Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New Bike, New Commute! (sort of)

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 07-18-22, 03:55 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts

Today was my first official commute to work since my last job ended 18 months ago. After free-lancing for 18 months I began a new full-time office job in the middle of last week.

I changed in the small private locking restroom next to my office. I could have changed into my office clothes in my office, but I will be sharing it with the other new hire when they arrive, so I don't know if that will continue to be an option. There is also a more spacious 'family' restroom upstairs, but it's off a more public area where clients may be present, and I'm not sure if the company wants me to be in that area in my bike clothes. At the previous job I had an actual dressing room with closet space

I was able to re-arrange the area behind my desk to create space for my bike, and a portable wardrobe/closet.

Today I rode my newest bike purchase, my 2007 Dahon Boardwalk 7-speed that I bought a year ago after my 28-year commute run ended. This is also its first official commute.

The bike computer said 5.6 miles at an average of 14.6 mph (It's downhill from my home) for a total running time of 23 minutes. I will check the results against my other bikes in the coming days for accuracy.

Here's a photo of my bike and wardrobe behind my desk. I have more decorating to do, and the old Mickey Mouse TV/DVD combo has to go! (and I would love to re-locate the cabinet full of old-tech supplies I will probably never use)

I am thankful and grateful to be bike commuting again!

Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-19-22, 06:02 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
The ride home, same route but uphill took 32 minutes for an average speed of about 10.5 mph.
Old 07-19-22, 06:14 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
Congrats, BobbyG!
The pandemic saw me furloughed from work and working freelance from home which put an end to my commuting to work. Miss it greatly as my ride to and from work was probably my favorite part of the work-day lol.
Likes For Rage: