Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why is there more love for Italian Steel bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Why is there more love for Italian Steel bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 06:22 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Enzo is dead. He knows nothing of today. To say Ferrari is not Enzo is the height of ignorance.
And it's too bad you seem to know little about the history of Ferrari, considering you participate in a C&V forum. In Enzo's day, Le Mans was The race, I don't care about today. You should read a biography of his, it will be very interesting.
308 still sucks. The 512, while even uglier, at least wasn't a dog. Neither were nowhere near the 930 turbo.
What does that mean, "to say Ferrari is not Enzo is the hight of ignorance"? Not sure what you are trying to say there.

Getting back to Le Mans, this all started with a discussion of modern day racing, since Porsche doesn't have the guts to even attempt F1. To get around that fact, you went back 50 years to start talking Le Mans, and continue to claim that Ferrari thought it was more important than F1. A claim which I see no evidence for. Sure, it was a big race in the day, but F1 was a bigger series. And, getting back to modern times, I can tell you that in current day Italy F1 thoroughly eclipses Le Mans by a scale of about 100 to 1.

Lastly, your taste in cars is growing more suspect with every comment you make. I'm going to start posting pictures soon...

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
So I say “Not Bunk.”
Italians and Campagnolo created their “brand” before anyone was tossing the term around.
Then the market changed and that “brand” meant zilch to a whole generation of riders.
They will always have an appeal based on their character and history.
Doesn’t mean they are or were better bikes. Just that they carry a certain intangible. That’s all.
I was referring to the claims about sports motorcycles being bunk. For decades now there have been those talking about 600cc Japanese sportsbikes having better 'numbers' than the Ducati equivalent (specifically the 748 or 749 back in the day), despite costing so much less. Heck, I even drank the kool-aid myself at one point and got a Honda CBR600 when my Aprilia was stolen (long story). Suffice to say, within a year I realized that the 'numbers' didn't tell the whole story. Not even close. As fast as the Honda was, it was equally uninspiring and poorly conceived (routine maintenance was an afterthought for the designers).

So yes, you can compare the bikes you have and say they are similar in performance, weight... whatever, but sometimes that just doesn't tell the whole story. That's what this thread is about, no?
Old 07-29-20, 06:24 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
What's not to love?
Likes For mackgoo:
Old 07-29-20, 06:32 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
I forgot who mentioned it, but Italians do make the best saddles. Yum.

Brooks saddles are for *holds nose* touring bikes
Likes For sheddle:
Old 07-29-20, 06:37 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 1,896 Times in 930 Posts
Originally Posted by mackgoo
What's not to love?
The chain on the small ring.
Old 07-29-20, 06:52 PM
sheddle

I'd post more pics of my Professional but it is sadly out of commission temporarily after I decided that a great tire choice for a bike that's going to be ridden on broken glass filled city streets frequently was the Vittoria Corsa.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 07-29-20, 06:59 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
What's not to love?
You asked, so here goes: poor indexing, heavy and mediocre brakes, hard to find Allen key size for brake cable anchor. left hand threaded crank extractor, brittle crankarm self extractor bolts, dedicated dust cap remover, rims that are susceptible to cracking. And isn't that the year of the crack prone paint?
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-29-20, 07:11 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Wait a minute! Isn't that an Atlanta built German branded car in the garage? Something is not right here... Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 07-29-20, 07:20 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle

Old 07-29-20, 07:36 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
What's not to love?
Green
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 07-29-20, 07:44 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
I was referring to the claims about sports motorcycles being bunk. For decades now there have been those talking about 600cc Japanese sportsbikes having better 'numbers' than the Ducati equivalent (specifically the 748 or 749 back in the day), despite costing so much less. Heck, I even drank the kool-aid myself at one point and got a Honda CBR600 when my Aprilia was stolen (long story). Suffice to say, within a year I realized that the 'numbers' didn't tell the whole story. Not even close. As fast as the Honda was, it was equally uninspiring and poorly conceived (routine maintenance was an afterthought for the designers).

So yes, you can compare the bikes you have and say they are similar in performance, weight... whatever, but sometimes that just doesn't tell the whole story. That's what this thread is about, no?
Oh. The only Italian motorcycle I’d ever seen was a Harley, until some poor broke Duke student talked me into giving him an Ironman frame, then rolled up on a Ducati...(we still bonded over our dislike for Tarheel Nation)

I had plenty of Japanese bikes before there were ‘sport bikes.” And a Low Rider and now a Sportster. So I don’t know Jack about sport bikes.
Old 07-29-20, 08:45 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
You asked, so here goes: poor indexing, heavy and mediocre brakes, hard to find Allen key size for brake cable anchor. left hand threaded crank extractor, brittle crankarm self extractor bolts, dedicated dust cap remover, rims that are susceptible to cracking. And isn't that the year of the crack prone paint?
Spoken like a man that's experience is from what he's read.
Syncro II is dialed in click, click, click and add three more.
I use one finger with the deltas and I've never had a need for any more brake.
The rims are close to 40 years old.
I know righty tighty, lefty loosey is a challenge so to go against that would cause someones head to explode.
Cranks, 40 years old.
What do you have against patina?
It is what it is. I do feel for you though.
Likes For mackgoo:
Old 07-29-20, 08:52 PM
mackgoo

Funny you should say that. I have a Swallow on my Mega Tube.

Something about Italian Titanium too.
Likes For mackgoo:
Old 07-29-20, 08:55 PM
sheddle

It's perhaps not completely period appropriate but I put a Concor Light on the Vega.

This is Italian, right? I mean, it's called a Competizione!
​​
Old 07-29-20, 09:15 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I'd post more pics of my Professional but it is sadly out of commission temporarily after I decided that a great tire choice for a bike that's going to be ridden on broken glass filled city streets frequently was the Vittoria Corsa.
...and it's older brother, the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo (CX). But hey, I am a seeming fool and run both those as well on city streets. Minimal flats, thankfully. The ride is great, though, isn't?!?
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 07-29-20, 09:29 PM
sheddle

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
...and it's older brother, the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo (CX). But hey, I am a seeming fool and run both those as well on city streets. Minimal flats, thankfully. The ride is great, though, isn't?!?
Corners like a fighter jet, man
​​​​.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 07-30-20, 03:41 AM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Absolutely. Horribly dated 80s dreck. Completely lacks any elegance. It's like a Flock of Seagulls haircut.
Is the 308 so 80s?
Hombre, the Lancia Delta and his companions were the 80s. Stand next to the 308 with a Lotus Esprit and you’ll see what the ’80s were like.
Flock of Seagulls...
The ’70s were the age of tilt lamps. After the Pantera, it was impossible to come out again with a 246GT. It was in this environment that he had to create something evergreen, Pininfarina succeeded. (Look at the grids above the wheels, he also felt he had to do something.)

Elegance? For me, a sports car should be sexy and run in a standing position too, for elegance there was the Jaguar XJ6. If you’re going to a banquet, you’ll choose Audrey Hepbourn, but in bed, a ’68 Lollobrigida or Raquel Welch seems more of a better option. Anyway, it’s hard to be elegant with red painting, look for a rare metallic brown 308, a new world opens up in front of you. Even the sculpturally beautiful 250 Lusso does not show its beautiful lines in red only in pearl white/gray or black.

Last edited by Old Fireleg; 07-30-20 at 04:26 AM.
Likes For Old Fireleg:
Old 07-30-20, 05:57 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Wait a minute! Isn't that an Atlanta built German branded car in the garage? Something is not right here... Smiles, MH
If you mean headquartered now in Atlanta, yes, but Porsche Boxster and Boxster S models were built in Finland under contract by Valmet Automotive, with additional production at the former Karmann factory in Osnabruk. They are quite capable mid-engined sports cars and have nicely evolved over the past 23 years since introduction.
Old 07-30-20, 09:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by kunsunoke
Who taught those other builders to build those bikes that you think are exactly the same? Build quality used to be much poorer in the USA - but then Faliero Masi taught an entire generation of American builders how to do the job properly. Those people then taught others. Sadly, those that learned how to do it were replaced by PRC-based laborers who don't care about what they build - or about the safety of those who ride their products.

Non-Italian builders aren't the same as Italian builders on the high-end. Geometry is different, for one thing. Ride quality differs substantially. I've owned Brit and French bikes that didn't handle as well or ride as well as the Italian bikes I still own. The Ideor I have in the basement (older than I am) out-rode and out-handled the Carlton and PX-10 I used to have. It's one of the main reasons I got rid of the other bikes and kept the Ideor. To each his own.
Many of the first generation of US builders were over in England learning from established builders. To claim Masi basically taught all US builders is quite the revision.

As for your comments on ride quality- the geometry you prefer may not be the geometry someone else prefers. So while you prefer Italian geometry(I hesitate to even acknowledge that as a style since there is so much variety in reality), thst doesnt make Italian bikes better.

A bike with tange tubing can ride the same as a bike with columbus tubing when the geometry and tubing specs are the same. claiming you can tell a difference goes against what actual builders, industry reps, and tubing companies say.

Its cool that you like 'italian geometry' though.
Old 07-30-20, 09:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Brooks is Italian now.
Old 07-30-20, 09:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Funny you should say that. I have a Swallow on my Mega Tube.

Something about Italian Titanium too.
Pfft, ugly cuz the tube valves are angled. You may as well toss the bike in the garbage can.

...joking...about tossing it, not about the valves.
Old 07-31-20, 03:41 AM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Many of the first generation of US builders were over in England learning from established builders. To claim Masi basically taught all US builders is quite the revision.
I never said Faliero Masi taught all US builders, because such was not the case. My point was that road bikes up until that point were quite different, with slack geometry - and sometimes non-attention to details, or joinery. American builders tended to focus on track bikes, and they had more business than they could handle. The Italian influences were eventually adopted as standards - and Italian parts were specified on the high-end offerings.

As for your comments on ride quality- the geometry you prefer may not be the geometry someone else prefers.
Yes. To each, his own. Some people do race. And some other people appreciate what Italian geometry and ride quality offers. There are a lot of those people in the world, not just in Italy.

So while you prefer Italian geometry(I hesitate to even acknowledge that as a style since there is so much variety in reality), thst doesnt make Italian bikes better.
Recall that the question was about why Italian bikes get more love. Love is subjective. If you like Brit bikes better, good for you.

A bike with tange tubing can ride the same as a bike with columbus tubing when the geometry and tubing specs are the same. claiming you can tell a difference goes against what actual builders, industry reps, and tubing companies say.
The key word there was "when". Geometry and tubing specifications are usually different. The closest the Japanese ever got to Columbus SL was Ishiwata 022, and the Columbus SL remains slightly firmer and also stronger. Tange promoted Prestige as the best CrMo in the world - and it was good stuff - but the heat treatment and the metallurgy make it stiffer, stronger and firmer at similar geometries - often resulting in a harsher ride. Bruce Gordon website link on tubing

Some people like a harsh ride, as evidenced by the success of Cannondale and Trek's bonded aluminum bikes back in the day.

Its cool that you like 'italian geometry' though.
Thank you.
Likes For kunsunoke:
Old 07-31-20, 07:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by kunsunoke
I never said Faliero Masi taught all US builders, because such was not the case. My point was that road bikes up until that point were quite different, with slack geometry - and sometimes non-attention to details, or joinery. American builders tended to focus on track bikes, and they had more business than they could handle. The Italian influences were eventually adopted as standards - and Italian parts were specified on the high-end offerings.

Yes. To each, his own. Some people do race. And some other people appreciate what Italian geometry and ride quality offers. There are a lot of those people in the world, not just in Italy.

Recall that the question was about why Italian bikes get more love. Love is subjective. If you like Brit bikes better, good for you.

The key word there was "when". Geometry and tubing specifications are usually different. The closest the Japanese ever got to Columbus SL was Ishiwata 022, and the Columbus SL remains slightly firmer and also stronger. Tange promoted Prestige as the best CrMo in the world - and it was good stuff - but the heat treatment and the metallurgy make it stiffer, stronger and firmer at similar geometries - often resulting in a harsher ride. Bruce Gordon website link on tubing

Some people like a harsh ride, as evidenced by the success of Cannondale and Trek's bonded aluminum bikes back in the day.

Thank you.
There is no 'Italian geometry'. It varied from brand to brand and model to.model. Even within a.model, it varied by size.
Look at the link earlier in the thread that.compares some Italian and Japanese race bikes from '84 or whenever- the Italian bikes have varying geometry.
This completely negates your argument about geometry.
HTA, STA, bb drop, chainstay length, fork rake etc- all varied in Italian race bikes.

As for the Bruce Gordon link, two tubes of equal buttong will feel and perform the same. Columbus tubing, which i have on multiple bikes in both old and new forms, is not magical and performs the same as any other tubing with the same butting.

Italian brands brands appeal to them because bikes from Italy have been romanticized. Winners used to ride Italian brands and many of the brands were relatively small. Those two things create a romanticized view. Small batch building and winning = demand and a desire to be a fanboy.
Old 07-31-20, 10:06 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Writing this might be the biggest jinx of all time, but here goes: I've been riding and commuting on Vittoria Corsa G's in NYC for over a year now, and have only gotten one flat from a small strand of steel cable. I was expecting much worse, but figured it would be worth it to enjoy the ride quality (and I could always hop on the subway and fix flats at home if I needed to). I've been really surprised at their toughness. And let's not forget that the tanwalls also look amazing.

Originally Posted by mech986
If you mean headquartered now in Atlanta, yes, but Porsche Boxster and Boxster S models were built in Finland under contract by Valmet Automotive, with additional production at the former Karmann factory in Osnabruk. They are quite capable mid-engined sports cars and have nicely evolved over the past 23 years since introduction.
It is true that doing any sort of work on the engine is essentially impossible? I remember hearing that you could barely even see it, but those were the early models...

Winners used to ride Italian brands and many of the brands were relatively small. Those two things create a romanticized view. Small batch building and winning = demand and a desire to be a fanboy.
People have always been drawn to winning equipment, and I wouldn't say that necessarily makes them "fanboys."
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 07-31-20, 10:08 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
People have always been drawn to winning equipment, and I wouldn't say that necessarily makes them "fanboys."
Fanboys: those whose enthusiasms differ from mine.
Old 07-31-20, 06:12 PM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
There is no 'Italian geometry'. It varied from brand to brand and model to.model. Even within a.model, it varied by size.
Look at the link earlier in the thread that.compares some Italian and Japanese race bikes from '84 or whenever- the Italian bikes have varying geometry.
This completely negates your argument about geometry.
HTA, STA, bb drop, chainstay length, fork rake etc- all varied in Italian race bikes.
Those geometries varied for other bikes, too. This concept is called "sizing". Head and seat tube angles are still steeper for Italian bikes. Riding compartments are biased forward as a result. Again, I'm not the only person that notices this stuff.

As for the Bruce Gordon link, two tubes of equal buttong will feel and perform the same.
I suggest you re-read the article. The gist was that, given identical geometry and identical tubing configurations, the Bruce Gordon builds had different rides. Evaluators' preference was clear, and it was for SL over Prestige. The article goes on to state that gauging down the Prestige might have helped with the ride quality. This make sense to those of us that own bikes made from Prestige and understand how they are built (with heat treating).

Columbus tubing, which i have on multiple bikes in both old and new forms, is not magical and performs the same as any other tubing with the same butting.
I am going to have to disagree with you rather strongly here. We have the aforementioned example, whereby the Columbus SL outperformed Tange Prestige at similar geometries, butting and gauge. The Tange was likely much stronger than the SL, but rode more harshly - and would have been closer had it been in thinner gauge. Going in the opposite direction - Columbus SL tubing is likely to provide substantially better ride quality vs. 2040 high-carbon steel at the same butting and at the same geometry. The 2040 would be far too flexible for purpose at those gauges - and likely hazardous to ride - as it would be prone to failure. It's one of the reason that what we refer to as "high tensile" or more pejoratively as "gas pipe" was thicker and seldom butted. Additional mass is required as compensation for lower tensile strength, flexural strength, stiffness, etc. One needs only to check manufacturer's technical sheets.

Butting and external diameter are not the only factors that count. Metallurgy does as well. This is as obvious as the nose on your face to those of us that practice engineering. The steels used in racing bicycles have different amounts of carbon, different amounts of transition metals (notably, chromium, manganese, molybdenum and nickel) for alloying purposes and in some cases secondary treatment steps (such as heat-treating for Tange Prestige).

Italian brands brands appeal to them because bikes from Italy have been romanticized. Winners used to ride Italian brands and many of the brands were relatively small. Those two things create a romanticized view. Small batch building and winning = demand and a desire to be a fanboy.
If that's the case, then we'd have to count a fairly substantial number of American bike builders among the fanboys - because they tended to use nothing but Campagnolo NR and SR on their high end bikes up until the late 1980s. They also favored Columbus SL or SLX - and, later, Neuron (Nivacrom).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.