Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Kickr - noise issue

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-23, 08:16 AM
tunstallhill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

I have a Wahoo Kickr that i have bought second hand and its making a very loud kind of 'jet engine' whirling noise when i use it, getting worse when i increase power and cadence

does anyone have an idea what it might be? i've tried taking off the belt and putting it back on and tensioning it properly but i had no effect.

i've also tried to contact Wahoo directly with no response. I've shown the recording to a few people who have similar turbos and i'm assured that its definately not supposed to sound like that

any help is much appreciated. thanks

Old 04-12-23, 12:20 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Do you know what year it is? There were some years with a noise problem. I think people have come up with fixes.
Old 04-12-23, 03:33 AM
tunstallhill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Do you know what year it is? There were some years with a noise problem. I think people have come up with fixes.
its 2017 i'm pretty sure
Old 04-12-23, 03:16 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

The internet tells me that's probably a bad bearing. If you are a little handy, you can replace them without too much work.
Old 04-12-23, 03:36 PM
tunstallhill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The internet tells me that's probably a bad bearing. If you are a little handy, you can replace them without too much work.
Yeah I'll be able to do it , can't seem to find a video guide online though

I've ordered a new belt on the advice of the Wahoo service guy .. but personally I don't think that is the problem.

I'll try it first then order a new bearing

I've looked all over online and can't find any other mention of the noise that I'm experiencing
Old 04-12-23, 09:01 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

There are lots of reports of them squealing, but yours is definitely the worst I have seen. Apparently you can diagnose belt issues by putting water on the belt
To identify the cause of the noise, spray the rib side of the belt with water. If the noise diminishes or goes away, then returns once the belt dries, the belt noise is a chirp, indicative of a misalignment issue.
The 2018 models (I think) had an undersized 5mm key that could cause belt misalignment problems. But maybe you got one that has the same problem.
Old 04-13-23, 07:36 AM
tunstallhill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are lots of reports of them squealing, but yours is definitely the worst I have seen. Apparently you can diagnose belt issues by putting water on the belt

The 2018 models (I think) had an undersized 5mm key that could cause belt misalignment problems. But maybe you got one that has the same problem.
just took delivery of my new belt this morning and fitted it, it appears to have made it worse if anything. new video below with the new belt on.. (i've left the cover off to see if theres anything stands out that might be wrong). it sounds like the noise is coming from the tension roller area, but its difficult to pin point

Old 04-13-23, 01:28 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
that is an interesting sound. have you tried lubing the bearing? mine was making a bit of noise and adding lube quieted it up. been running fine since then. no, it did not sound exactly like yours thojugh,
Old 04-13-23, 02:01 PM
tunstallhill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
that is an interesting sound. have you tried lubing the bearing? mine was making a bit of noise and adding lube quieted it up. been running fine since then. no, it did not sound exactly like yours thojugh,
I can't find a guide online to remove the bearing . It's actually a 2016 Kickr Gen2 (not 2017)

I'm apprehensive about opening it up without some sort of guidance. There is a cap on the outside of the fly wheel I can't seem to get it off but I'm guessing that is where the thru axel is it get the bearing out

The guys at Wahoo said they are having another look at it

Ive got a feeling they are going to say that it's supposed to sound like that , it's 7 years old after all
Old 04-13-23, 03:07 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
mine is a newer model. i looked for a better pic but this is the best i could find on my phone. the tensioning bearing is what needed lube for me. i just shot it with silicone lube until it was quiet. easy for me to say but make sure the tension force on the belt is not too much. don't know how wahoo determines this.

. needed to do it twice.
Old 04-13-23, 03:12 PM
tunstallhill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
mine is a newer model. i looked for a better pic but this is the best i could find on my phone. the tensioning bearing is what needed lube for me. i just shot it with silicone lube until it was quiet. easy for me to say but make sure the tension force on the belt is not too much. don't know how wahoo determines this.

. needed to do it twice.
Spot on thanks for that I'll try it. I'm not sure how exactly to determine the tension but one video I watched said you should only be able to twist the belt to 45degree.. if you can twist it sideways 90degree then it's too slack

I notice on tours that the tensioner seems very far away from the bottom/main gear. It's very close on mine
Old 10-29-23, 07:29 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
I have a KickR Snap, wheel-on type, with a similar problem. Out of warranty, I am sure, but Wahoo sent me a new drive unit. Not the whole trainer, just the fly wheel/controller assembly. Easy instructions to swap and they told me to just toss the old one.

Hopefully, they'll do that for you too.
Old 10-30-23, 03:55 PM
hayden52

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts
This was a known problem with the early Kickrs. I had mine replaced with a new one after contacting Wahoo. I believe it is a bad bearing; when I had mine I took it apart and re-lubed the bearing, and it made it better, but it still squealed. Taking the unit apart is not so difficult; the problem may be finding a new bearing. You may be able to order one from Wahoo.