Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tour of the Italian lakes in 2022

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 12-26-20, 12:55 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I'm considering a tour of the Italian lakes in 2022. The tour would include the floating bike path of Lake Garda. Has anyone done a similar tour? I would make use of the many ferrys that transport bikes and passengers from one town to the next. Please use all the links ;-)

https://vimeo.com/278996876

Cycling day one: Arona to Baveno, 30 miles & 3550 ft of climbing. This route takes in Logo d' Orta, one of the most scenic small lakes in northern Italy. It would be easy to add a rest day here and visit the Borromeo Islands.

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/3848512579

Cycling day two: Luino to Menaggio, 33 miles & 2700 ft of climbing. After taking a ferry to Luino, the route passes into Lugano and terminates at Menaggio on Lago Como. It would be tempting to add a rest day here and visit the Bellagio and Varenna.

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/3859795864

Cycling day three: Lecco to Isola, 46 miles and 3500 ft of climbing. After taking a ferry to Lecco, the route crosses north of Bergamo and terminates at Sarnico on Lago Isola.

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/3848740339

Cycling Day four: Lago Iseo to Lago Garda. The route crosses north of Brescia and terminates at Maderno on Lago Garda

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/3860411923

Cycling day five: The floating bike path of Garda. Please see the link below.

https://www.italymagazine.com/news/e...lys-lake-garda
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-26-20 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-26-20, 02:07 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 50 Posts
In April 2015, I did a route of northern Italy including several lakes. I rode a loop route from Milan. I rode east to VIcenza via the southern edge of Lakes Como and Garda. Then, I headed north to Trento and started west via the northern part of Lake Garda and went by Lakes Ladro, Idro, and Iseo. I then went north into the Dolomites turning back at Bormio and riding to the north end of Lake Como. From there, I went to Lake Lugano and then Lake Maggiore before returning to Milano. A truly fabulous trip! I wrote a detailed journal, as I always do, if you would like more information.

Some random thoughts:

Bormio is a very pretty place at the base of the Stelvio Pass. It is a challenge to get to but I really liked it.

Be sure to check if the passes are open before trying to ride over them!

Expect haze in the Po Valley.

The bike trail from Bassano del Grappo to Trento was fabulous.

Don't assume that Swiss National Bike routes are good biking.

Check that the ferries you are planning to use take bicycles.

The Italian Lakes are a pretty part of the world. You will have a great time, if the weather cooperates!
Old 12-26-20, 03:20 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by raybo
In April 2015, I did a route of northern Italy including several lakes. I rode a loop route from Milan. I rode east to VIcenza via the southern edge of Lakes Como and Garda. Then, I headed north to Trento and started west via the northern part of Lake Garda and went by Lakes Ladro, Idro, and Iseo. I then went north into the Dolomites turning back at Bormio and riding to the north end of Lake Como. From there, I went to Lake Lugano and then Lake Maggiore before returning to Milano. A truly fabulous trip! I wrote a detailed journal, as I always do, if you would like more information.

Some random thoughts:

Bormio is a very pretty place at the base of the Stelvio Pass. It is a challenge to get to but I really liked it.

Be sure to check if the passes are open before trying to ride over them!

Expect haze in the Po Valley.

The bike trail from Bassano del Grappo to Trento was fabulous.

Don't assume that Swiss National Bike routes are good biking.

Check that the ferries you are planning to use take bicycles.

The Italian Lakes are a pretty part of the world. You will have a great time, if the weather cooperates!
I will study your journal in detail, Thanks'
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-28-20, 08:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,287 Times in 7,226 Posts
I spent a couple of days cycling while based along Lake Maggiore back in ‘95. Quite nice. Did some of the trail near Bassano mentioned above. Also very nice. That was in 2013.

Nothing else to add except to say Italian drivers are not as scary as some think. But you do need to follow the rules. A couple people in our group almost got creamed one day outside Bassano. In typical Philly fashion, they did not properly yield to a vehicle when entering a traffic circle.
Old 12-28-20, 10:10 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I spent a couple of days cycling while based along Lake Maggiore back in ‘95. Quite nice. Did some of the trail near Bassano mentioned above. Also very nice. That was in 2013.

Nothing else to add except to say Italian drivers are not as scary as some think. But you do need to follow the rules. A couple people in our group almost got creamed one day outside Bassano. In typical Philly fashion, they did not properly yield to a vehicle when entering a traffic circle.
I recently purchased a residence in Meina on Lago Maggiore. One of the many motivations for the purchase was to have a place near Malpensa airport that would prove a base for short tours in northern Italy and beyond. It will also be a nice gathering spot for friends and family along with a retirement destination.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-28-20 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-28-20, 11:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,287 Times in 7,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I recently purchased a residence in Meina on Lago Maggiore. One of the many motivations for the purchase was to have a place near Malpensa airport that would prove a base for short tours in northern Italy and beyond. It will also be a nice gathering spot for friends and family along with a retirement destination.

Jealous!

BTW...If you do ever get to Bassano there is a cool WWI museum underneath a café at the old bridge over the Brenta. Lots of stuff actually used in the war including a Bianchi infantry bicycle complete with rifle rack.
Old 12-28-20, 01:35 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Not sure if there’s a question here or if it’s more of a brag thread? Anyway Orto San Guilio is one of the most beautiful small towns I’ve seen in Italy, though hardly undiscovered. I happened to camp there and take a rainy zero day or two. Shortly before dinner time the tour bus people got on their buses and left the town quiet and timeless and a bit magical, so it was a lovely place to watch the evening change and wander the darkened streets. I’m sure the towns are similar throughout this region - ie a bit swarmed in the daylight hours - but unless you’re staying in town in expensive hotels or get lucky with a campground just outside the centro storico you might miss the magical quiet evenings and mornings. Upper Bergamo was similar. I’ll second a recommendation for Bormio and ride up and over Stelvio if you can, just for the accomplishment - but with such a short trip I’m not sure it’ll be worth the time. I spent 4-5 days in Bormio and just rode all the passes and Giro stages around there.
Old 12-28-20, 01:48 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by fourfa
Not sure if there’s a question here or if it’s more of a brag thread? Anyway Orto San Guilio is one of the most beautiful small towns I’ve seen in Italy, though hardly undiscovered. I happened to camp there and take a rainy zero day or two. Shortly before dinner time the tour bus people got on their buses and left the town quiet and timeless and a bit magical, so it was a lovely place to watch the evening change and wander the darkened streets. I’m sure the towns are similar throughout this region - ie a bit swarmed in the daylight hours - but unless you’re staying in town in expensive hotels or get lucky with a campground just outside the centro storico you might miss the magical quiet evenings and mornings. Upper Bergamo was similar. I’ll second a recommendation for Bormio and ride up and over Stelvio if you can, just for the accomplishment - but with such a short trip I’m not sure it’ll be worth the time. I spent 4-5 days in Bormio and just rode all the passes and Giro stages around there.
Actually I'm looking for input on routes. The report raybo provided was very detailed and helpful.
Old 12-29-20, 01:21 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 50 Posts
Another great resource is https://italy-cycling-guide.info/
Likes For raybo:
Old 12-30-20, 07:38 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Barretts, seems to me you havent been on here for a long time no? Ive never been to Italy, but its always fun to see trip ideas, especially in these strange times.
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but go to youtube and look up the Stan Rodgers song, Barretts Privateers, a great song from a Canadian folk musician who died in a plane crash in the early 80s. Some of his better songs

Barretts Privateers
Northwest Passage
The idiot
The field behind the plow
Make and Break Harbour

ciao
Old 12-30-20, 09:54 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by djb
Barretts, seems to me you havent been on here for a long time no? Ive never been to Italy, but its always fun to see trip ideas, especially in these strange times.
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but go to youtube and look up the Stan Rodgers song, Barretts Privateers, a great song from a Canadian folk musician who died in a plane crash in the early 80s. Some of his better songs

Barretts Privateers
Northwest Passage
The idiot
The field behind the plow
Make and Break Harbour

ciao
Hi djb,

Yes, my cycling declined for a while due to a relocation in 2018 and time given over to a sailboat purchase in 2019. I'm ready to get back on the bike and traing for a 2022 tour should be a good motivator!
Old 12-30-20, 11:34 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
absolutely, planning a trip is always great to really get your arse in gear and put in the hours, knowing that you'll enjoy yourself more if in reasonable shape with reasonable saddle time put in.
Old 01-04-21, 10:21 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
The floating cycle path is beautiful... just expect it to be filled with pedestrians and families with baby strollers so it won't be a relaxed ride on an empty path with great views. That was my experience in 2019 at least.
I only did about half of lake Garda in a day and accidentally climbed 2100 meters (~6900 feet) when I took the MTB trail at Riva del Garda instead of the main road.

One thing to note though, you seem to be riding from lake to lake but hardly through the small towns along it. I found the towns themselves to be some of the best parts there. Beautiful old homes with ancient cypress trees.

Also, bring lights for the tunnels you will cross. I found Italian drivers to be very courteous if you used lights but also saw plenty of people on road bikes in the pitch black who were invisible and were passed with minimal distances.

Last edited by JaccoW; 01-04-21 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-29-21, 04:37 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by JaccoW
The floating cycle path is beautiful... just expect it to be filled with pedestrians and families with baby strollers so it won't be a relaxed ride on an empty path with great views. That was my experience in 2019 at least.
I only did about half of lake Garda in a day and accidentally climbed 2100 meters (~6900 feet) when I took the MTB trail at Riva del Garda instead of the main road.

One thing to note though, you seem to be riding from lake to lake but hardly through the small towns along it. I found the towns themselves to be some of the best parts there. Beautiful old homes with ancient cypress trees.

Also, bring lights for the tunnels you will cross. I found Italian drivers to be very courteous if you used lights but also saw plenty of people on road bikes in the pitch black who were invisible and were passed with minimal distances.

Fabulous!
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 07-20-22, 09:26 PM
gquirk77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone ridden along the eastern shore of Lake Garda? From looking at street view on Google maps there are some sections that look good for cyclists, but many that look pretty narrow.