Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do You Wear Team Logo Apparel?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Wear Logo’d Apparel?
No never, wouldn’t even think of it
57.14%
I only fly my own racing teams colors
16.33%
Enjoy logo’d apparel and makes me feel more racy
2.04%
Some times
15.31%
I mix and match logo’d and non-logo’d
11.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Wear Team Logo Apparel?

Old 03-02-22, 08:18 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Guys,

I'll wear a team logo jersey once one of these teams pays me to ride my bike.
Old 03-02-22, 08:21 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
I find it fascinating how butthurt some folks are about what another person wears ... or doesn't wear.

I ride with a guy that can complete The DAMn with Crocs and discount fishing shirt (it's UV protective), and I know a guy that showed up for that ride with over $10K in bike and top quality kit that melted down after 150 miles.

I ride what is comfortable and works for the goals of the ride ... and that changes from day-to-day. Cotton is fine when running errands or social events; and lycra* is great when training or racing.

Just go ride your effing bike, and let others ride their bike.

*Footnote: Lycra/Spandex is not simply polyester, Lycra and polyester are both synthetic materials but that's all they have in common. If you don't like polyester for biking ... I get it! But do not lump quality Lycra materials in the same bin.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 03-02-22 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 03-02-22, 08:26 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
The problem I am often faced with when picking out cycling apparel is length, availability, & cost. Mainly for the top of everything I try on is too short. I would pay 10% more than the average general retailer "online" price (amazon, ebay, etc) if I could have the rear pockets be lower which means providing coverage for the lower back. Bibs resolve the exposure, but the ridiculous short jersey is not acceptable for me. Ever try reaching in those rear jersey pockets mid ride? Horrible!
Old 03-02-22, 08:28 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad

Just go ride your effing bike, and let others ride their bike.
Don't you tell us what to do!!!
Old 03-02-22, 08:30 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by prj71
Don't you tell us what to do!!!
Old 03-02-22, 08:32 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Wearing team logos is nothing more than a fashion statement and serves no useful purpose.
Sometimes I can't believe this website is free.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-02-22, 08:37 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
And? You looking for a promotion to Colonel Obvious?

Not sure whether making a fashion statement is or isn't a useful purpose, by the way. That's a value judgment.
You advocate cotton for cycling which is the most uncomfortable fabric for riding and then feel butthurt when people try to explain to you that there are more comfortable and more practical alternatives to cotton...I have experimented with all kinds of fabrics and I can tell you that modern synthetic technical fabrics are 100 times better than cotton for riding or performing any type of intense physical activity. Telling people to ride in cotton is just silly because experienced riders know better.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-02-22, 08:39 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
That's just it. These jerseys generic carbon frames are made in the same places (Presumably China) as the $80-$100 jerseys $$$$ frames that say Specialized, Trek, Giant or whatever team logo or big brand name may be on them.
I knew I'd seen this argument before!

(psssst - it's wrong either way)
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-02-22, 08:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 3,298 Posts
For cycling, I'll give cotton an okay if it is for loose outer clothing. However for things needing to fit snug to your skin for wicking sweat away or to provide protection from abrasion of your skin in your nether regions that touch the saddle it is a very poor choice.
Old 03-02-22, 08:57 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
That's just it. These jerseys are made in the same places (Presumably China) as the $80-$100 jerseys that say Specialized, Trek, Giant or whatever team logo or big brand name may be on them.
Textile manufacturing is done to specs. The jerseys could even be made in the same facility, but that doesn't mean they are the same or even similar.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing you've never tried a truly nice, expensive jersey. I don't know how else you can keep claiming that they're no different than your $20 eBay specials.

You advocate cotton for cycling which is the most uncomfortable fabric for riding and then feel butthurt when people try to explain to you that there are more comfortable and more practical alternatives to cotton...I have experimented with all kinds of fabrics and I can tell you that modern synthetic technical fabrics are 100 times better than cotton for riding or performing any type of intense physical activity. Telling people to ride in cotton is just silly because experienced riders know better.
I don't recall livedarklions telling anyone to ride in cotton. He was just stating a preference, and you seem butthurt when people don't agree with your preferences.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-02-22, 09:06 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Koyote
I could be wrong, but I'm guessing you've never tried a truly nice, expensive jersey. I don't know how else you can keep claiming that they're no different than your $20 eBay specials..
I think you missed my post earlier in this thread. I have some "truly nice expensive" jersey's that I won in some mountain bike racing events...Some were made by Borah Teamwear and Some by Sugoi...They aren't any better in fit, finish etc. than my $20 Amazon jerseys. The all work equally well and manage moisture wicking all the same.
Old 03-02-22, 09:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

I don't "advocate" squat, I just find cotton more comfortable than any polyesters, and I don't find cotton uncomfortable in the least. That's literally all I've said, I defy you to quote anything where I told anyone to ride in anything. Go ahead, and when you can't find it, I'll be happy to accept your apology.

All I've said is that I'm tired of being told I'm wrong because I find cotton very comfortable. If you consider that being "butthurt", too bad. I'm a very experienced rider who pedals hard over 100 miles in some pretty damn hot weather. I've heard the same thing about preferring cotton from some other experienced riders, and although we're a distinct minority, since comfort is by its very nature subjective, I think it's hilarious that y'all think it appropriate to tell us we're wrong. I also think it's hilarious that people are telling prj71 he isn't really comfortable in the cheap polyester jerseys he wears because he isn't spending enough money on them. On the other hand, I also think it's hilarious that he's telling people who say they're more comfortable in expensive than cheap polyester they're wrong to pay more for them.

You, on the other hand, have gone from thread to thread posting that anyone who doesn't share your preferences is wrong. I could quote literally dozens of such posts on all kinds of topics.

My quibble here is with people who are clearly stating subjective statements as undeniable truths. Sorry if that bugs you, but get over it.

I also haven't posted anything as blandly obvious that wearing a team logo is a fashion statement if you aren't actually on the team as if it's a revelation. Nice try at the deflection.
Old 03-02-22, 09:15 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
I think you missed my post earlier in this thread. I have some "truly nice expensive" jersey's that I won in some mountain bike racing events...Some were made by Borah Teamwear and Some by Sugoi...They aren't any better in fit, finish etc. than my $20 Amazon jerseys. The all work equally well and manage moisture wicking all the same.
I didn't miss your earlier post. I'm stating that lower-end lines from mid-level manufacturers doesn't constitute "truly nice expensive." The stuff they give away at events is never very good.
Old 03-02-22, 09:18 AM
WhyFi

And they were from an MTB event, presumably club fit at best and almost certainly too big for technical road apparel. Your idea of a "long, hard" day is a flat, <16mph organized ride. IOW, your frame of reference is suspect and your needs aren't rigorous. It's wonderful that you can take care of your needs so inexpensively, but don't presume to tell people with more demanding needs that all polyester jerseys are the same.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-02-22, 09:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
*Footnote: Lycra/Spandex is not simply polyester, Lycra are polyester are both synthetic materials but that's all they have in common. If you don't like polyester for biking ... I get it! But do not lump quality Lycra materials in the same bin.

Aha! Here's where the whole subjective thing comes in--lots of people have sensitivity to those fabrics, myself included. When we're talking about comfort, we may very well be experiencing very different interactions between our skin and those fabrics. I don't think sensitivities have to be full-blown break out in hives kind of things, so it's quite possible that people who don't find those fabrics comfortable are getting low-grade reactions they're experiencing just as discomfort. Cotton is hypo-allergenic, on the other hand. So my comfort with it could simply be that it's what I'm used to out of necessity.

I really don't care what others choose to wear, btw. I think I've been very careful not to imply any disapproval of anyone else's choices.

Last edited by livedarklions; 03-02-22 at 09:24 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-02-22, 09:24 AM
WhyFi

It's funny that you say this -

I defy you to quote anything where I told anyone to ride in anything. Go ahead, and when you can't find it, I'll be happy to accept your apology.
...and then follow it up with this -

I also think it's hilarious that people are telling prj71 he isn't really comfortable in the cheap polyester jerseys he wears because he isn't spending enough money on them.
...because that's just as inaccurate as what he was accusing you of.
Old 03-02-22, 09:25 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Koyote
I didn't miss your earlier post. I'm stating that lower-end lines from mid-level manufacturers doesn't constitute "truly nice expensive." The stuff they give away at events is never very good.
So these $99 to $132 Sugoi jerseys I won at biking events aren't any good?

https://us-store.sugoi.com/collectio...s-bike-jerseys
Old 03-02-22, 09:27 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by WhyFi
And they were from an MTB event, presumably club fit at best and almost certainly too big for technical road apparel. Your idea of a "long, hard" day is a flat, <16mph organized ride. IOW, your frame of reference is suspect and your needs aren't rigorous. It's wonderful that you can take care of your needs so inexpensively, but don't presume to tell people with more demanding needs that all polyester jerseys are the same.

That was a leisurly ride with the GF.

Is this better for you?? Less Flat...These were gravel events I did on a mountain bike wearing cheap jerseys. It's amazing I made it through them!!!

Last edited by prj71; 03-02-22 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-02-22, 09:29 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

That's just it. These jerseys are made in the same places (Presumably China) as the $80-$100 jerseys that say Specialized, Trek, Giant or whatever team logo or big brand name may be on them.
My team kit (not pro replica) is manufactured in St Paul, Minnesota, USA ... Podiumwear (reference my post earlier in this thread) ... and it is much better material, manufacturing, and design than the mass-produced pro replica kits ... or the freebee charity ride kit for that matter.

Reading some of your other posts in this thread, I think you understand the differences between entry level (low $) and quality kit (higher $$$). And I will say that there are diminishing returns as you spend more-and-more. Therefore, for a recreational rider, there's no real value in spending top $$$ on a kit (except possibly the logos on the kit).
Old 03-02-22, 09:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Iride01
For cycling, I'll give cotton an okay if it is for loose outer clothing. However for things needing to fit snug to your skin for wicking sweat away or to provide protection from abrasion of your skin in your nether regions that touch the saddle it is a very poor choice.

I actually wear very snug-fitting cotton shirts, and they work very well for me. I also don't have any problems with cotton cargo shorts.

I encourage people to experiment with various things if they find they're uncomfortable in what they're wearing regardless of whatever someone else is telling them about what should or shouldn't be comfortable.
Old 03-02-22, 09:38 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Cotton is best for walking in, particularly if it's high or tall.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-02-22, 09:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by WhyFi
It's funny that you say this -

...and then follow it up with this -
I also think it's hilarious that people are telling prj71 he isn't really comfortable in the cheap polyester jerseys he wears because he isn't spending enough money on them.

...because that's just as inaccurate as what he was accusing you of.
When you posted this, I went back and checked, and you're absolutely right. No one actually said or implied that. I was absolutely wrong.

I apologize for that. Thank you for the correction.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-02-22, 09:40 AM
WhyFi

Aha! Here's where the whole subjective thing comes in--lots of people have sensitivity to those fabrics, myself included. When we're talking about comfort, we may very well be experiencing very different interactions between our skin and those fabrics. I don't think sensitivities have to be full-blown break out in hives kind of things, so it's quite possible that people who don't find those fabrics comfortable are getting low-grade reactions they're experiencing just as discomfort. Cotton is hypo-allergenic, on the other hand. So my comfort with it could simply be that it's what I'm used to out of necessity.

I really don't care what others choose to wear, btw. I think I've been very careful not to imply any disapproval of anyone else's choices.
Like you, I don't care what others choose to wear - if it works for you, it works for you. Like you, I find it obnoxious to be told that my perceptions and experiences are wrong. What's doubly obnoxious in this case, is being told that by people who likely have limited common experience.

You find cotton comfortable - great. Everybody here has worn cotton shirts - we can make an informed decision to agree or disagree.

When it comes to opinions on good technical fabrics, which aren't as ubiquitous or accessible as cotton, I think that it's fair that people qualify their opinion. You find polyester uncomfortable and it sounds as if that's been the case for a long time. Fair enough... but with the strides in high-end technical fabrics in the last decade or so, are you really in a position to comment on their characteristics and your disposition towards them? This stuff ain't grandpa's, or even dad's, polyester.
Old 03-02-22, 09:43 AM
WhyFi

That was a leisurly ride with the GF.

Is this better for you?? Less Flat...These were gravel events I did on a mountain bike wearing cheap jerseys. It's amazing I made it through them!!!

You were the one that cherry-picked those rides as being characteristic of hard rides, not me. As far as these, sorry, but I remain unimpressed.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-02-22, 09:43 AM
prj71

OK. You win the internet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.