Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon pad preferences for rim brake carbon wheels in 2022

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon pad preferences for rim brake carbon wheels in 2022

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-22, 12:03 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Another Black Prince guy here.

I ride a lot in rolling hills and some mountains. The worst I've had were some cheap generic pads that came with the Superteam wheels I ran at the time. I also wouldn't recommend the Reynolds Cryo blue pads either; they're hard as rocks.
Old 03-03-22, 12:26 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Does anyone at all like SwissStop Yellow Kings? Why or why not?
I hate them. The smell nearly triggers an asthma attack for me (on a recumbent, the fumes waft right into my lungs). They do not have as good braking force as the Prince. They do last longer for me
Old 03-03-22, 01:34 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I still have a cache of blue Williams branded pads, which were Reynolds clones. Work great, last a heckuva lot longer than 400 miles.
I often think back to him. I briefly discussed buying the brand with him like 4 years ago. At that point though it was all marketing with no product aside from a couple molds that were very old in design.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-03-22, 01:36 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

As a wheel company we either provide the pads required by the company that molded the rims or we do Black Prince.

Yellows are softer and leave streaks.

OP wearing through Prince pads like that - especially the rear faster than the front - I would question how you use your brakes.

Old 03-03-22, 01:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I often think back to him. I briefly discussed buying the brand with him like 4 years ago. At that point though it was all marketing with no product aside from a couple molds that were very old in design.
Yeah, it's a shame. I love my Williams 58s. You still see quite a few Williams wheels in NorCal.
Old 03-03-22, 01:52 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts

OP wearing through Prince pads like that - especially the rear faster than the front - I would question how you use your brakes.
Averaging 20k-ft of climbing and 300 miles/week with plenty of 15-20% grades. Prince pads have worked well in these hilly and wet Pacific Northwest conditions, they just don't last long.. which is why I just bought an Aeroad disc
Old 03-03-22, 02:20 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Yellows are softer and leave streaks.
I think I can deal with yellow streaks, but does "softer" equate to increased braking force or better modulation thereof?
Old 03-03-22, 04:12 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by ctak
Averaging 20k-ft of climbing and 300 miles/week with plenty of 15-20% grades. Prince pads have worked well in these hilly and wet Pacific Northwest conditions, they just don't last long.. which is why I just bought an Aeroad disc
Its the front/rear balance of wear. Fronts would be used more/harder than the rears and should wear faster or at least equally. To have the rear burn up more implies a lot of brake dragging for speed control without utilizing the higher power of the front brakes to actually stop.

...so get off the brakes more, brake harder when you do brake and brake with the front more than the rear as it has more power.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-03-22, 04:13 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

I think I can deal with yellow streaks, but does "softer" equate to increased braking force or better modulation thereof?
They were great when that's what we had. They don't work as well as Prince do for the majority of riders that I have worked with.

Old 03-03-22, 04:30 PM
ctak

Its the front/rear balance of wear. Fronts would be used more/harder than the rears and should wear faster or at least equally. To have the rear burn up more implies a lot of brake dragging for speed control without utilizing the higher power of the front brakes to actually stop.

...so get off the brakes more, brake harder when you do brake and brake with the front more than the rear as it has more power.
Not using them anymore as I've moved to disc, but wasn't about to use high power on the fronts descending 15%+ grades with super grabby textured Mavic carbon rims.
Old 03-24-22, 05:03 PM
ctak

For anyone interested, I recently corresponded with a Mavic tech on replacement pads for their carbon rims with the iTgMAX textured brake track (Cosmic Carbone 40 Elite, Cosmic Pro Carbon UST, etc). Their reply: "Do not use the Black Prince brake pads, these will cause irreversible damage to the carbon rims." Yellow Kings and Mavic's newer grey formulation (SS Flash Pro grey for carbon, pictured below) are the only approved pads for their wheels with the laser etched surface.

Old 03-24-22, 05:17 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Reynolds Blue pads have always served me well.
Likes For ls01:
Old 03-24-22, 06:36 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

For anyone interested, I recently corresponded with a Mavic tech on replacement pads for their carbon rims with the iTgMAX textured brake track (Cosmic Carbone 40 Elite, Cosmic Pro Carbon UST, etc). Their reply: "Do not use the Black Prince brake pads, these will cause irreversible damage to the carbon rims." Yellow Kings and Mavic's newer grey formulation (SS Flash Pro grey for carbon, pictured below) are the only approved pads for their wheels with the laser etched surface.

The Mavic Cosmic SLR 40 which I recently ordered (but had to return) also came with these pads; I had heard and assumed that they were SwissStop Black Prince, but I stand corrected.
Old 06-26-23, 03:44 PM
razorjack

Bikes: Trans Sentinel, Spesh Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I've just finished my first pair of SwissStop Black Prince - ~1500km !! wow! amazing !
not impressed (all in dry), and most expensive pads... (40 eur??)
I used it with Roval Rapide CLX wheels.

My previous wheels (some no-name carbon) and their pads (for carbon) survived ~15000km ! (yes, 10x more).

Now I want to try Shimano R55C4, are they good? (~15eur for a pair) or anything else ?

Last edited by razorjack; 01-11-24 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-26-23, 04:52 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by razorjack
I've just finished my first pair of SwissStop Black Prince - ~1500km !! wow! amazing !
not impressed (all in dry), and most expensive pads... (40 eur??)
I used it with Roval Rapide CLX wheels.

My previous wheels (some no-name carbon) and their pads (for carbon) survived ~15000km ! (yes, 10x more).
Do you have any issues with Black Prince other than fast pad wear and price? Brake pad wear would be the least of my concerns, and certainly much less important (1) stopping power and (2) brake track wear.

Now I want to try Shimano R55C4, are they good? (~7eur for a pair) or anything else ?
Not sure, but make sure to get the CF rim specific version.
Old 06-27-23, 01:14 AM
razorjack

Do you have any issues with Black Prince other than fast pad wear and price? Brake pad wear would be the least of my concerns, and certainly much less important (1) stopping power and (2) brake track wear.
Not sure, but make sure to get the CF rim specific version.
I guess it's difficult to measure track wear after only 1500km.
On my previous wheels, after 15000km track wear is minimal.

however it's difficult for me to compare stopping power now, different wheels, different pads and different brakes (duracce 2 pivot, vs ultegra 1 pivot brakes)
yes, new bike has better stopping power ,but, it could be brakes, different rim, or black prince.

ah...right, R55C4 - i thought that 'C4' means for carbon rims already.... 19eur for carbon
Old 06-27-23, 03:06 AM
Mike sgonre

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Have you guys heard of this carbon fiber rim brake pad? swisstot
Old 06-27-23, 10:23 AM
hose
Miyata Mike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
KoolStop dura type fronts practically fell apart after only like 100 miles of riding. anyone have ebay links to beter pads with quick shipping in US
Old 07-05-23, 06:34 PM
beeballman
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Roval Carbon Rim brake wheels

What do you like, dislike and/or would like to try? Might be helpful to know the make/model of your wheelset and whether most of your rides are in hilly or flat areas.

1) Mavic Cosmic Carbone 40s
2) Hilly
3) Like: Swiss Stop FlashPro Black Prince. Excellent stopping power in the dry. They aren't exactly inexpensive and I only get about 400 miles per rear pair (600 for the front), at which point I replace them.
4) Dislike: Kool Stop Dura-Type carbon. These wear about 2x faster for me than the BP pads. Dura-Type 2 pads are supposed to be thicker, but haven't tried them.
5) Would like to try: Swiss Stop Yellow King or FlashPro Yellow. I've heard these last longer than BP pads but leave yellow residue and utilize an older compound with reduced stopping power.
I have Roval CL50 carbon rim brake wheels, have had them since 2020. I use the Black Prince brake pads as they are what was recommended by the manufacturer. I am only on my second set of pads. I do not see how your only getting 600 miles per pair of pads? I do about 3000 miles a year, mostly flat. (Florida) , I also never ride in the rain. My current pair of pads I swapped in October 2022, and they are going strong with allot of pad still left. Unsure why you would only get so few miles from the pads. Also- check the wheelset manufacturer, most wheelsets have a specific brand of pads you must use or it will void any type of Warrantee.
Old 07-05-23, 06:55 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts

That was the comment I was looking for.

Getting only 400 miles on a pair of pads, I thought jeez, what kind of insane 9-corner hillside crit is this guy racing every week?

But then when I saw the rear pads were going out faster than the rears -- makes sense to move to disc brakes.
Old 03-27-24, 04:57 PM
razorjack

Any updates? Any recommendations ?
I've just put shimano pads and stopping power is quite good, maybe just a bit lower than SwissStop Black Prince.
My last Black Prince at the front survived 3000km (and I do roughly 1000m climbs every 50-60km)

Last edited by razorjack; 04-17-24 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-27-24, 05:10 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
No mention yet either of the Campy red pads.. no takers?
They do say Red is fastest.. but I'm unsure you want this in a brake pad...
Old 03-27-24, 05:40 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Any updates? any recommendations ?
I've just put shimano pads (for carbon of course and stopping power is noticeably lower :/ )
my last Black Prince at the front survived 3000km (and I do roughly 1000m climbs every 50-60km)
My first set of Black Prince pads are still working well since my last post above. Compared to a brand new set, maybe 2 mm thinner? Also, no noticeable brake track wear on the wheels. But I only climb (or descend) about a third of what you do for a given distance ridden.

So, I still have a brand new set of Black Prince and a brand new set of Yellow Kings. Most likely not going to have to buy rim brake pads again. I wonder if using Black Prince up front and Yellow King in the rear (when it is time to swap) would cause any issues?