Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

online-geometry table supporting the design of my own frame

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-22, 05:51 AM
apollodriver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Hey all,

I am pretty new to bikeframe-building. At the moment i am about the purchasing the tubes. secondly - I want to get to know the sitze of for the bike - and the geometry. So i am looking for some tools to CAD the bike. Any ideas here

I found some charts online that might help: The bike i am after is for road racing. I am 192 cm tall i found a little chart that might help here:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...frame_size.jpg
A typical modern carbon road bike frame geometry with measurement
Date 29 November 2019
Author Erykpl
the copyright holder of this work, hereby publish it under the following license:
Creative Commons https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...frame_size.jpg
This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International license.

I guess that this might help here. which CAD-Tools do you use!?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by apollodriver; 07-14-22 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-14-22, 08:21 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
See my reply to your ****** post. Andy
Old 07-14-22, 12:27 PM
apollodriver

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
good day dear AndrewRSteward

allways great to hear from you. Weil your answer is pretty clear and very concise.

Besides the idea of working with a CAD-system i am also trying to get a overview...

well - i am currently trying to get a overview for the basic data of the frame - see what i mean by that.

bike-geometry_data - see an overview

i am currently try to get a feeling for the dimensions and measures.

Look forward to hear from you again

greetings

Spoiler

Last edited by apollodriver; 07-14-22 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-14-22, 04:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

"your ****** post" Myself.

Darn auto censor. r-e-d-d-i-t, or as the auto censor feels is the evil enemy Andy
Old 07-14-22, 04:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

This chart shows the same fork rake and head angle (excepting the smallest size) across the size range. A common way a brand reduces the stock of forks they need for a size run. Same angles for most the size run is, again, a cost savings. Same BB drop. And the smallest size reflects the usual compromises when trying to fit 700c wheels to a tiny rider. Again a cost savings for the company. Not sure I would use this chart for more than what to avoid. Andy
Old 07-15-22, 07:49 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
"your ****** post" Myself.

Darn auto censor. r-e-d-d-i-t, or as the auto censor feels is the evil enemy Andy
Believe me, I have deleted so many spam posts with a link to red it that you would understand if it wasn't in the censor. Whenever they talk about taking it out of the censor, I convince them otherwise. So you can blame me. You can easily start a sub for spam and spam a link to it around the web. It's mostly movies.
I don't fully understand the economics behinds spam, but someone must be making money from it.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-15-22, 08:03 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Believe me, I have deleted so many spam posts with a link to red it that you would understand if it wasn't in the censor. Whenever they talk about taking it out of the censor, I convince them otherwise. So you can blame me. You can easily start a sub for spam and spam a link to it around the web. It's mostly movies.
I don't fully understand the economics behinds spam, but someone must be making money from it.
I figured it was something like that. I do find it interesting to note the tenor differences between the various on line groups I follow. I sometimes wish there were no anonymous postings allowed, in any group. Freedom of speech should also require the right to know who was speaking. This is one reason why I list my real name here and elsewhere.

To get back to this thread's topic- I will be soon designing a grovel bike for myself using BikeCad. I have most of the wheel parts coming and will use direct measurements for their dimensions. Andy
Old 07-19-22, 02:27 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Do you have any bikes you are riding at the moment that feel sort of about right or a bit too small? It might be worth taking some measurements off them to get you in the right ballpark. For a road bike I quite like the classic "Italian" horizontal top tube and ST the same length as the TT, which makes things easy, but I'm not fussy.

You could also try this: https://pedalforce.com/online/bikefit.php

Not so much that you should go with their actual frame sizing recommendations, but what's interesting is to see where you are on the bell curves. Are you normally proportioned for your height? Or do you have short legs and a long torso etc.? Personally I'm 6 feet tall but appear to have a fairly standard body of someone 5'11 but with an extra inch of either head or neck or both-- basically irrelevant to the bike fit-- so my frame size is a bit smaller than some people my height might go with.

For ultimate results of course make a fitting bike which is also a lot of fun:

https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuil...ting-bike.html
Old 07-29-22, 05:13 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
My opinion is that the largest geometry on your chart is too small: IE.. Short (59cm) top tube and depending on how upright you want to be, as far as the head tube length is The bottom bracket drop is OK, if you are planning to use 170mm length cranks (which are short for a tall guy like you) but a drop of 63 -65mm would be better for 175s