Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Much less volume of poop

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Much less volume of poop

Old 06-26-22, 04:03 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Much less volume of poop

I've been noticing ever since I took structured training since a month ago, my daily poop amount started getting less and less in volume. Just by looking at it, it looks less than 50 grams daily average. Otherwise, there's no sign of any health issues nor constipated from the looks and hardly makes any smell.

And then yesterday, I did the longest ride I this year, most of it in the mountains. I did not poop yesterday but I ate A LOT of food yesterday, before, during, and after the ride. That includes lots of carbs and meat. So I skipped a day of poop, ate incredible amount of food. I should be pooping a lot, right? Today (rest day) I pooped but still made less than 50 grams despite all the food I ate! Again, the stools show no sign of issues and not constipated. I even looked at the bathroom mirror and saw my tummy is totally flat like I have eaten nothing. So where did all those poop went? Is this normal to anyone quite physically active?
Old 06-26-22, 03:28 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
How does one judge the weight of one's poop by looking at it? What is the frame of reference here
Old 06-26-22, 07:44 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
How does one judge the weight of one's poop by looking at it? What is the frame of reference here
let's not have a frame of reference please. i don't really want to know what 50g of poop looks like. never weighed mine and likely never will.
Old 06-26-22, 08:43 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
I last time I gave a stool sample for a medical test, I still remember the weight and the volume associated with the weight. Simply extrapolate according to the volume by visual inspection. It's not a lot.

Compared to the daily volume I did before cycling, the volume is at least 5x less. At least I don't make any mess on the toilet anymore!
Old 06-27-22, 04:38 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
I last time I gave a stool sample for a medical test, I still remember the weight and the volume associated with the weight. Simply extrapolate according to the volume by visual inspection. It's not a lot.

Compared to the daily volume I did before cycling, the volume is at least 5x less. At least I don't make any mess on the toilet anymore!
That is probably the only reasonable explanation of how you can tell.

Did you change your diet? I poop the same amount as I did before cycling as much as I do now.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 06-27-22, 05:00 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
For me that's situation normal. When I put in big/hard days on the bike I don't have much volume the follow day. When I ran marathons and ultra marathons, that would last for up to three days. I always attributed it to less blood being in the intestines because of demand elsewhere during training or the event. I have absolutely no idea is that's true, but it's happened often enough that I don't worry about it or try to find the true cause.

Last edited by nomadmax; 06-27-22 at 05:03 AM.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 06-27-22, 07:46 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Diet's the same. But daily calories can vary a lot. On the day of big ride and recovery the day after, I eat a lot more compared to regular training days. But the stool volume and consistency remains roughly the same.

I've been searching the internet and can't seem to find any relevant articles. They do mention average daily weight of stool production of a healthy person is 500 grams. I think that's a lot more than I'm making per day.
Old 06-27-22, 08:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Volume and, since most physiological items are about the density of water, weight or mass of poop likely depend on two factors. First is how much you drink during and shortly after exercise. When I head out for a century, I often forget to drink enough; but when I'm on tour, after a day or two I'm pouring water down my gullet and though a lot comes out as sweat, stool size recovers.

The second factor is fiber in your diet. Increasing your intake of granola, fruit, or adding a half dozen prunes daily, coupled with adequate fluid, should increase your stool volume within a few days.
Old 06-27-22, 06:44 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Volume and, since most physiological items are about the density of water, weight or mass of poop likely depend on two factors. First is how much you drink during and shortly after exercise. When I head out for a century, I often forget to drink enough; but when I'm on tour, after a day or two I'm pouring water down my gullet and though a lot comes out as sweat, stool size recovers.

The second factor is fiber in your diet. Increasing your intake of granola, fruit, or adding a half dozen prunes daily, coupled with adequate fluid, should increase your stool volume within a few days.
I do everything you said there. Hydration and fiber. It's been going for a month now, at the same time I started doing structured training. I'm pretty sure I'm not over-training. I have two rest days per week that is total rest, no cycling, no exercise on Sunday and Thursday, 4 days of indoor training, 1 hr per day, and >3hr outdoor ride on Saturday, followed by a rest day on Sunday. No sore legs and I get at least 8 hrs of sleep per day.
Old 06-28-22, 10:34 AM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
I do everything you said there. Hydration and fiber. It's been going for a month now, at the same time I started doing structured training. I'm pretty sure I'm not over-training. I have two rest days per week that is total rest, no cycling, no exercise on Sunday and Thursday, 4 days of indoor training, 1 hr per day, and >3hr outdoor ride on Saturday, followed by a rest day on Sunday. No sore legs and I get at least 8 hrs of sleep per day.
I defer to the training and poop experts, but I've learned that one can train hard but not feel overtrained from a legs standpoint, yet still have the body react in various adverse ways. The type of structured training you describe might not be hard for Peter Sagan, but if this combination of intensity and volume is new to you, particularly over this amount of time, then your body could indeed be stressed. Lack of blood flow to the digestive system seems like as good a culprit as anything. You also mentioned that you've been doing this structured training for at least a month. I'm not sure how old you are, but when I hit my late-40s, I found that putting in a recovery week every third week during structured training blocks really helped settle my whole body down and kept me functioning at a high level. Two rest days a week is often not enough if you're going hard the other days. Also, after three, 3-week sets, I try to take an entire week off. Again, I find that things normalize during that off week. Good luck.
Old 06-28-22, 11:27 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Are you the guy with the really bizarre diet?
Old 06-28-22, 08:38 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by goose70
I defer to the training and poop experts, but I've learned that one can train hard but not feel overtrained from a legs standpoint, yet still have the body react in various adverse ways. The type of structured training you describe might not be hard for Peter Sagan, but if this combination of intensity and volume is new to you, particularly over this amount of time, then your body could indeed be stressed. Lack of blood flow to the digestive system seems like as good a culprit as anything. You also mentioned that you've been doing this structured training for at least a month. I'm not sure how old you are, but when I hit my late-40s, I found that putting in a recovery week every third week during structured training blocks really helped settle my whole body down and kept me functioning at a high level. Two rest days a week is often not enough if you're going hard the other days. Also, after three, 3-week sets, I try to take an entire week off. Again, I find that things normalize during that off week. Good luck.
I'm in my early forties. If I do more than 3 days straight no exercise, I start to feel effects of "de-training" and feel weaker the next time I hit the saddle. The two rest / recovery days every Sunday and Thursday suits me perfectly.

My 1 hr training schedule per day is split into multiple sessions with rest periods in between. Stretching first thing in the morning and each session with easy / warm up, and hard intervals. I don't feel pain nor soreness in any part of my body nor fatigue, nausea, at any time of each training day or rest day and my legs feel fresh all the time. Nothing to hinder me doing other duties for the rest of the day like work and chores.

If I'm getting insufficient recovery / rest or pushing myself too hard, my lower back would be the first to complain and I'd feel lethargic for the rest of the day. Those days are well behind me and it's one of the main reasons I took on structured training.
Old 06-28-22, 09:03 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Are you the guy with the really bizarre diet?
Average diet. Veggies, dairy, protein/meat, and carbs, the usual stuff. I snack on rolled oats with full fat milk and brown sugar. Just no coffee/caffeine for more than 1 year and no alcohol more than one month now. The only food supplement I take is vitamin C.

I have a flat belly with small 25-26" waist line (it varies depending on how hard the ride I make). I eat a lot like during and after a long and hard ride so I'm finding it somewhat of a mystery where all that matter or material is going.

Last edited by koala logs; 06-28-22 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-28-22, 09:06 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
^ Clearly, the alcohol was keeping you regular.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-28-22, 11:37 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
^ Clearly, the alcohol was keeping you regular.
I consumed alcohol the most between my 20's and 30's. Social drinking mostly. Looking back, I now hate every mm of it. I had beer on occasions up to my 40's like a few glasses per week . Past 40, I scaled back significantly on alcohol intake and temporarily quitting last month. It's not a permanent quit from alcohol. I plan on enjoying beer again some time in the future, but only in very small amount.
Old 07-01-22, 04:14 AM
Noonievut

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts
I’ve had issues in this region before, and sometimes it’s worse when riding more. We’re all different of course, but inflammation, pelvic floor (tight muscles), nerves/spine (impacting bowels) may or may not be contributing factors. If the only thing your noticing is less poop, fine, but if any other issues begin or worsen than I would investigate further.
Old 07-01-22, 11:35 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by Noonievut
I’ve had issues in this region before, and sometimes it’s worse when riding more. We’re all different of course, but inflammation, pelvic floor (tight muscles), nerves/spine (impacting bowels) may or may not be contributing factors. If the only thing your noticing is less poop, fine, but if any other issues begin or worsen than I would investigate further.
No unusual change in my body weight either. It only seems like my body is making less poop. Just can't figure out where all the matter is going.
Old 07-05-22, 08:43 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
am I the only one having a beavis and butthead moment that your username is “koala logs” and you’re having an issue with the volume of your … er …. Logs?

k thx heading back to third grade now.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-06-22, 01:12 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by mschwett
am I the only one having a beavis and butthead moment that your username is “koala logs” and you’re having an issue with the volume of your … er …. Logs?

Hah, an irony I have completely no idea until you pointed it out!

It's supposed be trees because Koalas live on trees but "logs" sounded more catchy than "trees".
Old 07-06-22, 09:44 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett

For some reason, I thought it was "koala legs" until just now. I guess I assumed he was commenting on his speed.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498