Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.4

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.4

Old 11-21-21, 01:28 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Sounds very pleasant. Much lip service is paid to “taking it easy” this time of year and yesterday we actually dialed it back for a rider recovering from a disc herniation, but that’s a rare thing. The other inhibitor of chitchat is the amount of traffic on our narrow roads and the need to ride in a single paceline so much of the time.
We are in the semi-boondocks so most of the ride is double paceline. Come visit anytime.
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-21-21, 01:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Lots of people limping around town after the Philly marathon.
Old 11-21-21, 01:46 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Lots of people limping around town after the Philly marathon.
Are the Iggles gonna limp or fly??
Old 11-21-21, 02:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Gravel. 36mm on great wheels. Perfect tread for that surface, but probably a bit wide for my weight. Left the fenders on, but can’t blame them.
Huh. Well, I suppose. The loses from the surface and tires is going to come straight off the top, so watts will be more important than w/kg. If the riders are bigger than you and y'all hang together on the hilly stuff, I guess it would make sense that this would play against you more than them.
Old 11-21-21, 02:23 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,855 Times in 1,674 Posts
Take note @Velo Vol, this is how you do it. Go Owls!
Old 11-21-21, 02:24 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Originally Posted by datlas
This was an easy one.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 11-21-21, 02:45 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
We got our tandem out for a short ride today. The small statue is part of a small memorial in our ex-hometown of Washington, IL that was devastated by a tornado in 2013. The story is a staple on the Weather Channel every year during tornado season.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 11-21-21, 02:50 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8189 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
Sounds very pleasant. Much lip service is paid to “taking it easy” this time of year and yesterday we actually dialed it back for a rider recovering from a disc herniation, but that’s a rare thing. The other inhibitor of chitchat is the amount of traffic on our narrow roads and the need to ride in a single paceline so much of the time.
I've never been able to climb with the fast climbers so I asked my friend to meet up and ride with me until the others caught up. We got all of the longer climbs done before they appeared. We had around 4200 feet in 40 ish miles and most of it on quiet roads. One stretch is closed to cars so it's perfect for chatting.

There is a moto in the pic but it's an old pic. No motos yesterday.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-21-21, 02:52 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Huh. Well, I suppose. The loses from the surface and tires is going to come straight off the top, so watts will be more important than w/kg. If the riders are bigger than you and y'all hang together on the hilly stuff, I guess it would make sense that this would play against you more than them.
My thoughts exactly, plus old age and bad genes.
Old 11-21-21, 03:00 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8189 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts
There is a dangerous descent after the bigger climbs are done. It has some 16% and decreasing radius turns. Lots of crashes happen here so I always take it slow. Yesterday a group of about 6 riders passed us and they were really letting it all hang out. I was worried for them but they all made it.
Old 11-21-21, 03:15 PM
WhyFi

It's about time for me to retire my chains - I've been waxing and hot-swapping the two chains for the last couple of years, but they've both recently reached the wear point. I already had one new chain, but wanted a second to continue the waxing/swapping.

Only one shop in town was showing Shimano 11sp chains in stock for the last 6 months or so, though. They're a little ways away from me, but I finally made the trip today. I got there, asked the guys in the wrenchin' department and, or course, they said that they didn't have any but that they'd had some on order for the last 8 months. I told them that their website showed that they had stock, but that I kind of figured that it had to be wrong. That prompted them to check their computer and, lo and behold, they were showing something like 15 HG-601 chains in stock. This puzzled them, so one guy went lookin' while I gawked at the bikes. He came back a couple minutes later, clearly surprised and with a chain in-hand

So yeah, I figure that the only reason that they had them was because they didn't know that they had them.

I really should have bought a half dozen and flipped 'em.
Old 11-21-21, 03:18 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

^^ I am a hoarder and have a half dozen Ultegra chains. But 10 speed, so not such a hot commodity.
Old 11-21-21, 03:30 PM
WhyFi

^^ I am a hoarder and have a half dozen Ultegra chains. But 10 speed, so not such a hot commodity.
Yeah, 11sp Shimano are hard to come by - there's really only DA-level at retail and some "opportunists" price-gauging 105-level (the HG-601 that I bought). I really did consider buying three chains to have back-ups, but I'm hoping that the new pair will last another ~2 years/12k miles and see me through the supply issues.
Old 11-21-21, 03:34 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked 6,267 Times in 3,455 Posts
I have one Ultegra and one 105 chain, and don’t notice a difference. Do you?
Old 11-21-21, 03:35 PM
Mojo31
-------

Good MN win today.
Old 11-21-21, 03:37 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I have one Ultegra and one 105 chain, and don’t notice a difference. Do you?
IIRC, they share the same construction, but the Ultegra has additional SilTec (sp?) coating. Since I'm completely stripping them anyway, I don't know that it makes a difference.
Old 11-21-21, 03:38 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Making Chilli with this in honor of Dr. @datlas.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 11-21-21, 03:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
First home win of the season. Saints got Slayed.
Old 11-21-21, 03:40 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Good MN win today.
They tried to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but came up short this time.

Actually, I'm glad to see that they're finally playing more aggressively, but I'm not convinced that Zimmer has changed his stripes and won't try to run out the clock with a 7-point lead, early in the 3rd quarter, next week.
Old 11-21-21, 03:44 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Now that winter is here, I have my annual frustration of cold fingers. Before I post in “Winter Cycling,” let’s see what the Addiction brain trust says.

My quest is for gloves that will keep my fingers warm when temps go well below freezing and remain so for the whole ride (say 3-4 hours). I have tried several cold weather gloves, including last year’s purchase of pricey Castelli Estremo gloves. They are fine for temps above freezing. They are ok for a ride that starts a few degrees below freezing (say 25+) if the temps will rise to above freezing within an hour or so. However, every glove I have tried for hours in subfreezing temps leaves me with painful and/or numb fingers within an hour into the ride.

I have tried adding glove liners to the gloves, which at these temps sadly don’t do much. I have tried those chemical hand warmers, which keep my hands warm (not a problem anyway) but fingers are still too cold/numb/painful.

So far the only solution is to use mittens with thin glove liners (and chemical warner if extreme cold). This works, but the dexterity for shifting and braking are compromised more than I like.

I know about pogies, which I expect do work, but the compromise is you are limited to one hand position (hoods).

I have NOT tried lobster claw gloves, but am considering. Ditto electric “heated gloves.”

tl;dr Any ideas on how to best keep fingers warm on subfreezing rides while maintaining digital dexterity??

Last edited by datlas; 11-21-21 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-21-21, 04:00 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by WhyFi
IIRC, they share the same construction, but the Ultegra has additional SilTec (sp?) coating. Since I'm completely stripping them anyway, I don't know that it makes a difference.
I believe the SilTec is a hard coating, so don’t think it can be stripped off.

I strip mine of lubes and hot wax also.
Old 11-21-21, 04:03 PM
Mojo31
-------

Now that winter is here, I have my annual frustration of cold fingers. Before I post in “Winter Cycling,” let’s see what the Addiction brain trust says.

My quest is for gloves that will keep my fingers warm when temps go well below freezing and remain so for the whole ride (say 3-4 hours). I have tried several cold weather gloves, including last year’s purchase of pricey Castelli Estremo gloves. They are fine for temps above freezing. They are ok for a ride that starts a few degrees below freezing (say 25+) if the temps will rise to above freezing within an hour or so. However, every glove I have tried for hours in subfreezing temps leaves me with painful and/or numb fingers within an hour into the ride.

I have tried adding glove liners to the gloves, which at these temps sadly don’t do much. I have tried those chemical hand warmers, which keep my hands warm (not a problem anyway) but fingers are still too cold/numb/painful.

So far the only solution is to use mittens with thin glove liners (and chemical warner if extreme cold). This works, but the dexterity for shifting and braking are compromised more than I like.

I know about pogies, which I expect do work, but the compromise is you are limited to one hand position (hoods).

I have NOT tried lobster claw gloves, but am considering.

tl;dr Any ideas on how to best keep fingers warm on subfreezing rides while maintaining digital dexterity??
Zwift. That’s all I got.
Old 11-21-21, 04:29 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,634 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS

Like this?
Note: picture taken before I became a former cyclist.
I believe so. Of course, it was a beat down ride, so I was sort of crossed-eyed when going by, but it was that color, if not that exact jacket type.
Old 11-21-21, 04:33 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts

I have NOT tried lobster claw gloves, but am considering. Ditto electric “heated gloves.”

I thought you were happy with over-mitts.

This is my most difficult winter cycling issue and I have a few thoughts, but they’re not that helpful. First, I am sure heat losses are most significant from the palmar side of the hand and digits, both because of its greater skin vascularity and because it’s in contact with the bars, which seem to conduct heat, even when taped with foam tape. However, most winter gloves are most heavily insulated on the dorsum. I have two pairs of lobster gloves, one of which has wonderful high loft stuff on the back and thin palms for better control and the other set are thinner on the back and thicker over the palm. The second pair are much warmer, but scare me when descending in the drops.

I tried a pair of Castelli Estremo gloves recently in a warm bike shop. They seemed very well insulated and had nice tacky silicone stuff on the fingers. The are 99 bucks

I have pogies and they work, but I hate them for drop bars for the reason you cite. They were fantastic when I was riding a flat bar bike to work.

I have electric gloves. Of course the heating elements are on the back, greatly reducing their effectiveness, IMO. I imagine they’d get destroyed if they were on the palm. They work okay, but I don’t use them on the bike because they were very expensive and I don’t want to destroy them.

I have tried chemical warmers on my feet, but not my hands.

Don’t dismiss vapor barriers. I think a pair of latex or nitrile gloves on a long ride would keep your gloves from getting sweat-soaked and losing effectiveness, not to mention making them much easier to put back on after stops.
Old 11-21-21, 04:42 PM
Mojo31
-------

Sounds like a good reason for crabon bars. Much less thermal conductivity than aluminum.
Likes For Mojo31:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.