Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rim brakes and carbon rims

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rim brakes and carbon rims

Old 05-03-22, 10:06 AM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
I don't know what pressure you run your tubulars at, but I start every ride with my tubeless tires at 60-65 psi, and that leaves room for increased pressure and no resulting problems.
It just happens that I (along with 4 others, 2 more with carbon rim brakes) descended over 12 miles and 4,000 feet with an average of 7% on Sunday with both brakes on very nearly 100% of the time.
I didn't die and my tire pressure didn't change, no fade, no overheat situation. Reason why we had to brake all the way down was because sudden variable high gusting tailwinds came up, and my average speed for that segment was 29.4 mph...with both brakes applied nearly 100% of the 12 mile descent. These wheels have 2 years of use on them at this point.
Old 05-03-22, 10:39 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by Miles2go
When a rider buddy makes this point (which I do agree with as far as ultimate braking performance), I often ask, "Tell me about all the times rim brakes let you down, or failed you." Crickets, and sometimes even an amazed realization in response.
I guess that depends on how you define "rim brakes let you down." I've never crashed because of rim brakes, but I've certainly had some really exciting moments when braking in wet conditions.
Old 05-03-22, 10:56 AM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I guess that depends on how you define "rim brakes let you down." I've never crashed because of rim brakes, but I've certainly had some really exciting moments when braking in wet conditions.
Oh, I could say the same if I think back to the days riding a bike with a lousy pads/brake surface combo, though I don't remember any really hairy situations. You could diminish a disc brake system too. My modern rim brake bikes have been great in the dry and wet. I guess I should add that I've never weighed more than 180 pounds, and currently hang out around 155lbs.
Old 05-03-22, 10:58 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2788 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
I use Reynolds pads. I have 2 sets of Reynolds and 3 sets of SuperTeam. They work well on both brands. I don't live in a hilly area but do go to Kentucky to ride once a year. Hasn't been a problem.
Old 05-03-22, 11:25 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
In the dry, my newest set of carbon race wheels somehow brake better than my aluminum training wheelset. I have also not encountered any sketchiness with heat buildup and have complete confidence in them on even the gnarliest downhills (though the mountains here only feature 3-4 mile descents tops, not sure how the santa monica mountains are). I say this as someone that has melted the epoxy and buckled a brake track on an older pair of carbon rims. Don't fear the reaper, modern carbon rims are fine.
Old 05-03-22, 04:31 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Can anyone else comment on the slight pulsing during initial braking which I experienced on my first ride? I read somewhere else (Trainer Road?) that this phenomenon is unavoidable on carbon fiber wheels because (1) a carbon fiber brake track surface is inherently grabbier and (2) a carbon fiber wheel, even if perfectly true, would have slight width variance around its perimeter because, unlike an alloy brake track, it cannot be further milled so that the thickness is perfectly even around its perimeter. These reasons make perfect sense to me, but I would like to know (a) what everyone's actual experience is, and (b) whether this phenomenon diminishes after I have used the wheels more.
Old 05-04-22, 06:48 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Quoted: 2788 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Can anyone else comment on the slight pulsing during initial braking which I experienced on my first ride? I read somewhere else (Trainer Road?) that this phenomenon is unavoidable on carbon fiber wheels because (1) a carbon fiber brake track surface is inherently grabbier and (2) a carbon fiber wheel, even if perfectly true, would have slight width variance around its perimeter because, unlike an alloy brake track, it cannot be further milled so that the thickness is perfectly even around its perimeter. These reasons make perfect sense to me, but I would like to know (a) what everyone's actual experience is, and (b) whether this phenomenon diminishes after I have used the wheels more.
yes, I can. I have had one front wheel fail and that was the symptom that presented before I stopped riding it. The brake lever actually started to pulse in my hand because the bed was beginning to separate. I also had another wheel blow apart due to manufacturers defect. The side wall blew out of the rim in the back of my truck on the way to a ride. It launched carbon Fibre confetti all over the back of my pick up.
Neither one crashed me.
Old 05-04-22, 07:18 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by ls01
yes, I can. I have had one front wheel fail and that was the symptom that presented before I stopped riding it. The brake lever actually started to pulse in my hand because the bed was beginning to separate.
Oh, dear. I don't think mine is the same. The slight pulsing I described above only happens during initial braking (e.g., maybe the first two revolutions of the wheel after I apply the brakes) and goes away thereafter even I keep squeezing the brake lever. Also, I have only ridden 60 miles on these wheels, so I sure hope that no part is separating from any other part.
Old 05-04-22, 09:08 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Oh, dear. I don't think mine is the same. The slight pulsing I described above only happens during initial braking (e.g., maybe the first two revolutions of the wheel after I apply the brakes) and goes away thereafter even I keep squeezing the brake lever. Also, I have only ridden 60 miles on these wheels, so I sure hope that no part is separating from any other part.
A video is worth a million words. Do you have a textured brake track?
Old 05-04-22, 09:11 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by smashndash
A video is worth a million words.
Let me figure out how to take one while braking.

Originally Posted by smashndash
Do you have a textured brake track?
No, the brake tracks feel perfectly smooth underneath my fingertips.
Old 05-05-22, 01:02 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
My rule of thumb, as a 160-lb guy who averages 20-25k ft of climbing per week (10k miles last yr), has been to go with Dura Ace c24s (aluminum brake track with carbon laminate) on my rim brake climbing bike or my slightly heavier aero disc bike on rides with over 5k ft of elevation. Otherwise, spending a lot of time on a non-disc Roubaix with Mavic 40mm carbon hoops (DA 9000 calipers). Also have a set of deeper Roval clx carbon clinchers and Easton carbon tubulars.

I've used carbon clinchers on plenty of dry 5k+ days and they've been totally fine but, as another poster stated above, quality carbon pads aren't cheap and don't last as long. OTOH, if I was only ascending 10k elevation per week or weighed less, I'd exclusively move over the carbon clinchers.

Be sure to use the right pads with your rims. Mavic has an excellent new-ish grey compound pad for their textured TgMAX rims. Black Prince for the Rovals and Eastons, which can be a bit "grabby" at times but work great.
Old 05-05-22, 02:13 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I descend Colorado mountains (not as steep, but a LOT longer, and I'm 84kg-ish) with LightBicycle carbon wheels and Swiss Stop Black Prince pads (on Campy Potenza brakes). Works great, and other than some squeal when I'm really clamping on them, I've had no issues. Like mentioned, stick with reputable brands and enjoy....
Old 05-05-22, 02:17 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
could be a slight out-of-true, and/or the pads are contacting at slightly different times (not quite centered)...?
Old 05-05-22, 04:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by ctak
Mavic has an excellent new-ish grey compound pad for their textured TgMAX rims.
Ouch, $40 per pair, so $80 for a full set.

Originally Posted by ctak
Black Prince for the Rovals and Eastons, which can be a bit "grabby" at times but work great.
Many describe rim braking on carbon clinchers as grabby; maybe what I experienced as slight pulsing is just grabby to everyone else, because the brake levers are not pulsing.