Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your favorite brand of cycling shorts?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your favorite brand of cycling shorts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-23, 12:14 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Pearl Izumi bibs have always done the job for me, so I have not experimented much. I confess I do not like the switch to "laser cut" strap edges (not an issue in actually wearing them but they are annoying to deal with when putting them on), but what'cha gonna do?

I also have a pair of Ibex wool bibs that I use almost exclusively for special events (Eroica and the like). They have a modern pad (not a chamois) and work just fine as well, but since Ibex is out of the cycling clothing business and I can't get more I limit my use of them and almost always reach for the Pearl Izumis.
Exactly matches my preferences for Pearl Izumi especially the older style, including the comments about the newer “laser cut” edges. And I, too, have a pair of wool Ibex shorts that are great for chilly weather.

I tried some less expensive Assos purchased from a used gear shop in Bend, OR, where I’d previously found several of my favorite P-I bib shorts and other great cycling garments inexpensively. No comfort magic with the Assos. In fact, they felt too much like a “full diaper” to keep, so I donated them back (thoroughly washed!)

Last edited by Dfrost; 06-08-23 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-08-23, 01:59 PM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 159 Posts
So many bibshorts in and out of my life. Some will stay and some will just be now and then.

I bit the price bullet and bought Assos (T7 Equipe I think) more than five years ago. They have outlasted all other brands I have tried since and still battle on with a few minor repairs.

For winter/thermal bibshorts I have had two pairs of Danish 12.16 which are rebranded Bioracer and have been excellent, very warm and comfortable all day.
Old 06-08-23, 02:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by MooneyBloke
Also, sniff test? Ewww! Seriosly ewww!
I take it you've never had kids?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-08-23, 09:13 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
+1 on Aerotech - I like the Elite model
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 06-09-23, 12:59 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by MooneyBloke
It might have to do with the effectiveness of modern detergents and that decent shorts are costing over $200 these days.
I made the buy/sell comment, forgetting the fact that humor rarely works in an internet post. So I assuming that you’re kidding when you say that a decent pair of shorts costs over 200 dollars.
Old 06-09-23, 01:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Shorts, rather than bibs?

Currently, Certipolar, one of many no-name Chinese brand shorts from one of countless anonymous factories. These have been really good for just over two years of frequent wear. Good, comfy pad. Very handy mesh side pockets: I keep pepper spray in the left, my wallet and keys in the right. Great value at under $30.

My former favorite was Przewalski. Bought two pair, in 2018 and 2019. Great shorts, best pad I've ever ridden. They used to use top quality DuPont ProTech pads. I wear these mostly for indoor trainer sessions. The thicker pad is great for long sessions when I tend to sit more upright while watching movies. I did a 4 hour session last night.
Alas, that specific model is no longer available. The current listing on the same page is now listed as "qualdyne" and recent customers complain it no longer has the same quality pad.

In bibs, mine range from Black Bibs (good quality, very good value) to Przewalski (very good, outstanding value) and the unfortunately named Spotti (also very good, and outstanding value, but no longer available). The Przewalski and Spotti had excellent comfy pads. The Black Bibs pad is good but I preferred a bit thicker pad after I lost weight and had no fat on my butt for cushioning.

I used to be a merino wool purist and still have some. But the current crop of top quality synthetic wicking fabric is just as good, and much easier to wash and dry.
Old 06-09-23, 02:45 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
I'm partial to Pearli bibs.
I also like Voler. I find Castelli to run small making purchasing online always a toss of the dice so I stay away.
Old 06-09-23, 06:51 AM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
I made the buy/sell comment, forgetting the fact that humor rarely works in an internet post. So I assuming that you’re kidding when you say that a decent pair of shorts costs over 200 dollars.
Look up the prices of current top Assos bibs. You're in for some sticker shock. I'm of the opinion that once you're much over the cost of a good sew-up, you're in silly money category unless they're bought by a sponsor. I will confess that I've found some Castellis at $100-ish, but I don't know their current models as far as fit and comfort. I have a few from the early 2000s that I got from a place that sold team misprints, and they were good solid bibs, but things are very different now.
Likes For MooneyBloke:
Old 06-09-23, 07:19 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
+1 on Aerotech - I like the Elite model
I have what I think they call the Classic (tall). They offer it in navy blue, so I was there. It is a relatively light-duty padded short that I use for rides 40M and under. Today, I bought the Gel Touring (tall), and even though the only "color-accent" ones they offered were in a medium inseam, they said they would go ahead and tool up the machine to build me a special (yellow-accent) pair. They will make accommodations like this for anyone, and standard sizes go up to 4X. Oh, did I mention made in the U.S.A., and that they did not charge me extra for the custom order?
Old 06-10-23, 07:50 AM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts

I purchased the Aerotech Designs Elite a couple weeks ago.
Here's a photo to show people what the chamois looks like.
Likes For leftthread: