Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dedicated Winter Bicycle: Yea or Nay

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.
View Poll Results: Build up a dedicated winter bicycle?
No: I one bike is all you need, and that's all I have.
24.00%
No: I have a dedicated winter bike, but you don't need one.
8.00%
Yes: I have a dedicated winter bicycle, and you need one too.
56.00%
Yes: I don't have a dedicated winter bike, but you should.
12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-22, 12:52 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts

So I've always liked the idea of having one bike that can do everything. Currently, that's a Rivendell Appaloosa, set up with fenders, bottle dynamo lighting, front rack, studded tires, etc.--although I also have a summer fixie, a Yuba cargo bicycle, and a tandem.

But after lubing my rear derailleur that seemed to be stuck due to salt, etc, I'm reconsidering. I have an old Fuji S-12 that I might build up into a winter bicycle. I'd either put some sort of drops or perhaps trekking bars on it, probably make it a fixed gear--no more corroded derailleur--with generator lights, fenders, rear rack . . . . They only thing I'd have to buy right away would be a saddle. I probably have all the other pieces on hand, although I might at some point get a hub generator. (I'm in central Ohio, so hills aren't much of a concern, although I don't really like carrying extra weight with a fixie.)
Old 02-18-22, 01:18 PM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
I'm not sure what the problem is as it seems like a no-brainer to go ahead with it since you have the parts. Winters and summers in MN are definitely two different seasons requiring different equipment, so for me, a winter bike is a must. The question I wrestle with is, "Do I need a fat tire bike to add to the winter fleet?" It'd be easier to go for it if garage space wasn't a premium.
Old 02-18-22, 01:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
I don't really have a dedicated winter bike, although I had one that would work well as a winter go to bike.

I have wondered if my few years in St. Louis damaged the paint on my old Colnago. It makes me feel a bit sad at how much wear that bike got over the years.

More recently, I've had issues with water and grit getting everywhere with my newer bikes. Grit into my Campy bottom bracket?

Fortunately, here in Oregon there isn't much road salt, but we still get RAIN.

Do you use studded tires? Perhaps pick a bike that you can get studded tires for. A Titanium frame would be SWEET!!!

Anyway, it wouldn't be a bad idea to build up a winter only bike, if that suits your riding habits.
Old 02-18-22, 01:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I have a little trouble picking which poll option to choose, since I don't want to tell other people what they should do for their specific winter conditions.

As for me, I enjoy not dealing with derailleurs in the winter, but I do appreciate them in the summer, so that means at least two bikes for me.

(In theory, I could strip down a derailleur bike and make it a fixed-gear just in the winter like racers of old, but I'm too lazy for that and having multiple bikes is nice!)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-18-22, 01:58 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Option 4 for me: No: I ride all of my bikes in all conditions, and you should too.
Old 02-18-22, 02:59 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Option 5: It Depends.
Old 02-18-22, 04:32 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
I have 700x35 marathon winters on my main bike:I'd probably transfer those.
Old 02-19-22, 06:29 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 49 Posts
There's no way I'd ride my 3 season bike in the winter around here. I go into winter knowing that the salt is most probably going to eat up a chain and set of sprockets each season. I don't even try to wipe down a chain after lubing in the winter, I just spray on the lube, knowing that there's a major cleaning/disassembly in the future. My winter bike has much fatter tires that I don't need in the warmer months. My winter bike has cheaper components and wider bars for more control. I love riding in the winter but it's a total departure from riding in the other seasons and definitely requires a different bike. We get a lot of "lake effect" weather here, which basically means that crazy weather blows in off Lake Ontario.
As far as the poll goes, I didn't see an option for ---Yes, I have a dedicated winter bike and you probably should too if you live around here.---
Old 02-19-22, 06:38 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
We get a lot of "lake effect" weather here, which basically means that crazy weather...
Few will understand or believe your area's snow. Heck, I worked in Watertown for 6 months and I still shake my head.

On the other side of the world, here in NYC, I think we can get more salt than snow and I'm making my Motobecane the winter bike.
Old 02-19-22, 07:21 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
We get around two weeks of salty roads per year. I just hose down my bike after a salty ride (using a yard pump sprayer, hose is frozen), then blast dry with air compressor. I could do this for a month a year but after that I'd probably get a dedicated bike.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 02-22-22, 10:31 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I built up a dedicated winter bike for each member of my family. In upper Midwest, "winter" means road salt season, and it's a long winter. The salt is tough on bikes. First big rain washes away the salt. Then the bikes get hosed down and put away under an awning in the backyard. That way, I'm also not changing out the snow tires.

