Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bus rack questions

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bus rack questions

Old 07-18-22, 10:46 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Bus rack questions

A couple of questions for those in the know:
I'm considering using a bus to get back on the last day on my next trip. Grande Ronde Oregon to Salem. I emailed the transit company - hopefully I'll get a reply.

What are the chances their rack will accommodate my 3" wide tires? If so, do you think I can leave my bikepacking bags on my bike or will I need to take them off? If I have to bring my bike inside the bus, do you think I'll be able to leave my bags attached to my bike? If I can leave my bags on my bike, it'll save a lot of time and effort.

I brought a bike on public transportation once years ago and the rack was already full so we were able to bring our bikes on the bus with us. We took the paniers off before the bus arrived.

You're all welcome to hijack my question with your own stories of times you've used busses when touring. I look forward to hearing about your experiences.
Old 07-19-22, 06:23 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I do not use bike packing gear, but if I did and if I planned to have my bike on the front rack on a bus, I would worry about the 60 mph wind from the side on my bags. Your bikepacking bags were not designed for that much of a side load from the wind. A square foot would probably have almost a 10 pound side load at 60 mph. I would plan on taking the saddle bag and frame triangle bag off at a minimum.

On the 3 inch tires, if the bus rack won't fit those tires, would your bike work if you deflated the tires part way?

I would hate to look out a window like this and see a velcro strap start coming loose.

Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 07-19-22, 06:39 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
The racks I have used on buses might be a mixed bag for 3" tires. Some would fit and some may not without letting out enough air to squeeze the tire between the rails. I think they all would fit with some air out and a squeeze fit, but that would depend on you being quick with the loading and the driver being patient.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 07-19-22, 11:05 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Update: The reply I got back from the bus company didn't answer my max tire width question. All I got was their racks accommodate up to 2 bikes.
Quoted from reply:
"Our bike racks accommodate two bikes total on our busses. So, my suggestion would be that if there is another bike on the bus rack at the time of you boarding the bus, I would take the bags off. If not, you can keep them on there! I hope this helps. Please reach out if you have any further questions!"

Last edited by mtnbud; 07-19-22 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-19-22, 02:31 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Plan to pump up your tires again after you get it off of the bus.
Old 07-19-22, 03:23 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Maybe you can either find a bike club in the area or someone who did a tour and used the bus there to get better intel. Finding them via one of the journal sites (cycleblaze or cgoab) might work if no one here pipes up with more specific info about that specific bus company.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 07-21-22, 12:14 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If this is a typical bike rack as used on any public bus in the states, tires unusually sized will most likely not fit. The idea of letting the air out of them is a good one. As for leaving your panniers and stuff on, how long can it possibly take to dismantle it all? In addition, maybe you have the muscle, but that'll be a heavy load to lift onto the rack. Take it all off. I have had a bus driver or two tell me I can't leave anything on the bike, Yuma doesn't even want anything in the basket! Also, should that spring bar slip (and it has happened to me in 2 cities), you don't want the possibility of losing everything when the bike goes down. I suggest calling the bus service and asking to speak with the maintenance dept who will know about the 3" width. Or, as suggested, contact a local bike club or shop.