Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aero bike - beginners luck?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-22, 11:09 PM
Karno86

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I have an option of getting Scott foil 2018. That said I am an mountain biker only getting in to road cycling. I am not getting endurance bike, period I was looking at light/race bikes but stumbled on Foil. How much is Foil different in postion/comfort compared to example tarmac sl? (I read that year foil is quite comfortable for aero bike)
Old 08-04-22, 11:51 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Karno86
Hello, I have an option of getting Scott foil 2018. That said I am an mountain biker only getting in to road cycling. I am not getting endurance bike, period I was looking at light/race bikes but stumbled on Foil. How much is Foil different in postion/comfort compared to example tarmac sl? (I read that year foil is quite comfortable for aero bike)
Im guessing from the lack of response, no one wants to state the obvious, but I’ll bite.

Position has to do with how you set the bike up for yourself. As far as actual geometry differences, look up the specs for the size frame that fits you. Keep in mind all road race frames are designed to be nimble and quick. Differences between race frame geometry tend be be a matter of personal preference. Racers win with Scott and Specialized frames. Actually pretty much every race frame ever ridden by a capable racer. Any good, properly set up and maintained road bike will go as far as you are able to ride.

Comfort again depends on how you set the bike up and what your expectations are.

You really need to test ride that Scott or any other bike you plan to buy to see if it fits and whether or not it meets your expectations.

Good luck and​​​​​​ ​Happy cycling!
Likes For Sapperc:
Old 08-04-22, 01:02 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
^That^.

Also, ignore the "if you have a mountain bike background.. "If you're over XX age... " race geometry won't be comfortable.. or any other generalization. I have a mtn bike background, I'm in my 50s and ride a Foil and I think it's incredibly comfortable.
Old 08-04-22, 02:44 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Get a proper fit. Worked wonders for me. Based on that, you can buy the bike with a geometry that allows you to achieve your fit. Or speak to one, decide which size frame to get and then go and do the fit with the new bike.

I would still test ride the bike though, I tested two and the second was immediately more comfortable. Perhaps with a fit the first could have gotten there but I don't know.
Old 08-04-22, 02:51 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,030 Times in 4,470 Posts
A friend rode a Tarmac for years and when it was damaged by a non riding accident she bought a Foil. She was never happy with the Foil and I'm not sure what the problem was, maybe the top tube was too long? Anyway she sold it and bought a Domane. My point is you are going to have to ride it to see, unless you are confident buying from geometry charts.