Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Takara

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-22, 04:22 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Takara

My stepson owns a bike that's been sitting in my garage for years. I think it's from the 90's, but am not sure.
It's not in good shape.
My opinion is that it's pretty much worthless, as it would take a lot of money to get back to riding condition. It's worse than the picture makes it look.
He seems to think it's a valuable collector's item, but I doubt it. I know zero about this brand.
Can anyone clarify? I'd like to leave it out on the curb with the trash, or for anyone who decides to grab it.

Old 08-09-22, 04:30 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
The brand is kind of a humdrum Japanese maker, but it looks like a top line model (lugs, cotterless crank, sloping fork crown) and could be worth something. What does the rectangle under the saddle area say about the tubing?
Old 08-09-22, 04:31 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
My opinion is that it's pretty much worthless, as it would take a lot of money to get back to riding condition. It's worse than the picture makes it look.
He seems to think it's a valuable collector's item, but I doubt it. I know zero about this brand.
Can anyone clarify? I'd like to leave it out on the curb with the trash, or for anyone who decides to grab it.
That is early 80s and probably not a valuable collector's item. Nevertheless it is not IMHO worthless and while it would possibly take more than its worth to get it in ridable condition someone like me would probably be interested were the price right. While Takara bicycles are not highly regarded, this was the 990 and their top model. For reference, I gave $75 for a very good Takara 970 and $125 for an almost unused 950 a year or two ago in the NE Oklahoma market and was not unhappy to do so. Please post more pictures.

Last edited by Chuck M; 08-09-22 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-09-22, 06:21 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject bicycle is very late 1970s to very early 1980s. While it is labelled a Professional, it is actually more of a mid-range model. I believe these were plain gauge CrMo tubing. Derailleurs were typically SunTour Cyclone. Unfortunately, while the rims are aliuminum, they are only 27" and not 700C. Weight should be around 25 lbs. Most Takara of this era were manufactured by Kuwahara of Japan, a well respected company.

It's not a collector's item but it's also far from worthless. I second the request for more photos (and the serial number, which should confirm the year and manufacturer). The cosmetic condition looks respectable. It probably only needs a good overhaul and replacement of some consumables. It should easily fetch a C-note and possibly closer to a double C-note, depending on mechanical condition and local market conditions.
Old 08-10-22, 07:58 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

T-Mar's suggestion that it could possibly get $200 in the present condition isn't unreasonable. I gave $125 for a better equipped '84 Asian built Raleigh in a ready to ride state, but I could see myself giving $200 for this. Currently on eBay there is a Professional with an almost $900 asking price that I don't see being sold anytime soon if ever for that. There is also what is probably a Deluxe Sport-10 being listed as a Professional for close to $240 that I wouldn't give $24 for and I have a soft spot for Takara bikes.

I'm of the mindset many bikes are simply worth what one would pay. A recent thread suggesting eBay sale prices are where people should base values caused some stir. And while I agree that what a bike has a history of regularly selling for is something to consider, just because they are listed for a price or one sold at a certain number doesn't mean they are worth it. I hope your son gets a fair price from someone that will enjoy the bike and you get some garage space back.

Old 08-10-22, 08:30 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
That can clean up very nice with oil and water into a very presentable bike. That one is pretty good with forged cranks, most of their middling offers are cast and forgemeld spiders. I like the slopping forkcrown, it can take wide tires, handle fenders.

That bike is a sleeper ready to to waken. Just needs one that likes to repack bearings.
Old 08-10-22, 08:41 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Perhaps you could post where you are? Might affect the value.
Old 08-10-22, 09:28 AM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Waltham, in the Boston area. He wonders if the frame is damaged (I'm not sure why): if so, then it is toast.
Old 08-10-22, 10:00 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
Just from what you posted it looks fine, now it could be that the damage is a need for alignment. That's not uncommon for a 45 year old steel, nor is it much of a deterrent for those who like metallic warriors.
Old 08-10-22, 10:22 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
My riding buddy had one of those in the early 80s. Not quite up to the name “Professional”but a good midrange bike. 27” wheels pretty much came on any bike not running sew up tires around 1980 so that is not really a negative.
Probably roughly equal or a bit nicer than a Panasonic DX 2000 of the same vintage. Even Panasonic’s DX 4000 (very nice) had 27” wheels.
Old 08-10-22, 10:34 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Just from what you posted it looks fine, now it could be that the damage is a need for alignment. That's not uncommon for a 45 year old steel, nor is it much of a deterrent for those who like metallic warriors.
I agree with that 100%. My Takara Deluxe Touring I had in high school was slightly out of alignment. The more I visit this thread the more I consider what it would take to ship this bike to Oklahoma and what I'd give for it without looking it over in person were the son inclined to sell it.

Old 08-10-22, 11:02 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
Waltham, in the Boston area. He wonders if the frame is damaged (I'm not sure why): if so, then it is toast.
Even if the frame were damaged beyond repair, there are parts on that bike that would have some value to people such as you find here. If you just want to get it out of the garage, an asking price under a hundred dollars would bring someone to your door who was willing to do the work to either fix it up or part it out.
Old 08-11-22, 01:51 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Excellent brakes and derailleurs! I'd take those any day.