Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C&V road frames with modern STI/Ergo

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C&V road frames with modern STI/Ergo

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-21, 11:17 AM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Forgive me for being out of the loop, but what happened to the old thread?

(Love seeing all of these again, or the new submissions!)
Still alive

https://www.bikeforums.net/early-bri...i-s-ergos.html
Old 07-17-21, 02:02 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I want you all to remain calm, but I consider STI's the most atrocious-looking component ever made. They are an abomination to the eye, and threaten to create acute gastro-intestinal illness each and every time I see them.., especially on vintage bikes. They look like a black fungus, grown from a science fiction comic book.
What makes matters worse is how inefficient they are. My first mechanic (back in early 80's) told me that the most efficient shifting systems are designed with the fewest angles that the cable has to negotiate. Also, the lateral movement of the hand is inefficient and counter-intuitive.
If I were given a bike with STI's, I would go at them and cut them diagonally at the base with a Sawz-All, and video-tape it, just to make a statement.
When I first tried them, I was shocked to see how much play there was in them.., how far the hand has to travel before the shift actually engages. My basic and most stern objection is to the ghastly looks, though. Elegance and style really do mean something.., or at least they should. There is really nothing more than I can say than this:
why bother posting here? Ignoring this thread wouldn't hurt you at all, but you made the choice to be an ******* instead.

Last edited by himespau; 07-17-21 at 09:47 PM.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-17-21, 02:05 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Forgive me for being out of the loop, but what happened to the old thread?

(Love seeing all of these again, or the new submissions!)
For some reason the mods decided to move that thread to the early brothers forum even though the frames predate gritters and the shifters are usually not early gritters. They basically wanted to populate the new forum, so they moved a bunch of threads even though they didn't fit.

Last edited by himespau; 07-17-21 at 09:47 PM.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-17-21, 04:52 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Have I told you guys about my former one-year-only 1983 Trek 970 in the rare 64cm size? Surely I must have...

Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 07-17-21, 05:22 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
How about a 1984 Trek 720 tour bike updated with 700c wheels, Schwalbe marathon tires, and clipless pedals. The pedals have been updated since this picture to Crank Bro candy mountain bike pedals. The saddle was upgraded to a Brooks b17 narrow carved. dang maybe I need to take a new picture. This is my commuter bike now. I love looking at all these pictures.

1984 Trek 720 tour bicycle. NExus 8 speed internal hub and 700c suntour wheels

Last edited by Bolo Grubb; 07-17-21 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-17-21, 07:25 PM
MrBeebs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
I'm sorry. I've waited many years to say this. It needed to be said.., but I am just one opinion among millions, and mine matters no more than yours or anyone else's.
Sure. But what's your goal?

If you're looking to get it off your chest, or open up a discussion, a better approach would be creating your own thread

Otherwise you've effectively just gone to a Beiber forum, and post "Beiber sux, go listen to real music", which really is just wasting everyones time
Likes For MrBeebs:
Old 07-17-21, 11:06 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBeebs
Sure. But what's your goal?

If you're looking to get it off your chest, or open up a discussion, a better approach would be creating your own thread

Otherwise you've effectively just gone to a Beiber forum, and post "Beiber sux, go listen to real music", which really is just wasting everyones time
Let me guess you're a Beiber fan? I did this painting of him a bunch of years back. The axe is actually a real axe, not painted on. He's seen it, he didn't like it. I will say, his Tracy Chapman cover was pretty alright though.
Old 07-17-21, 11:53 PM
MrBeebs

Originally Posted by krakhaus
Let me guess you're a Beiber fan? I did this painting of him a bunch of years back. The axe is actually a real axe, not painted on. He's seen it, he didn't like it. I will say, his Tracy Chapman cover was pretty alright though.
That's cool, I like your painting.

Yeah, I'm neutral about Beiber. There are some songs I like, some I don't, and there's a lot of his behaviour I just don't like, so I'd never be a fan.

But I feel we are getting a bit off topic
Old 07-18-21, 01:41 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Yeah, you guys need to seriously knock it off and get back to the plot. There are PMs for a reason. For everyone else, there's heretical Di2 to discuss:

Last edited by RiddleOfSteel; 07-18-21 at 01:46 AM.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 07-18-21, 01:57 AM
MrBeebs

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Yeah, you guys need to seriously knock it off and get back to the plot. There are PMs for a reason. For everyone else, there's heretical Di2 to discuss:
I'm very fascinated by this. I bought a 7970 Di2 kit 2nd hand off eBay, and gave it to my father as a gift to upgrade one of his bikes.
Unfortunately he didn't have the appropriate design on his bike to install it, and he didn't want to drill through carbon.

Do you have a build log somewhere? Would you recommend it? Have to drill much?
I'm contemplating converting my Miyata 312 to it for fun is all
Old 07-18-21, 09:56 AM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts

You sir, have some very nice bikes. 👌
Old 07-18-21, 10:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts

This land shark has always always a killer looking bike. The paint is obviously what sets it off, but the geometry and seat stay attachment style help a lot.
Old 07-18-21, 10:08 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

I'm sorry. I've waited many years to say this. It needed to be said.., but I am just one opinion among millions, and mine matters no more than yours or anyone else's.
The c&v continuum is wide ranging. Not everything must be embraced by all.
If you dislike something, then start a thread about it. Your rant would be thread #489 about how shifting from the hoods is ugly/less efficient/unpure/blahblahblah. Point being, it's hardly a new thought and it's well shared by others.
You don't need to go piss in threads about something you dont like.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-18-21, 11:09 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I want you all to remain calm, but I consider STI's the most atrocious-looking component ever made. They are an abomination to the eye, and threaten to create acute gastro-intestinal illness each and every time I see them.., especially on vintage bikes. They look like a black fungus, grown from a science fiction comic book.
What makes matters worse is how inefficient they are. My first mechanic (back in early 80's) told me that the most efficient shifting systems are designed with the fewest angles that the cable has to negotiate. Also, the lateral movement of the hand is inefficient and counter-intuitive.
If I were given a bike with STI's, I would go at them and cut them diagonally at the base with a Sawz-All, and video-tape it, just to make a statement.
When I first tried them, I was shocked to see how much play there was in them.., how far the hand has to travel before the shift actually engages. My basic and most stern objection is to the ghastly looks, though. Elegance and style really do mean something.., or at least they should. There is really nothing more than I can say than this:
- You must feel very I'll each time your ride your bike, given how many bikes with shifting from the hoods exist in the world due to the last 30 years of manufacturing.

- They aren't inefficient. The extra cable bends don't make for inefficient riding. And the ability to shift out of the saddle actually is more efficient.

- Your claim that lateral hand movement is both inefficient and counter-intuitive is just baseless. Me pushing my fingers inward is natural and quite easy.

by all means- dislike them due to preferred appearance, but your other reasoning is pretty absurd and has shown to not apply to most anyone.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-18-21, 12:19 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by Schlafen
You sir, have some very nice bikes. 👌
Thank you! I ended up selling it (as a frameset) again last year. It needed a new paint job as the old was crumbling and flaking off. There was also a good bit of under-the-pain corrosion, which, if it was anything like my Medici, is a little concerning, especially on a 2875g frameset (including the headset), which is incredibly light.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This land shark has always always a killer looking bike. The paint is obviously what sets it off, but the geometry and seat stay attachment style help a lot.
Thank you! It really has great proportions, and certainly for a 66cm bike, which is difficult to do. Mr. Slawta did very well with this.

Originally Posted by MrBeebs
I'm very fascinated by this. I bought a 7970 Di2 kit 2nd hand off eBay, and gave it to my father as a gift to upgrade one of his bikes.
Unfortunately he didn't have the appropriate design on his bike to install it, and he didn't want to drill through carbon.

Do you have a build log somewhere? Would you recommend it? Have to drill much?
I'm contemplating converting my Miyata 312 to it for fun is all
I really like Di2, and I just ran the wires externally on the frame tubing, just as discretely as possible. Shimano sells (and sold at the time) adhesive wire guides that had a provided channel for the wire (sort of a semi-circle in cross-section), flanked by adhesive strips. They came in various lengths for running on the downtube and then for derailleur routing. Came/come in white and black. I used those for a bit. Obviously it helps to have a white or black bike for the ultimate in stealthy application. For the Land Shark, I used two layers of nice clear Scotch Giftwrap tape, which is clear and thicker than the normal glazed Scotch tape we all know. Extra wire length was carefully wrapped around the base of the seat tube and secured via black electrical tape. The lower, 4-hole junction box was taped to the non-drive-side of the downtube right by the BB. Di2 battery, as you can see, was mounted aft of the bottle cage via a Shimano-provided bayonet. Clear tape for the RD wire, along the lower edge of the chain stay (just like the wire was run on the underside of the downtube--along its centerline). From the shifter/bar/stem area junction box (zip-tied to the far side of the stem), its wire down to the battery was run (and coiled) along the front brake cable before jumping to the frame.

Basically, it's a lot of planning, and coordination to obtain that really good drive-side view. Ultegra 6770, introduced after your Dura-Ace 7970, was the first implementation of the "eTubes" architecture and interface. 7970 is only compatible with itself, vs. 6770 is compatible with anything newer (programming will need to happen for some things). I sold my Ultegra Di2 but want it back some day. Prices for everything are nuts right now, so it's cables for all of us for a while, unless we find good deals on 6870 Ultegra simply because it's "a little old". Feel free to convert whatever bike to Di2 you want. For me, though, paint color and how good/deserving a frame is, have the initial say in whether I entertain Di2 or any top-end components. There are videos and instructions on how to tune (GCN has one with Si and that's super straightforward and easy to understand), and it's all on the bike, just like Campagnolo's EPS (no idea about SRAM as it's $$$$$ and I've never run it, even if it's the most C&V friendly).
Old 07-18-21, 12:21 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
I'll admit that I was skeptical at first about the aesthetics and performance of STI, but that was mostly because I was so used to friction shifting, usually with bar ends. First time I tried STI was on a rental bike outside of Las Vegas. Did a ride to Red Rocks with a friend, and while it took me a few blocks to figure out the system, I otherwise had no complaints. Still, I didn't like the look of cables coming out of the hoods and toward the center line of the cockpit. Enter Campy Ergo: My first systems were experiments in Shimergo back when various UK online retailers were blowing out 10-speed Campy Veloce ergo brifters for about $100 shipped with Campy cable sets. I paired those with various 8-speed Shimano drivetrains and was quickly hooked (my only complaint, as a dedicated hoods grabber, was that the thumb paddle was right where I would naturally rest my thumb, but I adapted). I also have a Campy 11 and Shimano 9 system in use; shifts like buttah. I also realized around that time that I really preferred index shifting to friction, whether with bar-ends, downtube, or brifters. That confirming click and accurate gear change provide positive feedback, and I have such systems in use from 7-speed to 11 x 2 to 12 x 1. And I was very glad that Shimano dropped those ugly cable-out-from-the-hoods design and went to under-hood cable routing a la Campagnolo.

Last edited by nlerner; 07-18-21 at 12:32 PM.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 07-18-21, 12:31 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Basically, it's a lot of planning, and coordination to obtain that really good drive-side view. Ultegra 6770, introduced after your Dura-Ace 7970, was the first implementation of the "eTubes" architecture and interface. 7970 is only compatible with itself, vs. 6770 is compatible with anything newer (programming will need to happen for some things). I sold my Ultegra Di2 but want it back some day. Prices for everything are nuts right now, so it's cables for all of us for a while, unless we find good deals on 6870 Ultegra simply because it's "a little old". Feel free to convert whatever bike to Di2 you want. For me, though, paint color and how good/deserving a frame is, have the initial say in whether I entertain Di2 or any top-end components. There are videos and instructions on how to tune (GCN has one with Si and that's super straightforward and easy to understand), and it's all on the bike, just like Campagnolo's EPS (no idea about SRAM as it's $$$$$ and I've never run it, even if it's the most C&V friendly).
I'm definitely curious about SRAM Rival AXS, which allows some degree of mix and match of components, and is inclined toward wide-range gearing for gravel. Looks like entry price is around $600 for shifters and mechs.
Old 07-18-21, 12:40 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by nlerner
I'm definitely curious about SRAM Rival AXS, which allows some degree of mix and match of components, and is inclined toward wide-range gearing for gravel. Looks like entry price is around $600 for shifters and mechs.
There's a lot of good in it for sure. SRAM has gone all-in (or nearly so) on disc with these new eTap AXS groups. I'm not going to post solid research here, but if one hunts, it looks like Force, among maybe others, has a rim brake + eTap AXS setup available. IIRC Sram also had a hydraulic rim brake they offered on one of their Red groupsets. I could do that, as sort of silly as it sounds.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 07-18-21, 03:42 PM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Miss this one

Plundered this one for shifters, rear derailleur and wheels. It will be back soon in a different guise.

The commmmmuter

Without modern drivetrains I wouldn't touch vintage bikes.
Likes For Schlafen:
Old 07-18-21, 04:34 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3349 Post(s)
Liked 3,610 Times in 1,239 Posts
1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 with 7900 Dura-Ace shifters and various other Dura-Ace bits.
Which very much ended up inspiring this build:

Old 07-18-21, 05:17 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Maybe during Cino weekend, those of us who can't attend should have a C&V brifter only ride. Clipless pedals, dual pivot brakes, heresy, etc.
Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 09-05-21, 08:36 AM
th0m

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Went a little overboard with this bike. I bought it just at the start of the pandemic with a plan to just give it a good clean and some lube (had the original 8-speed Record groupset on it) but I ended up replacing every single component apart from the frame and fork.

Old 09-06-21, 09:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by th0m
Went a little overboard with this bike. I bought it just at the start of the pandemic with a plan to just give it a good clean and some lube (had the original 8-speed Record groupset on it) but I ended up replacing every single component apart from the frame and fork.
Fantastic looking finished product! Really nice.
Old 09-06-21, 09:17 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
Maybe during Cino weekend, those of us who can't attend should have a C&V brifter only ride. Clipless pedals, dual pivot brakes, heresy, etc.
I love this idea. Where? What would you call it? How about Bizarro Chino. Maybe Anti-Chino. I am sure some good prize ideas would arise.
Old 09-07-21, 05:59 AM
NDL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 13 Posts
so much nice builds there, thanks to whoever refer me to this thread, definitly borrowing some ideas from here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.