Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Crazy Idea??

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Crazy Idea??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-22, 06:38 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Crazy Idea??

My wife started riding her mixte last week. This is the 2nd. frame I built. I have been considering one for myself as I like the look! So had a wild thought. To see if I really like one what if I located a frame removed the TT and brazed in the twin laterals? I know this would be a hack but it would give me an idea.
Thoughts?
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 07-05-22, 07:30 AM
duanedr 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Sounds like a fun project! a few things come to mind - none should stop this project. Post progress pics. there will be several little problems to solve - like rear brake cable routing but nothing insurmountable.

1 - Stripping and then brazing/welding to something that has been painted and has who-knows-what inside the tubes isn't very fun. Wear a mask.
2 - The bars might be a bit low if you're using swept back bars
3 - Making a race bike into an upright bike doesn't result in great handling so I would try to start with an upright-type bike. This helps with #2 as well.
Likes For duanedr:
Old 07-05-22, 05:02 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Tom, what kind of handlebars were you thinking of using on this project? Road handlebars (drop bars) require a different geometry than if you are using upright bars (like a North Road model). A Mixte lends itself to around town casual riding. Upright bars and a step though frame make getting around in town easier.

I think it was on the Classic Rendezvous list that someone observed that male French manual laborers after the war liked riding Mixtes because they didn't have to swing their legs over all the stuff they loaded down their bicycles with. The same can be true when you are riding a touring bike. Swinging a leg over a packed bicycle doesn't get any easier as we age.

The problem I see with your possible project is that the frame you modify may not be quite right anyway so you will be putting a lot of effort into something that is less - and maybe a lot less - than optimum. My recommendation is to do it right from the start. Maybe make an around town frame 1st with upright bars? You will always want to use that. I like riding mine for more than just running errands. It is nice at the end of the day to go for a few easy miles sitting upright. It's like going for a walk without having to change into a cycling kit. I'll say it again that a road frame designed for drop bars does not convert well to upright handlebars.
Likes For Doug Fattic: