Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Motor not wanting to throttle every few minutes

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 05-10-22, 08:04 AM
rapattack

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

The last couple of weeks i have this issue where the motor doesnt throttle every few minutes. I only use the throttle function. i noticed that a light that is on something on the stem(sort of) turns red when this is happening. The light goes off when it throttles ok. I pulled the battery out(newish rebuild battery) and cleaned the contacts as in the past this has happening randomly(so when i cleaned the contacts everything worked again fine but not when i did it yesterday then cycled today). I noticed in the past, then that there is some movement at the base(fish battery). well thats something i have noticed with any battery i have had so i made a strap to stop it moving so much at the top. doesnt really solve the issue but its better....or was. The bike was purchased new 9 years ago and i have had 3 batteries. the newish battery was fine but i know i will have to check all the cables probably down to the 'controller' or whatever that thing is called under the battery in its own compartment. cant think of the name right now. i have opened in there many times. i have even installed a new throttle and lots of stuff. i am not a bike mechanic but since they are so rare where i live i often have to do repairs myself. My bike is not mentioned online anywhere so cant get that info. the person who distributed it in australia stopped doing that some years ago and no stores stock it here. tried googling and there is nothing anymore. What else should i check?
Old 05-12-22, 01:28 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Intermittent failures can be caused by too many problems to remotely diagnose - bad connections, broken wires, poor solder joints, etc. After nine years of use any of these are potential failure points.

I would put the bike on some sort of stand, power it up, and then vigorously shake-tap-wiggle every wire, plug, connection, and component on it to see if you can duplicate the failure. Also - regarding the red light: What is its function and does it come on at any other time during normal riding?
Old 05-13-22, 09:36 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by MNebiker
Intermittent failures can be caused by too many problems to remotely diagnose - bad connections, broken wires, poor solder joints, etc. After nine years of use any of these are potential failure points.

I would put the bike on some sort of stand, power it up, and then vigorously shake-tap-wiggle every wire, plug, connection, and component on it to see if you can duplicate the failure. Also - regarding the red light: What is its function and does it come on at any other time during normal riding?
Yes i hear you on that. i dont have a stand but i have attached another of my batteries and see what happens when i get to ride again. sydney has had a lot of rain and i dont ride in the rain. hoping today is rain free. i have no clue of the red lights function. just noticed that the light is on when the throttle is not working. i cant say the whole time thats the case as the light is bleow me and i have to ride safely. just seems to be the case. the light seems to not be on at other times during a ride
Old 05-16-22, 09:12 AM
rapattack

Update

So i had two ride session with a different battery i have and apart from a small period of the red light plus not wanting to throttle it didnt do that again. Then i attached the battery in question back again and the issue came back but not as bad. so i reckon it has to do with the connectors under the battery. i think i have to get in there and clean them. i have no clue how to though. Do you know what i mean MNebiker . appreciate some advice
Old 05-17-22, 05:53 AM
rapattack

Put the original battery back on today and only lost power a couple of times(the throttle issue). i havent cleaned the connectors or whatever they are called so weird. if anyone can give me advice on how to get up there inside it would be good to know thanks
Old 05-19-22, 09:35 AM
rapattack

Strangely the electricals seems to work better today so not sure whats happened. will monitor as didnt do a long ride today. the next few days as long as no rain will give me a better gauge on whats happening
Old 05-26-22, 10:03 AM
rapattack

Seems today the ride was a lot better as it was the day before. i havent ridden much as there has been a lot of rain for weeks. maybe taking the battery off and riding with the other older one helped it. its still not perfect but better than the constant power outtage
Old 06-01-22, 12:04 AM
rapattack

still have issue unfortunately

Originally Posted by MNebiker

I don't know if photo is coming through. Still have issue. the light is on the 'King meter'. just noticed the words on it today.when light is on it doesn't throttle
Old 06-08-22, 04:38 AM
rapattack

found the issue

so that king meter is the issue or should I say the cables above and below. so I wiggled many cables but these r the ones that reacted. when I push in or out or away from the King meter they responded. push in and working. push out or pull out not working. so I am not sure if they click in or screw in or the wire passes through? I am not sure how to treat the issue
Old 06-15-22, 08:20 AM
rapattack

Good news everything is working now. apparently that king meter was attached to the back brake and is a sensor. it mainly is for speed and when the bike brakes the back light goes on. but years ago i took the back light off that attaches to the battery because i broke it. i have had a solar back light since then that works great. so now i can brake and no issues. apparently thats what was killing the power getting to the throttle after each time i used the brake. i didnt realise that until i talked to an ebike shop and we talked through what happens and when
Likes For rapattack:
Old 06-15-22, 10:11 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Thanks for the "journey". Those cut off systems can be problematic. I had one once with a stuck (in some electrical manner) brake lever switch. Since then I've disabled them except on my granddaughter's and wife's bikes.
Old 06-18-22, 12:10 PM
rapattack

Originally Posted by 2old
Thanks for the "journey". Those cut off systems can be problematic. I had one once with a stuck (in some electrical manner) brake lever switch. Since then I've disabled them except on my granddaughter's and wife's bikes.
oh that sounds a pain. i had no idea what the use of this thing was even after about 13 years of owning ebikes. i guess you have confirmed we are always learning. glad this fix didnt cost me a fortune as well as it is rather pricey for a pensioner to own an ebike. i will continue though i think for a few more decades. so were the grandmothers and wifes bikes still usable?
Likes For rapattack:
Old 06-18-22, 12:56 PM
2old

No problem; the switches have functioned perfectly on their systems (so far).
Old 06-28-22, 09:33 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by 2old
No problem; the switches have functioned perfectly on their systems (so far).
Thats so good. My bike is still working well after many rides so pretty happy
Likes For rapattack:
Old 06-28-22, 09:48 AM
2old

Originally Posted by rapattack
Thats so good. My bike is still working well after many rides so pretty happy
Excellent news.