Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Yet another question for Canyon owners please

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-07-19, 04:14 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

I really need to make my Di2 battery easily removable and hence mailed Canyon with some questions.

Am surprised that they said that I could not place the batterry either in the seat tube, ORF change to a regular seat post and place the battery there?

Dear Deepak,

Thank you for your email.

As promised we passed your inquiries to the techs. Please see our answers below in blue:

1. If I retain the original Canyon split post, will the battery fit in the seat tube?
- It would fit but there is no holder to keep the battery stable. Also we do not recommend nor support this set up.

2. If that is not possible, can I change the seatpost and fit the battery there?
- It will not fit because of the diameter and flex of the post

3. Is there enough space around the bottom bracket for the wires to go from the down tube to the seat tube?
- There is a bit of space but see the answer to number 2
Any reason I cannot put a regular seat post and place battery there or in the seat tube below the seat post? Another reason is that I will travel with this bike, and I use a Rixen Kaul backpack which clamps on to my seat post, and hence seatpost needs to be alloy.
Old 03-07-19, 09:15 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Their answer to your question #2 appears to be a reading comprehension failure.

I clicked the thread because I (more accurately my kid) has a Canyon Mtn bike, but I have a (non-Canyon) road bike with a Di2 battery in the seat post. It is FSA, but pretty much any non-suspension/non-dropper post should enable you to put a Di2 battery within it.

The answer they provide seems to assume you want to put it in their leaf spring seatpost, which you probably cannot.
Old 03-07-19, 11:29 PM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by wgscott
Their answer to your question #2 appears to be a reading comprehension failure.

I clicked the thread because I (more accurately my kid) has a Canyon Mtn bike, but I have a (non-Canyon) road bike with a Di2 battery in the seat post. It is FSA, but pretty much any non-suspension/non-dropper post should enable you to put a Di2 battery within it.

The answer they provide seems to assume you want to put it in their leaf spring seatpost, which you probably cannot.
That's what I thought too, but needed a confirmation. Thanks.

How do you fish the battery out when you need to?
Old 03-08-19, 12:03 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
In 4.5 years, I haven't had to take it out, but it is secured in some sort of (commercially available) mounting device in the seatpost. There is enough slack in the wire so that I can pull out the seatpost with the battery still mounted inside, and I guess I should be able to release the battery from its mount in the seatpost when the time comes to replace it. (My frame-builder set it all up, so I don't know exactly what would have to be done, but I assume it is a straightforward procedure. I charge the battery from an external junction box strapped to the bottom of my handlebar stem.

Some examples on Amazon
Old 05-05-19, 10:00 AM
deepakvrao

OK. Got the bike, and when I got it back to India, shifted the battery to the seat tube. The seat tube narrows at the bottom, and I had just enough space for the battery. If my seat post had to go down deeper, this would have not worked.

Added the D Fly unit in line at the same time, and left it in the down tube. Works fine.

Old 05-23-19, 03:44 AM
deepakvrao

Just a warning. Just yesterday a friend was asked to take out the di2 battery from his bike at check in. This was in AbuDhabi. So, they might be implementing the new rules after all. This is why I wanted to switch the location of my battery.
Likes For deepakvrao:
Old 05-24-19, 10:58 AM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Seeing a beautiful Canyon gripped by that dirty seat tube is putting my OCD in the red
Old 08-09-22, 11:53 AM
Gaurav Mahajan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing deepakvrao - would you have any pics of battery installation?