I don't ride recreationally during the winter: Just commuting and shopping. So I don't need my sporty bikes. For exercise during the winter I prefer walking and cross country skiing. The winter bike is pretty klunky. It's got an old 3 speed IGH with coaster brake and a shifter that's easy to operate with ski gloves.
Old 02-23-22, 09:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I don't have the room or the $ for a winter only bike. I've got 3 bikes, as it is ... this winter it was the MTB that got the studs & the most use. I've got studs for the hybrid but never mounted them. the road bike got out for one cold ride when the pavement was clear. just gotta maintain the bikes, despite winter weather. meaning, they do need a bit more attention, cuz whatever is on the road, gets on the bike

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-23-22 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-23-22, 01:26 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Can I change my vote? I clicked the wrong one, my answer is: Yes: I have a dedicated winter bicycle, and you need one too.
but that depends on where you live ... if 'winter' is a month or two of rainy and cold, you don't need a winter bike; if winter is 4 months of snow cover and sub-freezing temps, you want a winter bike.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 02-23-22, 01:44 PM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
if winter is 4 months of snow cover and sub-freezing temps, you want a winter bike.
It feels like we'll be lucky if it's only 4 months this winter...
Old 02-23-22, 01:51 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
It feels like we'll be lucky if it's only 4 months this winter...
I know, and this week's weather is not helping, snow piled up everywhere, 5F afternoon temps ... but at least it's sunny out

But I did look back at some ride data, and remembered I was still riding my road bike in early December ... also the day a crashed on my classic road bike, I hope to get it back from the LBS next week, ready for spring, when it finally gets here.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 02-23-22, 02:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I used to live in salt/snow country and didn't own a car. In winter, I rode a fix gear with brakes, fenders and cyclo-cross sewup tires. Salt made a mess of everything. Rims were irregular polygons by March. (Too many bottomless potholes and low enough tire pressure to survive any ice.)

Early spring the ritual. Cut the spokes out. Lace in new rims with new summer rubber. Pack bearings. Clean, HB tape. Fresh new bike for those rainy days, around the city and when i just want to run fixed. Early December, the CX tires go back on and the winter h*** starts all over again for the bike.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-26-22, 08:03 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
I have two roughly-the-same folding commuters. One is specialized for winter (ice and snow) and the other is better for rain or fair(er) weather. I take whichever one seems to match the predicted weather
Likes For sweeks:
Old 02-26-22, 09:04 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I would never tell anybody that they only need one bike.
Likes For surveyor6:
Old 02-26-22, 09:07 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
we have so few days of snow or frozen water on roads its pointless to have another bike for those few days.
Old 02-27-22, 07:48 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
I'm in Iowa and having a Winter bike is a must especially if riding year round. Having a belt drive bike for Winter would be best to deal with all that salt, sand and crud on the roads but it all depends on your budget. I have a Jamis Commuter I that I bought on Ebay a couple of years ago from an older gentleman that was hardly ridden and made it my Winter bike. I have 700X38 Schwalbe studded tires, fenders and rack on it that gets ridden when the roads get bad. It's slow, bulky and heavy but I don't worry about it in case of crashes.
Old 02-27-22, 11:07 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by surveyor6
I would never tell anybody that they only need one bike.
Agreed.

It's just so weird to only have one bike.

It's so easy to store a bike anywhere with the correct hardware.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 03-01-22, 06:59 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
I only have one bike and I keep resolving to get a second bike and dedicate "the tank" to winter cycling. but so far one is all I need
Old 03-01-22, 07:39 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I picked up an old Bridgestone BB 1 frame and headset for $10 to build into a dedicated winter commuter. Winter beats the heck out of a bike and there is a lot to be said for running parts you can replace inexpensively. Sure I'd like better brakes than the cantilevers that come on that bike but cantis do the job and the bike can take a 26 x 2.0 studded tire and fenders which works for me.
Old 03-03-22, 12:22 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4265 Post(s)
Liked 2,937 Times in 1,811 Posts
I choose an option not available. I have two bikes that I ride in the winter, depending on whether studded tires are needed or not, and both are set up as winter bikes...in the winter. In the non-winter, one of them is my gravel bike and the other I use for commuting, casual rides, and some other things.

But that's a far cry from "one bike is all you need". Neither of these two bikes are my main non-winter rigs, which are both dedicated road bikes.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 03-03-22, 11:40 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I choose an option not available. I have two bikes that I ride in the winter, depending on whether studded tires are needed or not, and both are set up as winter bikes...in the winter. In the non-winter, one of them is my gravel bike and the other I use for commuting, casual rides, and some other things.

But that's a far cry from "one bike is all you need". Neither of these two bikes are my main non-winter rigs, which are both dedicated road bikes.
I feel like this is a very Minneapolis set up ... before I moved to a home office (long before the pandemic), I had the Pugsley for snowy days; the SS MTB with studs for icy days; and the summer commuter for some slush but no ice. It's the kinda thing you do when snow and ice are a thing from October through April.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.