Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

When you Updated Your Commute Clothes...

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

When you Updated Your Commute Clothes...

Old 02-09-23, 07:15 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
The long sleeve hi-viz T arrived and I've worn it twice. It is exactly the same weight and material as the dark long-sleeve shirt it replaces. On yesterday's ride home it was warm enough that I wore my long pants, wicking short T, new long T and new wind breaker. It felt the same as the previous set-up. The previous ride I had substituted a long-sleeve turtleneck for the Magic Liz shirt and it was not quite warm enough in the morning and just a little too warm in the afternoon.

Sunday, I rode a slightly longer 8-mile ride to brunch in street clothes, which I almost never do. Cotton T, Cotton sweatshirt, jeans and a light cotton jacket. It was okay on the way there when it was about 48F. On the way home it was 62F and I rode in just jeans and a cotton T.

I took it easy so as not to get sweaty, but when I got home I was a little moist and uncomfortable. I guess I just run hot. I spent my childhood riding around in jeans and a cotton t-shirt. I definitely prefer poly, or poly-blend active-wear now, and shorts whenever possible.
Old 02-12-23, 02:28 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
Okay, the white long sleeve polo replacement for Liz Claiborne arrived Thursday. It is remarkably similar to the 'magic' shirt it replaces. It was comfortable over a wide range of temps just like the original shirt.

So after all my worrying, the new shell, t-shirt and polo were all similar to the items they replaced. Considerinng I bought them off the web I was lucky that all three were so close in weight and warmth.

I know this wasn't the most exciting post, but I'm sure it was a relatable one.
Old 02-14-23, 08:20 AM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
In cool/cold weather, I use the three-layer system: base, insulator, shell. I made a table of which piece of clothing to wear, in which temperature range. This is in the very changeable Great Lakes region. I’ve got that table dialed in, so I don’t get too cold or too sweaty. (Chilly for the first mile or so means you’ve got the insulator right.)

I’m retired now, but I still use the table for workouts and running errands. Commuting was my opportunity for exercise, and I worked in a “business casual” environment, so I needed to change upon arrival. I tried keeping a week’s worth of work clothing at work, but it was simpler to bring the work clothing with me daily. I rode in temps down to 15F or -10C. Below freezing, I use a dedicated winter bike with hub gears and studded tires.
Likes For canalligators: