Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Anyone here done from Seattle to Portland from out of town?

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-22, 10:53 AM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts

Thinking about doing STP this year and trying to figure out the logistics without driving a car up to Seattle is daunting. (I live in Eugene). I don’t want to drive to Seattle, bike to Portland, get shuttles BACK to Seattle to drive back through Portland. How do other people do this?

The best alternative I can figure out is get Amtrak/ bus to Seattle. Get. Hotel room somewhere… and then bike to the bike ride? But if I bring a bag for the SAG wagon how do I get it from the hotel to the ride? I feel like I am missing something obvious.
Old 04-13-22, 11:58 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Never done it from out of town, but the logistics should be easy:

1. Amtrak to Seattle
2. Push your bike over to the International District Light Rail Station and light rail to the UW. You can bring you bike onto light rail.
3. Plenty of hotels all around the UW. Walk/ride to one of them. I'm sure they will have a place to store your bike or let you bring it into your room.
4. As far as your stuff - I'd put it all into a backpack and ride with it to the hotel/start line.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-22, 07:27 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Amtrak Cascades is the best option, however, The Cascades trains only take ten bikes. Book now, but chances are those bike spots are taken already. Amtrak Coast Starlight is probably doable, but you'll need to box your bike and check it as baggage. The Starlight leaves Eugene at 11:45, or so depending on it's arrival northbound. You'll need to book the Amtrak from Portland back to Eugene, or ride back. STP use to have a truck service for bikes from Portland to UW, not sure they still do. It's all a crowded pain in the ass!
Likes For Shifty:
Old 06-11-22, 02:21 AM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 112 Posts
I just got the Amtrak cancelled for back trip from PDX to SEA (I live in Seattle area) that was 3 PM on Sunday.
I got a spot for myself on the noon train, but not for the bike. From the customer service, you can buy a bike box for 15 bucks and remove pedals and twist the handlebars and check in as luggage for another 20 bucks.
Not sure if that, but will find out ....
Old 01-18-23, 03:32 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Starkmojo,

My experience, a​​​​​​m from Las Vegas, have done the ride 5 times, last 2 times I was able to book a seat on the Portland bicycle club bus to seattle. Bicycle went in a truck, and I stayed in the Dorm Room @ UW. 4 times I did 2 day ride, but once completed a very long 1 day ride, arrived after finish line closed, certainly did not enjoy that ride. I stayed at Vader Church gym on 2 day ride, they were great I spoke to them and they always had no added sugar Ice Cream for me when I arrived, located @ the 130-133 mile point was different image each time. Met family in Vader they took the sleeping gear back home to Portland.

For riders in the Portland area, the Portland Bicycling Club arranges buses and trucks to deliver you & bike to Seattle on Friday, the day before the ride. Was expensive, but comfortable to Seattle in a deluxe bus both times and bike was wrapped well each time as I watched bicycle get loaded and stored on truck.
https://cascade.org/rides-and-events...laska-airlines

I would drive to a friends home in Portland, then take bus to UW, stay in Dorm, have your overnight kit delivered to midway destination at start line if you are doing 2 day ride. Believe there was a delivery service pick up that would take your things to finish line for you. I did not see that service listed, but maybe it will be listed when lodging is formally listed on ride web page in February.

JR