Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Drop bar gravel to flat bar hybrid.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-03-22, 08:24 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

I would like to convert my 105 gravel bike, Topstone, to a flat bar bike. I would need to change the shifters and brake levers but need to find the compatible parts. I believe the front and rear D's are good but am wondering what to do about the shifters as the bike is an 11-speed and currently has trim on the front D. Is there a chart that is easily understood for a relative novice to know what components are compatible? I have changed out BB and cranks so I have limited knowledge of bike parts but have never gotten into the hydraulic brakes other than bleeding the brakes. I understand that I should probably take the bike to a local shop but I would really like to do this myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Frank.

Old 08-03-22, 08:28 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
This bike is good guide...It has all the parts to do what you want including a trim on the shifter for the front derailleur.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fa...dvanced-1-2021
Old 08-03-22, 09:18 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Originally Posted by prj71
This bike is good guide...It has all the parts to do what you want including a trim on the shifter for the front derailleur.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fa...dvanced-1-2021
Thank you.
Old 08-03-22, 09:51 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,809 Times in 1,534 Posts
Why the change? curious, not critical

note just changing bars and stem will not give a hybrid geometry

full disclosure: i find flat bars hurt my wrists. I am a big fan of drop bars for versatility, efficiency and ergonomics

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-03-22, 12:43 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
You have better control of the bike on gravel with flat bars vs. drop bars. Especially the gravel that is loose like rolling on marbles.
Likes For prj71:
Old 08-03-22, 01:48 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by squirtdad
Why the change? curious, not critical

note just changing bars and stem will not give a hybrid geometry

full disclosure: i find flat bars hurt my wrists. I am a big fan of drop bars for versatility, efficiency and ergonomics
I have spent many hours on "Bike Insights" comparing my Topstone to other bikes I was considering as a replacement. The rear triangle on most of the bikes was nearly exactly the same and the reach is within 2-3 mm. The trail is close to the same also so I decided to try and see what a flat bar or a mustache bar would feel like on this frame so. I did this, see the picture below, to get a feel of the bike and it was as good as I hoped it would be. These are obviously not flat bars but gave me the idea of what the bike would feel like in a more upright posture. I have back and shoulder wrist-elbow issues with arthritis so I do not know how much longer I can ride but I am doing my best to get as much time as I can on a bike without dumping a bunch of money that I will not have the time to enjoy. I have already put the bike back together as it was not safe to ride like that and the brief test told me all I needed to know. What I have learned is that the Topstone frame, medium, has a very similar geometry to the Fitness bike I was looking to buy so when my drop bar days are done it is the frame I will use to continue to ride as long as I can.

Likes For Helderberg:
Old 08-03-22, 02:38 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
I just did this to my son's Pure Cycles gravel bike. This thread is funny, because I also bought an Upan handlebar! Just a straight flat bar, however, narrowest thing I could find (620 mm).

Picked up the bar, a couple of SRAM MRX Comp Grip Shifters, and some Sora BL-R3000 Flat Bar Road Brake Levers that are compatible with his mechanical disk brakes. He got used to the Grip Shifters on Mom's old bike, so I stuck with those, rather than imposing trigger shifters (or thumb-shifters, my preference).

I removed the drop bar and brifters, and installed the new cockpit ... but then got stumped at the cabling (and forgot to buy housing!). So I ended up taking it to the local LBS and letting them complete the setup. The only thing I have found is that the bars are a little wide, leaving the brake levers a little too far inland for where I find my hands in general. I may cut it down, but he says he can work with it. The advantages of youth, I suppose - he doesn't have decades of hand movements in his system yet.

Edit: "Muscle memory" -- That's the term I was looking for the other day and couldn't remember it. I have decades of muscle memory that my son doesn't have yet. Confirms the getting old part, I guess

Last edited by Chinghis; 08-05-22 at 10:41 AM.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 08-07-22, 07:09 PM
samr1953

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I did something like you're describing, and for the same reasons, to my 2000 Gunnar Crosshairs. Nitto North Trail bars, Brooks saddle, Shimano bar ends, Shimano brakes and levers. Much more comfortable for my neck/upper back.
Likes For samr1953:
Old 08-10-22, 07:44 AM
jpbiking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Sweet Gunnar!

I've done this multiple times and start by getting the right bar on the bike then play with the stem, angles, etc. until it feels just right. There is very little chance that you'll get the setup right on the first attempt (I've yet to) and every time you ride it for a while you'll likely be considering and making adjustments.

It helps if you have a number of spare stems and bars to try out. I also recommend using an adjustable stem initially to help figure out bar placement before shifting to a solid stem.
Likes For jpbiking:
Old 08-15-22, 11:54 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
Frank - just got a Topstone at a flea market this past weekend

low-end model - Shimano Sora 9 spd with mechanical disk brakes

I believe it is a 2021 - dark (dark) gray metallic

rode it a little yesterday - seemed good / I like - but obviously too early to determine how much I like

but the first thing I did notice is the difference in braking - mechanical discs vs the hydraulic discs on my other disc bikes ...