Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

jumps up a gear under load sometimes Help.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-22, 04:16 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 849 Posts

I have an 1x11 drivetrain and for the most part it shifts smooth and quickly but sometimes when I am climbing and shift to a lower it will shift to the lower gear but immediately shift back to the higher gear. It sometimes does it when not shifting but just putting power under load like starting to climb without actually shifting down my bike will shift to a higher gear on its own. Does not do it all the time but enough it is bothersome. I have microshift bar end shifters deore rear derailleur. does not matter if clutch is off or on altho I have had it on most of the time. Again shifts find under normal riding. Is this something that is addressed via the barrel adjuster or at the derailleur itself? thanks. photo of what I have.

Old 08-09-22, 04:22 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Turn the barrel adjuster (either on the downtube cable stop or on the rear derailleur) about 1/2 turn counterclockwise. That should fix it.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-09-22, 04:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Are you in the big front with this happens? Besides the above reply, it might be that your chain line isn't quite what it should be. However I'd only expect the chain line to be off if this was a bike that someone made 11 speed using a mix match of other components. Particularly the crankset. If the 11 speed is original to the bike, then chain line is likely adequate.
Old 08-09-22, 04:45 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you in the big front with this happens? Besides the above reply, it might be that your chain line isn't quite what it should be. However I'd only expect the chain line to be off if this was a bike that someone made 11 speed using a mix match of other components. Particularly the crankset. If the 11 speed is original to the bike, then chain line is likely adequate.
I only have one chainring (42 tooth) and it was a new build
Old 08-09-22, 04:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Well get the bike up on a stand or someplace you can comfortably stand behind it and sight over the top of the rear cassette to the front ring. Try to find what cog on the rear looks like it has the chain perfectly straight with no bend left or right. If that is one of your middle three cogs then your chain line is likely good enough. And just forget my mentioning of chain line as that will just be searching for the wrong possible solution.

However if the chain doesn't look straight until you shift down to some of the smaller cogs with less teeth, then that might be something to think about if no other more likely solutions solve your problem.

and it was a new build
I don't know if this means you built the bike or that it was originally built and sold as a 11 speed. No need to answer though. Just pointing out that it's sort of ambiguous to some of us... well at least me.
Old 08-09-22, 05:01 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by HillRider
Turn the barrel adjuster (either on the downtube cable stop or on the rear derailleur) about 1/2 turn counterclockwise. That should fix it.
thank you. the rear derailleur does not have a barrel adjuster.

Old 08-09-22, 05:03 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Iride01
Well get the bike up on a stand or someplace you can comfortably stand behind it and sight over the top of the rear cassette to the front ring. Try to find what cog on the rear looks like it has the chain perfectly straight with no bend left or right. If that is one of your middle three cogs then your chain line is likely good enough. And just forget my mentioning of chain line as that will just be searching for the wrong possible solution.

However if the chain doesn't look straight until you shift down to some of the smaller cogs with less teeth, then that might be something to think about if no other more likely solutions solve your problem.

I don't know if this means you built the bike or that it was originally built and sold as a 11 speed. No need to answer though. Just pointing out that it's sort of ambiguous to some of us... well at least me.
Handsome cycles built it. It is a brand new bike and build. Chain line looks spot on to me. all help is appreciated.
Old 08-09-22, 05:37 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
The person you responded to said to turn the barrel adjuster either on the downtube or at the rear derailleur. Not sure why you ignored half of that post.

The barrel adjuster on the downtube is shown prominently in your first picture. As said earlier, a half-turn (counter-clockwise) should fix the problem.
Old 08-09-22, 05:40 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Old 08-09-22, 05:42 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Trakhak
The person you responded to said to turn the barrel adjuster either on the downtube or at the rear derailleur. Not sure why you ignored half of that post.

The barrel adjuster on the downtube is shown prominently in your first picture. As said earlier, a half-turn (counter-clockwise) should fix the problem.
Yes I was just saying rear derailleur didn't have one in my original post I thought I mentioned the barrel adjuster I guess i need to be more clear sorry lol

Last edited by jadmt; 08-09-22 at 05:46 PM.