Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

How to start my next build

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 06-18-22, 09:47 AM
lkayser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I currently ride the bike my father built, it’s a 08’ 54cm Carbon Colnago Arte stripped down to a SS with 700c Bontrager Select wheels, Early DuraAce rim brakes to early Decore XT levers on a KORE elite stem to KORE easton flat bars, running 170mm ENO white industries cranks with a unknown (to me) chainring, same goes for rear cog 46:14gear ratio. Random scrapped seatpost and a clearance bin Fizik saddle
I’m looking to build a new single speed of a similar nature, i’ve nearly outgrown this bike in terms of strength and i can’t bear to modify it because of my dad having built it.
Any advice all on how to get towards a similar build without spending my life’s saving would be much appreciated!

Note/ Eventually ill be able to post the bike, I need to be more activity in the forum before I can post pics ig.
Old 06-18-22, 09:51 AM
lkayser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Additional Note, I’m 16, I have a pretty solid budget (i think) of around 3-3.5k end of build. But if there’s suggestions for a longer term build my budget can always grow, I work a solid amount.
Old 06-18-22, 10:08 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
A $3000 singlespeed shouldn't be too hard to cobble together, but there's not much to go on here.

What's the planned use? Preferred frame material? How have you "outgrown" your current bike "in terms of strength"?
Old 06-18-22, 01:07 PM
lkayser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rolla
A $3000 singlespeed shouldn't be too hard to cobble together, but there's not much to go on here.

What's the planned use? Preferred frame material? How have you "outgrown" your current bike "in terms of strength"?
My bad, I posted this before work in a rush after the one i made with a picture wouldn’t post. I ride mainly around my city, it’s hilly with a lot of turns, I’ve been riding my current bike for about 5 years and 3 years seriously now and I’ve found that ascending is now easy enough that my formerly hardest hill is now relatively easy, even at the end of a tiring ride. But my main problem is that i’m “spinning out” most times I try to sprint on flats or do anything downhill, i’m rather ignorant in the grander world of bikes so if that isn’t a strength thing I’d love to know what it actually is so i can work on it.
TLDR - going to be my primary mode of transportation in a city plus a fun whip around for pleasure bike, i’m spinning out often on my current bike but don’t want to modify that bike.

Preferably a carbon frame or a lighter alloy frame with a carbon fork , 700c aero wheels( not educated enough on carbon vs alloy and how to decide there), rim brakes, and beyond that I’m yet to find out what’s going to be best.
I’ve searched around ebay, my local craigslist and theproscloset just to get an idea of which frames will be best in terms of the drop outs, spacing/ geometry but am really at a point where I just don’t know what’s going to be practical for the build. There’s so many people who take TT bikes and make them cool fixies or SS but those are all people on youtube with decades of experience so I’m really just looking to be educated more on the general starting point for something of this nature.

I’ve realized by now i’m going to sound wildly out of my depth writing in this forum but I figure there’s not many better ways to learn other than here and youtube.
Old 06-18-22, 01:20 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
Hi , 3-3.5K budget sounds real good . Depending on frame material I guess , what are you thinking ? Carbon/steel rides smooth in the street , Aluminum not so much .
Suggestion , build/buy a Carbon/steel road bike and then build your ultimate fix/SS .
Mark .
Old 06-18-22, 01:27 PM
lkayser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by markwesti
Hi , 3-3.5K budget sounds real good . Depending on frame material I guess , what are you thinking ? Carbon/steel rides smooth in the street , Aluminum not so much .
Suggestion , build/buy a Carbon/steel road bike and then build your ultimate fix/SS .
Mark .
I’m thinking carbon. i think that’s a good idea though starting from just a stand-alone frame or frameset seems like a scary endeavor so beginning from something that has everything and then adding the things i want to and taking off that I don’t sounds like a solid plan especially if I can find something with quality components that can be kept/repurposed
Likes For lkayser:
Old 06-18-22, 01:53 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by lkayser
i’m spinning out often on my current bike but don’t want to modify that bike.
Getting a bigger chainring and/or a smaller cog would give you a bigger gear. This is a completely reversible procedure, so it's not really a "modification." Just sayin'.

Originally Posted by lkayser
Preferably a carbon frame or a lighter alloy frame with a carbon fork , 700c aero wheels.
Because of the chain tensioning issue, I think a dedicated singlespeed frame with horizontal track ends makes things a lot easier than converting a geared bike with vertical dropouts, although there are a few ways you can do that.

I'm all about steel, so my recommendations wouldn't fit your criteria. Best of luck on your quest!