans changed), it'll have to go to Andy Gilmour in Tucson. So add in fuel, wear and tear on the car, at least an hour's labor to check alignment, maybe another one or two if there's detectable damage? Anyway, from my close scrutiny I can't see any cracking at the lugs, or awkward bulges in the usual locations on any of the frame tubes. But I can't eyeball a 100% straight frame, and having perused the frame/fork's original build sheet (presented to the adjuster for value-establishment purposes), I do want to have it professionally checked before I build it up and ride it again:

I'd forgotten just how much this frame and fork cost me! Of course, a lot of that cost was the blingy chrome, which I'd likely forego if I had it all to do over. But hey, the stuff still looks as good as the very first day, so I suppose it has to be deemed worth the expense

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 10-15-22 at 03:30 AM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 10-15-22, 05:29 AM
Kabuki12

^^ Worth it ! Twenty years later it still looks new , I can’t imagine how many miles of enjoyment that bike has brought you. The bike looks like it is fine and given the minimal damage will be rolling down the road once again….AND ….. it’s orange! If I can afford a bike and it’s something I really want, I buy it , ride it and don’t think about monetary return. I have unintentionally made some money on a couple , but the ones I’ve kept , I don’t worry about. I put things where I want them and stay within a budget that works for me. If my budget was larger , I would have more. One would be that “barn find” Masi or a locally advertised ‘60’s Cinelli in my size. Both of those would probably not be good investments but great bikes for me, but alas , I already have a stable of nice bikes. Pedal on , Joe. Great shot, by the way
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-12-22, 01:16 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

A quick update on this thread which I'd nearly forgotten about.

The rims finally arrived and I dropped them at my LBS on Monday. The build will be completed with DT spokes, laced 3x to the original Campy Chorus hubset. Tubular rim tape and a pair of vintage, NOS Gommitalia or Continental Giros are standing by for installation once the wheels are complete. After I install the cog set and get the wheels back in the frame, I'll know if I have alignment issues with the RD hanger. If not, hopefully a test ride to determine if the mechanicals are sound.

Rims are absolutely beautiful, and will look sweet with gumwalls:

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 11-13-22, 12:26 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
The crack goes all the way through, and is about 1/4" long. I got resin into it, but not sure about the strength in the long run. The repair I did some months ago to the front rail support didn't involve cracked carbon layers next to my tush, so, yeah, I think I want to avoid that possibility, and plan on retiring this one once and for all.

Some lucky seller of one of these things on Ebay is about to get a pretty decent offer in a couple days...

DD
Broken fibers = no strength

Consider carefully whether you should just trash it rather than selling a damaged saddle someone will sit on. If it isn't safe enough for you, how can you justify selling to someone else.
Old 11-13-22, 12:28 PM
Bad Lag

Is the frame okay (still straight)?

The gouges are cosmetic but bigly hurt resale value.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 11-13-22 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-13-22, 01:29 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Broken fibers = no strength

Consider carefully whether you should just trash it rather than selling a damaged saddle someone will sit on. If it isn't safe enough for you, how can you justify selling to someone else.
I believe you misinterpreted my post; I was saying a seller on Ebay would be getting an offer, as in I'd be replacing the damaged one. Never have I considered offering it for sale, and I'm not likely to use it myself, either - something I also pointed out.

Rails are fine. To summarize: the damage to the saddle was mostly cosmetic, but appears to have suffered a structural compromise significant enough that I'll neither use it nor flog it to someone else

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 11-13-22, 04:34 PM
Bad Lag

Oops, you are correct, I misunderstood you. I have spent too much time on English cycling web sites where products are "offered" (meaning for sale).
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 11-15-22, 05:50 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Got the call during today's shortish ride that my wheels were done. I rode home with one in the bag and the other held by a couple crooked fingers

Re-installed the titanium cog set, then ran a gear check in the stands - finally. All was good, so the damage to the brifter is merely cosmetic. I'll address that sometime this week, but first: taping the tubulars is on the agenda first thing on the morrow.

Still want to take it to Gilmour because there's something a tiny bit strange in the rear end. Might be just the new wheel needs a dish tweak, but it's off about 1/8th of an inch to the non-driveside, very obvious when viewing from the rear at the brake bridge. Before I tape these up, I want to have Brian eyeball it, too, and see if he can't get it a might bit closer. The wheel generally lines up with the stays, but the adjustment screw settings might be aiding that.

Anyhoo, here are a couple pics of the goods:

...and the overall effect:

The blue definitely makes quite a bold statement when contrasted with that bright orange. Vroooooom!

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 11-15-22, 07:27 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 3,510 Times in 1,397 Posts

Anyhoo, here are a couple pics of the goods:

...and the overall effect:

DD
GREAT color combo, and I'm not even a Broncos fan (out here in CO).
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 11-15-22, 07:43 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
GREAT color combo, and I'm not even a Broncos fan (out here in CO).
Thank you. Reminds me of the orange/blue of Gulf Racing's colors, in reverse, using a darker blue.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.