Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Truck-Cycle Right Hook in Victoria BC

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-22, 02:25 PM
moth54

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The cyclist had lots of time to see the truck and stop. The other cyclists managed not to get run over.

The onus is on all parties. The goal is to be safe by any reasonable necessary means.

The cyclist can't change what the truck driver does. They can only change what they do.

Clearly, relying on the truck driver to do his duty failed miserably.

You know drivers fail to do this regularly. You also have to check for cars.
Yes - I especially like your point that we can only change our own actions, not those of others.
Old 07-07-22, 02:26 PM
moth54

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OdaHumanity
that is terrifying and horrible! My thoughts to his family
The cyclist has suffered injuries but the latest report is that the injuries are not life threatening. I agree the video certainly grabs one's attention - a person never looks so small and vulnerable, as when juxtaposed against a large truck or a semi.
Old 07-07-22, 02:35 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by moth54
Greetings njkayaker. I didn't mean that the separate light wasn't visible in your google street view link (which is great by the way and thanks for posting it) but I at least couldn't make out the light in the video of the accident because of the high angle of the camera. (I can make out the street light in the centre of the road and can see it turn red.)
I was merely pointing out that it was there (I wasn't suggesting you meant it wasn't visible).

Anyway, that sign is there exactly to "prevent" what happened (to avoid conflicts between right-on-red turners and pedestrians and cyclists crossing on an explicit signal fairly far from where vehicles are making the turn).

Though, the sign might be a bit hard to see and not expected.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-07-22 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-07-22, 03:10 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
Anyone familiar with this intersection?

I haven't read all the posts too closely, but after looking at the video, it seems like the fault of the truck driver.

Even if a Right on Red is allowed at this intersection (giving truck driver benefit of doubt), one must come to a full stop, just like at a stop sign, the truck driver clearly did not and it seems like the car in front of the truck also didn't come to a complete stop.

I always look before crossing an intersection, even when I have the green, because most cars just simply don't come to a full stop. However, in this case that doesn't seem to make a difference in faulting the truck 100% for the accident.

Old 07-07-22, 03:24 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by work4bike
Anyone familiar with this intersection?.
Look at the Google Streetview link I posted earlier.

Even if a Right on Red is allowed at this intersection (giving truck driver benefit of doubt), one must come to a full stop, just like at a stop sign, the truck driver clearly did not and it seems like the car in front of the truck also didn't come to a complete stop.
There's a sign that says right turns are prohibited with a red light.

I haven't read all the posts too closely, but after looking at the video, it seems like the fault of the truck driver.
Yes, it's the fault of the truck driver (it appears). But that doesn't really help the cyclist much.

People should be more interested in avoiding incidents than finding fault.

The truck driver being at fault is a crappy "consolation prize" for the cyclist almost being dead.

I always look before crossing an intersection, even when I have the green, because most cars just simply don't come to a full stop.
You are supposed to do this. (No doubt, your mother told you to "look both ways".)

However, in this case that doesn't seem to make a difference in faulting the truck 100% for the accident.
This seems like something the cyclist should easily have had full control in avoiding.
Old 07-08-22, 08:17 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
That's one thing that's so scary to me about the video. As alert, pro-active and cautious as I like to think I am, I still occasionally fail to notice things right in front of me, or coming my way.
Bobby, we all do. It's an inescapable part of the human experience that we will, at times, err.
Old 07-11-22, 02:55 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I always look before crossing an intersection, even when I have the green, because most cars just simply don't come to a full stop. However, in this case that doesn't seem to make a difference in faulting the truck 100% for the accident.
I think this far into the thread we are beyond who is at fault 100%. You don't use that logic, by your own admission you check all intersections even when you have a green signal. So why should the cyclist that got hit take any comfort from the fact that he was 0% at fault?? The takeaway should be that all cyclists need to ride defensively. If you are ever hit it does not matter whose fault it is! Maybe for insurance purposes. I would rather not let it get to that point.
Old 07-12-22, 06:47 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
...So why should the cyclist that got hit take any comfort from the fact that he was 0% at fault?? The takeaway should be that all cyclists need to ride defensively. If you are ever hit it does not matter whose fault it is! Maybe for insurance purposes. I would rather not let it get to that point.
I hope you are not suggesting that it is not the driver's fault at all if a pedestrian or cyclist gets hit all because he should have been defensive.

Regardless, even if a collision was 0% the pedestrian's or cyclist's fault, we know from reading too many stories and articles the driver will given at worse only a fine or a warning without any charges, unless he was DUI or have a suspended licence.
Old 07-12-22, 07:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
A mirror wouldn't have helped much.

"Swivel head".

Most people tend to just look where they are going. They really need to look around (move their head) more.

Presumably, after 30 years, you move your head and look around.
After 30+ years of riding with its crashes, I've broken my collar bone and wrecked my shoulders enough times that swiveling my head is no longer an option. I can barely get the edge of my glasses to 90 degrees sitting in a chair. The mirror is a big asset.

I did hear my best friend's dad tell us 55 years ago that if we ever saw the side of a right turning truck in front of us, that was the end of our life. 15 years ago, I saw it. I'm here because I had an angel sitting in the passenger seat. (Two fellow cyclists lost their lives to right turning trucks in Portland later that year.
Old 07-12-22, 07:10 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
After 30+ years of riding with its crashes, I've broken my collar bone and wrecked my shoulders enough times that swiveling my head is no longer an option. I can barely get the edge of my glasses to 90 degrees sitting in a chair. The mirror is a big asset.
How is a mirror going to help you see something within +/- 45’ (or even +/- 90’) of straight ahead?

There is a small possibility that the rider could have seen the truck in a mirror but it wouldn’t have indicated that the truck was going to cross right. Also, the truck was a fair distance to the left.

I am not saying mirrors aren’t useful. But they aren’t going to let you see every hazard.

Oh, because you can’t do something doesn’t mean other people who can shouldn’t do that something.

I’d guess you have enough experience to compensate for your loss of range of motion and you are looking around (if not exactly “swiveling “) more that you are implying here.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I did hear my best friend's dad tell us 55 years ago that if we ever saw the side of a right turning truck in front of us, that was the end of our life. 15 years ago, I saw it. I'm here because I had an angel sitting in the passenger seat. (Two fellow cyclists lost their lives to right turning trucks in Portland later that year.
In this case, there was a long time available to avoid the collision.

I’m not talking about any other case (especially, not any other cases I don’t have any information about).

A common way people get killed by right-turning trucks is when they filter past the truck on the right. This is very easy to avoid.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-12-22 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-12-22, 07:33 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I hope you are not suggesting that it is not the driver's fault at all if a pedestrian or cyclist gets hit all because he should have been defensive.
???

Read what you are replying to more carefully. He’s not suggesting anything like you are supposing.

I have no idea why some people are so fixated in finding fault.

It appears there was ample opportunity for the cyclist to have been defensive. Being more defensive would have protected him from the mistakes of the truck driver. The cyclist has the option of being more defensive. They don’t have the opportunity to keep the truck driver from making mistakes.
Old 07-12-22, 11:18 PM
Esos1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In this case, it would have looked as if the truck was going straight not knowing it was making a wide right.

DanielG most interesting point. Even if the cyclists and pedestrians perceived the truck to be in violation, they might not have guessed correctly exactly how the truck was in violation. "Hey, that straight-through proceeding truck is blowing the red, what a donkey brain" would be their first thought and not "that truck may be about to violate the no right turn on red rule, we had better watch out!" As it is that cyclist at least reacted fast enough to avoid going under the actual wheels of the truck, or so it seems to this viewer.
I don't know, my first thought would've actually been to think the truck was turning. Like someone mentioned earlier, they probably just missed the yellow and felt entitled. Usually when one car does that kind of thing one or two more are likely to follow.
Old 07-13-22, 09:14 AM
njkayaker

DanielG most interesting point. Even if the cyclists and pedestrians perceived the truck to be in violation, they might not have guessed correctly exactly how the truck was in violation. "Hey, that straight-through proceeding truck is blowing the red, what a donkey brain" would be their first thought and not "that truck may be about to violate the no right turn on red rule, we had better watch out!" As it is that cyclist at least reacted fast enough to avoid going under the actual wheels of the truck, or so it seems to this viewer.
Completely irrelevant. All that you need to know is that there's a big truck crossing your path.
Old 07-13-22, 09:32 AM
work4bike

I think this far into the thread we are beyond who is at fault 100%. You don't use that logic, by your own admission you check all intersections even when you have a green signal. So why should the cyclist that got hit take any comfort from the fact that he was 0% at fault?? The takeaway should be that all cyclists need to ride defensively. If you are ever hit it does not matter whose fault it is! Maybe for insurance purposes. I would rather not let it get to that point.
I was not looking to give anyone comfort. I was simply stating how I saw the accident, period. I don't understand why so many are freaking out about pointing fault -- finding fault is part of the process of learning from others mistakes. As for the takeaway being that all cyclists should ride defensively....I pointed that out. What are we not allowed to point out fault in this forum

I'm sure the driver of the truck is thankful he has you and others to defend him against terrible people, such as myself for pointing out his failure to properly operate his vehicle

Old 07-13-22, 10:21 AM
njkayaker

I was not looking to give anyone comfort. I was simply stating how I saw the accident, period. I don't understand why so many are freaking out about pointing fault -- finding fault is part of the process of learning from others mistakes. As for the takeaway being that all cyclists should ride defensively....I pointed that out. What are we not allowed to point out fault in this forum.
It's a bit confusing but Leisesturm is agreeing with you. (He didn't say you were "looking to give anyone comfort".)

He's also saying that fixating on "finding fault" doesn't help the cyclist much. In this particular case, it appears the truck driver was 100% at fault (I provided evidence for that). But it also appears the cyclist had ample time to stop before colliding with the truck. Why did the cyclist fail to do what you appear to do regularly?

I'm sure the driver of the truck is thankful he has you and others to defend him against terrible people, such as myself for pointing out his failure to properly operate his vehicle
It's fine exploring the issues of fault but it really doesn't help the cyclist much. The cyclist is screwed in any case.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-13-22 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-13-22, 10:53 AM
work4bike

It's a bit confusing but Leisesturm is agreeing with you. (He didn't say you were "looking to give anyone comfort".)

He's also saying that fixating on "finding fault" doesn't help the cyclist much. In this particular case, it appears the truck driver was 100% at fault (I provided evidence for that). But it also appears the cyclist had ample time to stop before colliding with the truck. Why did the cyclist fail to do what you appear to do regularly?

No, he was complaining about me finding fault. I never "fixated" on finding fault, that was just part of my post.

The "comfort" part was concerning this quote from his post: "So why should the cyclist that got hit take any comfort from the fact that he was 0% at fault??"
I'm not looking to give out comfort.

As for the cyclist having ample time to stop before the collision, I totally agree and I said as much in my first post. So I guess that was his fault....maybe the truck driver can take solace in that

It's fine exploring the issues of fault but it really doesn't help the cyclist much. The cyclist is screwed in any case.
First off, I don't know if the cyclist is even a member on this website, so potentially nothing here helps him. And if he has seen this thread, than hopefully he takes seriously the recommendation of many, to look before crossing any intersection. And I'll add, don't just look for motorized vehicles; there are some roads I ride on where I have to be much more alert to other cyclists -- it's very easy to miss another cyclists when looking for a +2,000-lb. vehicle coming down the road.

I really don't understand this backlash against using the F-word. Everyone that pointed out that the cyclist should have looked before crossing is just as guilty to placing blame, they just didn't use the F-word.

Old 07-13-22, 11:01 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Three points:
  1. The traffic light had changed from yellow to RED.
  2. About ~one second after the red, the next two vehicles (car, then the truck) clearly ran the red light.
  3. The cyclists and pedestrian didn't bother ensuring traffic had cleared; they simply watched for the green light then began moving forward into the intersection.

That'll do it, every time.

Right of way is one thing. Awaiting clear and safe conditions before making your move is something else. (A bit like "the basic speed law," which covers all eventualities above and beyond what a max-speed sign might otherwise suggest.)
Old 07-13-22, 11:06 AM
njkayaker

I think this far into the thread we are beyond who is at fault 100%.
No, he was complaining about me finding fault.
No, he said the thread was beyond finding fault. (I established early on that the truck driver was at fault.)

The "comfort" part was concerning this quote from his post: "So why should the cyclist that got hit take any comfort from the fact that he was 0% at fault??"
I'm not looking to give out comfort.
He didn't say you were looking to give out comfort.

First off, I don't know if the cyclist is even a member on this website, so potentially nothing here helps him.
This isn't really the point. There are novice cyclists here that might find discussing what they can do to avoid a collision useful.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-13-22 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-13-22, 11:11 AM
work4bike

I don't think so. He was saying the truck driver being 100% at fault doesn't matter to the cyclist.

He didn't say you were looking to give out comfort.

This isn't really the point. There are novice cyclists here that might find discussing what they can do to avoid a collision useful.
Okey Dokey