Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Using 35 degree stem on CF steering tube.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-23, 02:58 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts

I have seen a Dimensions Stem in a 110 mm-35 degree angle and they specifically say that it is not for a full Carbon Fiber Steering Tube. I have found a few others but not many around in that length and angle. Is there something with a higher rise angle that CF steering tubes cannot take? I cannot find anything as such so wonder of anyone else is running one on their road bike and if that is generally safe.

I built a bike up from a 56cm frame I found great used Habanero Ti. I ride a Habanero now in a 58 so not much difference but with tweaking the stem up I pretty much can get them to same riding position. Right now I have a short 80mm with about a 30 degree rise. I road it 45 miles today no issues but another stem would stretch me out better and a bit higher. I am not sure how much is will raise but anything is ok. Any place to calculate the on the internet.
Old 03-27-23, 03:48 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Maybe a carbon stem would work on a carbon steerer tube:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174933700024

The problem is no major manufacturer seems to make them (carbon high rise stem), it's all no-name stuff on ebay and aliexpress. Not sure I'd trust them for a critical component like a stem.
Old 03-27-23, 04:34 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I don't know why Dimension is issuing that warning. As far as angle goes I don't see any problem as long as you're not clamping it on a steerer tube that spaced is well above the headset. Plenty of Gorilla strength riders could put massive leverage on any near horizontal stem so I'm guessing there is something in their clamp design not safe on CF steerers. Search out another reputable brand. Stem calculator.........Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net

Last edited by Crankycrank; 03-27-23 at 04:38 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-27-23, 04:48 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
It is all about leverage. The higher the handlebar is above the top of the steer tube the more leverage there is while the rider puts out maximum effort. Those recommendations may well be conservative, but there is a reason for them
Old 03-27-23, 04:59 PM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
It is all about leverage. The higher the handlebar is above the top of the steer tube the more leverage there is while the rider puts out maximum effort. Those recommendations may well be conservative, but there is a reason for them
That may be their reasoning but a strong sprinter with a 130mm/-7 degree stem will be putting out way more leverage than the average cyclist with a 110mm/35 deg setup.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-27-23, 05:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3662 Post(s)
Liked 5,409 Times in 2,748 Posts
Something like the Surly Truck Stop bar would give you 30mm of rise w/o having to use a sketchy stem. Truck Stop
Old 03-27-23, 05:02 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
That may be their reasoning but a strong sprinter with a 130mm/-7 degree stem will be putting out way more leverage than the average cyclist with a 110mm/35 deg setup.
You are correct, but sprinters at that level usually don't keep their bikes all that long. I have a friend whose nickname is "2 HP" He doesn't usually keep any bike more than a year or two

Last edited by alcjphil; 03-27-23 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-01-23, 08:26 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I run a 120mm 40 degree stem on my road bike with a carbon steerer. The bike has over 16K miles on it with this build. I haven't died a fiery death yet. It's a Bontrager stem. I wouldn't trust an off-brand though.

I believe as long as you adhere to the specified maximum number of spacers under the stem that the fork manufacture recommends, you will be fine. This is usually around 30-40mm. Be sure to use at least one spacer above the stem as well.

Last edited by Lombard; 04-01-23 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-01-23, 07:32 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Boy, I'd ask the fork manufacturer, not the stem manufacturer. Wonder what they say?
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-02-23, 05:47 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by Camilo
Boy, I'd ask the fork manufacturer, not the stem manufacturer. Wonder what they say?
Good point.
Old 04-02-23, 01:31 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
I have an aluminum 35 degree stem, 100mm length, mounted on a Lemond Tourmalet with a Profile 1 inch carbon steer tube. The handle bar is a Ritchey Beacon. I am a pretty light rider, 150-55 lbs., and I do not put a whole lot of torque on the set up. I have no qualms riding it.
Old 04-06-23, 09:13 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Dimension makes very nice components for price-point applications, not high performance.Whenever a manufacturer says don't do something, I take their word for it. Maybe it's the clamping design, maybe its the machining of the ID, maybe it's the gooseneck angle, or maybe they just don't want the liability. I'm having difficulty locating a 35-degree stem that is rated for carbon. Bontrager's alloy Elite stem is rated for carbon and available in 17 degrees.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 04-06-23, 09:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
The bike's a ti Habanero. Ti bikes do just fine with steel forks. Steel forks have steel steerers. Steel steerers care little about stem details.

I know this isn't going to change any minds re: their love of CF forks on ti bikes. I had the bike I rode today built with a steel fork 15 years ago simply because I did one quick ride on a steel forked Merlin ~1990 and thought "this is it!" as I was riding. (That and I've had a non-steel fork fail. So I stick to good old steel.) I spent a lot of the year waiting for that ti bike wondering if I was wrong sticking to steel. First ride cured that thought. Three years later I had a second ti bike made, again with a steel fork. 40k miles on the two and I would change anything about the forks.

My theory on why steel forks go so well with ti bikes - we all know that ti has "the ride". And the engineer types know that ti has half the modulus of elasticity of steel, ie it is twice as flexible for the same shape and size. Also, everywhere on the bike diamond, the tubes are supported at both ends. That support stiffens them a lot. But forks are cantilevers. Cantilevers bend far more. Well that twice as stiff steel there seems to make a sweet match for the rest of ti bike, keeping the ti feel but being stiff enough for the job.
Old 04-07-23, 05:13 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Dimension makes very nice components for price-point applications, not high performance.Whenever a manufacturer says don't do something, I take their word for it. Maybe it's the clamping design, maybe its the machining of the ID, maybe it's the gooseneck angle, or maybe they just don't want the liability. I'm having difficulty locating a 35-degree stem that is rated for carbon. Bontrager's alloy Elite stem is rated for carbon and available in 17 degrees.
Most likely they have a law department who weighs liability risks when they decide on these guidelines. They know that somewhere there will be some 300 lb rider who will be using their product who might have a catastrophic event and then try to sue.
Old 04-07-23, 04:24 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Most likely they have a law department who weighs liability risks when they decide on these guidelines. They know that somewhere there will be some 300 lb rider who will be using their product who might have a catastrophic event and then try to sue.
Just the same, I'll pass on testing your theory.
Likes For oldbobcat: