Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Will a Sunlite Threadless Bottom Bracket Work for a Raleigh Cotterless Conversion?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Will a Sunlite Threadless Bottom Bracket Work for a Raleigh Cotterless Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-23, 10:48 AM
Nokton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 23 Posts

Among the (way too) many bike projects I have underway is a conversion of a Raleigh Grand Prix to pseudo-Clubman. I'm also changing a lot of the parts out for aluminium, including the entire drive train.

I said to myself "Self, get yourself a Velo Orange English threaded bottom bracket" and thought that would do the trick, but I spaced off the proprietary Raleigh threading. Oops! Back to the drawing board.

I know there are numerous ways to convert a Raleigh from cottered to cotterless and I'd gladly use one of those if I thought it would be a straightforward process. Unfortunately, the most commonly recommended ways of doing this don't seem like they'll work right now. An example of this is that Phil Wood is sold out of all of the "even close to the right length" spindles in their sealed bottom bracket. Velo Orange doesn't seem to sell their threadless bottom bracket anymore. I've pretty much hit dead ends in most of approaches I thought about trying.

In looking around for a solution to my problem, I came across the Sunlite Repair Threadless bottom bracket (https://www.modernbike.com/sunlite-t...tripped-frames) and this looks like it would work for what I have in mind. Has anyone used one of these to convert from a cottered to cotterless crank?

FYI, the drive train I'm planning is a Sturmey-Archer S-RF3 hub and a Handsome Cycles 42 tooth single-speed crankset. I'm also getting a Sturmey-Archer front hub and a buddy who owns a bike shop said he'd be happy to lace the hubs to some Sun M13-II rims that I have. I'm also planning on white fenders, a Brooks B17, using the stock Weinmann brakes with new levers and the original bars and stem. The last change I'm planning is an aluminium seat post.

I'm sincerely hoping that this is the worst of the parts-finding problems that I encounter with this project.

Here's my starting point:

Old 06-08-23, 11:32 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
What I did was get a set of aluminium Italian bb cups, turned the 36x1 off and cut 26tpi threads on them.

But you have to have a lathe (or a friend with a lathe).
Likes For oneclick:
Old 06-09-23, 06:28 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
What I did was get a set of aluminium Italian bb cups, turned the 36x1 off and cut 26tpi threads on them.

But you have to have a lathe (or a friend with a lathe).
How did you cut the threads? Did you have a suitable die, or was it done on the lathe? And were the cups solid aluminum, or did they have a steel race pressed into them?
Likes For arex:
Old 06-09-23, 06:35 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Ohh, that would be such a pain to do on the lathe!! Difficult fixturing. And no second chance if you mess it up and cut too deep or the work shifts in the chuck!

I would rather save the time and buy Phil Wood rings. You don't want to spend the money on a whole Phil Wood cartridge, so you just get the rings and use a Shimano UN300. It will work. They are the same diameter.

I have used the Sunlite threadless (came with a frame with stripped threads). It kept loosening up on me. I eventually welded and retapped.

Other things you can do include using the existing cup and cone system but putting a square taper cup and cone spindle in. They normally work with the Raleigh cups. Sheldon Brown has a thing about this on his site.
Old 06-10-23, 08:01 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Other things you can do include using the existing cup and cone system but putting a square taper cup and cone spindle in. They normally work with the Raleigh cups. Sheldon Brown has a thing about this on his site.
I did this on a Raleigh Sports, worked out very well. Used the Raleigh cups, a 73mm Shimano JIS square-taper spindle, and 6mm grade 25 ball bearings. Went together perfectly, no fiddling involved.
Likes For arex:
Old 06-10-23, 09:25 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by arex
How did you cut the threads? Did you have a suitable die, or was it done on the lathe? And were the cups solid aluminum, or did they have a steel race pressed into them?
Lathe, and they were aluminium cartridge-unit cups:

Likes For oneclick:
Old 06-10-23, 09:27 AM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 49 Posts
I've also had a Sunlite repair cartridge loosen up on me in a Raleigh bb shell. I drenched the threads in blue loctite and tightened it as hard as I could, and that seemed to fix the problem... haven't seen the bike in a few years though, can't guarantee it didn't loosen up again. Another unprofessional repair I've seen work on a Raleigh is to face the bottom bracket shell to 68mm and run a normal bb tap through it, then install a cartridge bottom bracket. It tightened up nicely with no sign of threads pulling out.
Likes For eeuuugh:
Old 06-10-23, 10:17 AM
Nokton

I did this on a Raleigh Sports, worked out very well. Used the Raleigh cups, a 73mm Shimano JIS square-taper spindle, and 6mm grade 25 ball bearings. Went together perfectly, no fiddling involved.
Ohh, that would be such a pain to do on the lathe!! Difficult fixturing. And no second chance if you mess it up and cut too deep or the work shifts in the chuck!

I would rather save the time and buy Phil Wood rings. You don't want to spend the money on a whole Phil Wood cartridge, so you just get the rings and use a Shimano UN300. It will work. They are the same diameter.

I have used the Sunlite threadless (came with a frame with stripped threads). It kept loosening up on me. I eventually welded and retapped.

Thanks! I would be happy to use a Phil Wood bottom bracket, but they're sold out of all of the spindle lengths that are even close to the 118mm that I need for my crankset. The Phil cups and UN300s are both available, though, and I think I'll give it a shot with these.
Old 06-10-23, 10:18 AM
Nokton

I would love to try this approach, but I've had zero luck finding an appropriate spindle.
Old 06-10-23, 10:34 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Nokton
I would love to try this approach, but I've had zero luck finding an appropriate spindle.
Depending on your setup, this one appears to be asymmetrical and reasonably close in overall length (122mm). It might work if (a) either side gives you an acceptable chainline, and (b) you could live with 4mm additional Q.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325490268204

Photo of spindle alongside metric ruler is included in listing.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 06-10-23, 10:48 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by eeuuugh
...drenched the threads in blue loctite and tightened it as hard as I could, and that seemed to fix the problem...
I did the same thing with an old UO8 Peu. It held for over a year then loosened when riding in +105°F Texas heat. At repair I cleaned it up, reinstalled with Loctite Blue and then drilled a small hole into the edge of the bottom bracket to run a small retaining screw in it. It has held for over 8 years now.

Sunlite Thread-less Bottom Bracket. Sorry no pics, its not in the stable right now.

My old 70's UO8 rescue was a real education for me. I have no problems considering the use of another Sunlite Thread-less bottom bracket again. Installing that little holding screw was not a problem. Now getting the old cups off? Well that's another knuckle busting story... Ha

Last edited by zandoval; 06-10-23 at 10:54 AM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 06-10-23, 10:51 AM
Nokton

Originally Posted by Hondo6
Depending on your setup, this one appears to be asymmetrical and reasonably close in overall length (122mm). It might work if (a) either side gives you an acceptable chainline, and (b) you could live with 4mm additional Q.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325490268204

Photo of spindle alongside metric ruler is included in listing.
Thanks very much! Well worth giving a try. Just ordered.

Thanks again!
Old 06-10-23, 12:49 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Nokton
Thanks very much! Well worth giving a try. Just ordered.

Thanks again!
You're welcome. Hope it works for you.
Likes For Hondo6: