Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Fix Is In

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Fix Is In

Old 11-15-22, 08:25 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Those blue ano'd Reflex rims are certainly a (blue and) silver lining here - stunning effect.

This one was always a favourite of mine; shame to see some components taking scars from the pavement, glad to know it's all coming back together (albeit a little bit different) and that rider was unscathed.

I enjoy the documentation of your progress in remedying the situation piece by piece.

Taking the time to 'fix' the saddle even though it's being taken out of circulation due to concern for structural integrity exemplifies a certain spirit. The actual process looks a lot like repairing chipped canvas Micarta.
Likes For mikemowbz:
Old 11-15-22, 08:48 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
Jeff, first, I want to say I'm glad you weren't seriously injured. I haven't been on the forum much in recent weeks and didn't see the original note about the collision when it happened. Glad to hear the insurance is moving forward. Shame about the damage--that saddle has been through a lot, and I'm saddened to see your drillium masterpieces got scraped up--but happy to see the damage to the Davidson doesn't appear catastrophic. Hopefully it checks out okay after closer inspection. The wheels are stunning. Now you need a Wheaties jersey!
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 11-15-22, 09:22 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemowbz

Those blue ano'd Reflex rims are certainly a (blue and) silver lining here - stunning effect.

This one was always a favourite of mine; shame to see some components taking scars from the pavement, glad to know it's all coming back together (albeit a little bit different) and that rider was unscathed.

I enjoy the documentation of your progress in remedying the situation piece by piece.

Taking the time to 'fix' the saddle even though it's being taken out of circulation due to concern for structural integrity exemplifies a certain spirit. The actual process looks a lot like repairing chipped canvas Micarta.
Thanks, Mike!

You are exactly right, the looks and performance departments both got an upgrade as a result of this accident. Hopefully these Gommitalia tires give a decent ride. In any case, I've got two pair, which came with the Bianchi when I picked it up a couple/three years ago. Might as well use 'em before I pay for more modern stuff. Plus, they look good and are plenty supple.

I had to look up Micarta - that is some cool stuff! It appears it's a variable form of fiber/resin matrix. I liked the linen and paper finishes I found (knife handles) best. Thanks for the intro.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 11-15-22, 09:41 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by gaucho777
Jeff, first, I want to say I'm glad you weren't seriously injured. I haven't been on the forum much in recent weeks and didn't see the original note about the collision when it happened. Glad to hear the insurance is moving forward. Shame about the damage--that saddle has been through a lot, and I'm saddened to see your drillium masterpieces got scraped up--but happy to see the damage to the Davidson doesn't appear catastrophic. Hopefully it checks out okay after closer inspection. The wheels are stunning. Now you need a Wheaties jersey!
Thanks! Oh, yeah, I got pretty lucky. But the gouges to my ankle have fully healed, and that was the worst of my 'injuries'. Nothing lasting, and nothing developing over time, so that's good, too. Insurance so far has paid for parts, shipping, and labor - and still I haven't hit the 'spending cap'. Also, this evening I did a string test, utilizing fishing line, to try to be as accurate as possible. Both measurements at the seat tube were the same within a single millimeter. Pretty sure the spending is done, but the more I think about it, the more I'd like to get it on a jig to be sure.

The RD cleaned up well, and it's difficult to see it had hit the ground. The brifter will take a bit more effort, but knowing the internals survived intact means it will now be a labor of love.

Having gone away from sponsor stuff for the most part in recent years, I instead have both orange and blue solid jerseys which match the blue and orange of the bike almost perfectly

DD
Old 11-15-22, 09:45 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2412 Post(s)
Liked 4,373 Times in 2,086 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Hopefully these Gommitalia tires give a decent ride. In any case, I've got two pair, which came with the Bianchi when I picked it up a couple/three years ago. Might as well use 'em before I pay for more modern stuff. Plus, they look good and are plenty supple.
If they ride anything like the Targas I had on the '72 Paramount, they're the next best thing to actual sew-ups.

-Kurt

Old 11-15-22, 09:55 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by cudak888

If they ride anything like the Targas I had on the '72 Paramount, they're the next best thing to actual sew-ups.

-Kurt
Dunno if that's a condemnation or not, honestly, 'cuz I'm in my cups tonight

But, no matter. I also have a vintage pair of Continental Giros (seriously, the older ones, from the mid-90s, they've been marinating longer than those last couple frames you put up on the block...), and - get this - enough Jantex tubular tape to affix 6 more tires to rims. Why? Because I forgot each box has enough tape for two wheels. While I got what I believed was enough tape for two sets was actually enough for four.

Oh, well; better too many than two few, at least in this case.

Also watching some modern Veloflex and Tufos on Ebay, just in case the old stuff doesn't play well in modern day conditions.

DD
Old 11-15-22, 09:56 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Wow!

That pops, Jeff!

And they said red bikes are faster! Hah!

-Kurt

Old 11-15-22, 10:03 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Dunno if that's a condemnation or not, honestly, 'cuz I'm in my cups tonight

But, no matter. I also have a vintage pair of Continental Giros (seriously, the older ones, from the mid-90s, they've been marinating longer than those last couple frames you put up on the block...), and - get this - enough Jantex tubular tape to affix 6 more tires to rims. Why? Because I forgot each box has enough tape for two wheels. While I got what I believed was enough tape for two sets was actually enough for four.
Well, nothing can come close to a tubular - even a lumpy Giro - but in my experience, those boutique Gommitalias came about as close as a clincher could possibly get.

Darn it, I'm now regretting getting rid of the '72 Paramount again.

Also watching some modern Veloflex and Tufos on Ebay, just in case the old stuff doesn't play well in modern day conditions.
If I see a trail of dead Clements all over Arizona and Seattle, I'll know what you've been up to and that it didn't work

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-16-22, 07:51 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

You know, Kurt, if they perform at least as well as the open tubular clinchers I normally use, they will serve well. Hopefully they will wear well, too. And they look good = they look like top of the line from here when I consider the pics of the Paramounts.

I believe they'll feel a lot like the old Vittoria Futuras I used to run in London way back in the day. And if they do, I will rejoice

But first, have to address the slightly-off dish. So, no update today

Tomorrow I'm gonna walk the bike down to the LBS (it's only a mile away), tweak the dish, hopefully tape after we get it right, then ride home. Or wait until I'm home to tape them. I dunno yet. But tomorrow this gets straightened out, then I go for a true test ride.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 11-16-22, 07:59 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

cudak888 By the way, the G's on your P's look great, but I don't know what you mean by boutique. They appear to have Kevlar reinforcing, but otherwise look classic and well-made. Mine are similar, but the sidewalls are a bit too bright compared to the honey shade on yours. Anyway, you want boutique? All those colored tires which began in the 90s and are still made in more limited numbers today.

Just for the fun of it (and it's nice to have spares), I picked up a pair of these, shipped, for less than 70USD:

Rated at 145psi, so yeah! Gonna put them on the Medici when I wear out the pair that's currently keeping me on the road. Don't have a clue as to performance, as I've not tried Vredestein, but I'll give it a go for under 40 bux a tire. Hopefully they won't break my wrists when it comes time to mount them.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 11-16-22, 08:10 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

You know, Kurt, if they perform at least as well as the open tubular clinchers I normally use, they will serve well. Hopefully they will wear well, too. And they look good = they look like top of the line from here when I consider the pics of the Paramounts.
Beware, the '70 in the background is wearing IRC Roadwinner II's - the polar opposite of the Gommies.

If these are anything like the Targas I had though, they'll wear quick. Very finely made tire with a high thread count, but fragile. Beautiful tire, beautiful ride, doesn't last long. Something of the three had to give, as usual.

cudak888 By the way, the G's on your P's look great, but I don't know what you mean by boutique.
The things retailed for nearly $90 apiece and came in a stamped steel tin container each. That's when a company is playing it boutique in my eyes!

-Kurt

Old 11-16-22, 08:56 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts

Darn it, I'm now regretting getting rid of the '72 Paramount again.

-Kurt
Well duh.
Old 11-16-22, 09:04 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by merziac
Well duh.
Fork chrome was a tad rough due to someone having cleaned it improperly in the past, post-dated pinstriping, and about 1cm a bit larger than I like 'em.

I don't regret passing it on to someone else. I wouldn't mind getting involved in another one if it ticked all the boxes on the wish list.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-16-22, 09:12 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Fork chrome was a tad rough due to someone having cleaned it improperly in the past, post-dated pinstriping, and about 1cm a bit larger than I like 'em.

I don't regret passing it on to someone else. I wouldn't mind getting involved in another one if it ticked all the boxes on the wish list.

-Kurt
Oh I get it, I have almost the same situation.

The only chrome one I have is a size small frame only, has a couple of little dings and some lackluster chrome as well.

It would make a fine rider/placeholder but I found some better non chrome candidates along the way so it has and continues to languish.
Likes For merziac: