Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to open Peugeot Carbolite 103 freewheel and BB

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 12:27 PM
kipibenkipod
Got an old Peugeot

Bikes: I had a Trek 1200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,
I got this Peugeot Carbolite 103.
would like to open the freewheel and the BB.
What tools I need to use?
I have looked on Park Tools website, but didn't find tool that will fit the BB or the Freewheel.

Thanks,
Kfir

Old 04-07-10, 12:57 PM
bikeman715

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For the BB you'll need a locking ring wrench, and a adjustable wrench for the adjustable cup. for the freewheel, you need a bicycle research CT -3 to pull the freewheel from the wheel. the freewheel opening is 30 mm wide.
Old 04-07-10, 03:03 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
That's an 8 notch lockring on that BB, Typical of many Stronglight BBs of that time.....and very hard to find an exact lockring for, as most BB lockrings have six notches. Stronglight mad a two tooth lockring spanner for their BBs, but it's almost impassible to find these days.. You will most likely have to use a claw type spanner, but make sure it is made for the correct diameter lcokring or it will pop off repeaedly if you use one for a bigger diameter. I noticed that a fixie/SS sprocket lockwring wrench works nicely on these smaller diameter lockrings. The one made by "Pedros" fits nice and nug against my Stronglight lockring, plus it is thick enough wo it's stable when you use it to tihten the ring. Expensive though, I think it's close to 20 bucks! Park makes one that works but is not as stable feeling on the ring as the Pedros.

Chombi
Old 04-07-10, 03:09 PM
kipibenkipod
Got an old Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bikeman715, thanks for your reply.
My problem is that I tried all the BB wrenches of Park at my LBS, and nothing fit.
Can you give me an example of such tools?

I found the Bicycle Research CT-3 Normandy Type here: https://www.bicycleresearchtools.com/...l#anchor270825

Thanks,
Kfir
Old 04-07-10, 03:12 PM
kipibenkipod
Got an old Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
That's an 8 notch lockring on that BB, Typical of many Stronglight BBs of that time.....and very hard to find an exact lockring for, as most BB lockrings have six notches. Stronglight mad a two tooth lockring spanner for their BBs, but it's almost impassible to find these days.. You will most likely have to use a claw type spanner, but make sure it is made for the correct diameter lcokring or it will pop off repeaedly if you use one for a bigger diameter. I noticed that a fixie/SS sprocket lockwring wrench works nicely on these smaller diameter lockrings. The one made by "Pedros" fits nice and nug against my Stronglight lockring, plus it is thick enough wo it's stable when you use it to tihten the ring. Expensive though, I think it's close to 20 bucks! Park makes one that works but is not as stable feeling on the ring as the Pedros.

Chombi
What wrench is the park? I tried all the wrenches in my LBS. If you will provide me with the wrench type, I'll go tomorrow to try again.

Thanks,
Kfir
Old 04-07-10, 03:17 PM
kipibenkipod
Got an old Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a way to pray out the freewheel. If I'll take it out, I'll make this bike a fixie. If not, I will use it with the gears.

Kfir
Old 04-07-10, 03:30 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Originally Posted by kipibenkipod
What wrench is the park? I tried all the wrenches in my LBS. If you will provide me with the wrench type, I'll go tomorrow to try again.

Thanks,
Kfir
I don't remember what Park model/part number it is, but I'll take a look tonight and post it for you.
The Park works OK with the Stronglight lockrings, but does not sit as nicely and snug as the Pedros FIxie/SS gear lockring wrench IMO.
There is also the claw wrench made by Hozan that feels very close as good a fit as the Pedros, but it is also expensive. Park should work good enough if you are very careful using it.....it's what I ended up using on the aluminum 8 notched lockrings of my NOS Stronglight BB for my Vitus bike earlier this year.

Chombi
Old 04-07-10, 03:48 PM
kipibenkipod
Got an old Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I'll wait for your post.
Bottom bracket tools on park website

Thanks,
Kfir
Old 04-07-10, 03:53 PM
kipibenkipod
Got an old Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
I don't remember what Park model/part number it is, but I'll take a look tonight and post it for you.
The Park works OK with the Stronglight lockrings, but does not sit as nicely and snug as the Pedros FIxie/SS gear lockring wrench IMO.
There is also the claw wrench made by Hozan that feels very close as good a fit as the Pedros, but it is also expensive. Park should work good enough if you are very careful using it.....it's what I ended up using on the aluminum 8 notched lockrings of my NOS Stronglight BB for my Vitus bike earlier this year.

Chombi
I think you mean this tool: Park HCW-5

Kfir
Old 04-07-10, 04:05 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
While that Park tool is nice, I usually just use a set of channel locks for that style bb on the adjustable cup side. Once the lock ring is loosened, the adjustable cup usually comes off very easily.
Old 04-07-10, 04:08 PM
kipibenkipod
Got an old Peugeot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
While that Park tool is nice, I usually just use a set of channel locks for that style bb on the adjustable cup side. Once the lock ring is loosened, the adjustable cup usually comes off very easily.
Can you explain what is channel locks?

Thanks,
Kfir
Old 04-07-10, 04:31 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Can you explain what is channel locks?

Thanks,
Kfir
Channel locks are a brand of adjustable pliers. Google them, you will find thousands of links. Can find at pretty much any hardware store, along with Walmart and others.

BTW: The only thing on your bike that is unique Peugeot is the frame. Peugeot, like pretty much every bicycle maker out there built their bikes using parts built by a handful of suppliers, that supplied everyone in the industry. Many brands didn't even make their frames, they were just marketing companies. I have a Schwinn for example that does not have a single Schwinn part on it, the entire bike was made by Panasonic, and even in the case of Panasonic, they only made the frame.

Carbolite 103 is not the model of your bike, its Peugeot's tradename for the high tension steel they used to make the frame. Peugeot made several bikes, over many years, with Carbolite 103 frames. The Carbolite 103 was used on their lower end models.
Old 04-07-10, 04:42 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Is there a way to pray out the freewheel. If I'll take it out, I'll make this bike a fixie. If not, I will use it with the gears.

Kfir
That bike may be french threaded. I think the model is UO-8. If it's french threaded then ss/bmx freewheels and track cogs won't fit your rear hub. You can get a new, fixed gear rear wheel, and velo-orange.com makes 103mm french thread bottom brackets which will put the front chainring in the right place.

If you want to use the bike as is, don't mess with the bb unless the spindle wobbles loose in its bearings. Sheldonbrown.com or an older book ought to have instructions for cup and cone bbs. If it's french then both sides are right hand threaded. You need a hook spanner to remove the lockring then a large crescent wrench to remove the cup.
Old 04-07-10, 05:49 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I've used channel locks before on similar BBs. Wrap a couple of layers of friction tape around the teeth to minimize that chances of scratching the BB shell. Just looking at the bike, I would say that it's an early to mid 80's model. Over time Peugeot started using fewer French threaded stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if you could put a standard cartridge BB in there if you wanted. My 87 Peugeot had one. The rear hub is another story. It looks like it says Malliard on the small cog. It's possible it's not a freewheel at all and instead is a forerunner to modern cassettes.
Old 04-07-10, 06:06 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's a freewheel, not a helicomatic cassette hub. look for a thread designation on it. If it says 34x1 then you can't put fixed gear stuff on it. If it says 1.37x24 then you can.

Velo-orange.com has french thread cartridge bbs. Some french bikes also came with swiss thread bbs in the mid 80s. those are like french except with reverse thread on one side. see sheldonbrown.com for a discussion on bb threading for french bikes.

A pipe wrench would work as well as channel locks but either one is going to mar the lockring. A hook spanner is the right tool. The bb may be still good.
Old 04-07-10, 06:40 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Once u take the lockring lose the cup should be as easy as using your own hand.
Old 04-07-10, 07:09 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
bikeman715, thanks for your reply.
My problem is that I tried all the BB wrenches of Park at my LBS, and nothing fit.
Can you give me an example of such tools?
A single pin lockring tool like the Hozan will work:

Failing that, a lockring plier will also work:
Old 04-07-10, 07:12 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Even a big arss pipe style adjustable wrench can take care of that lock ring. Or a good vice
Old 04-07-10, 07:12 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by garage sale GT
That bike may be french threaded. I think the model is UO-8.
No, it's newer than a UO-8. "Carbolite" is actually the model number. Unlike the UO-8, the Carbolite is lugless.

If it's french threaded then ss/bmx freewheels and track cogs won't fit your rear hub. You can get a new, fixed gear rear wheel, and velo-orange.com makes 103mm french thread bottom brackets which will put the front chainring in the right place.
Or you can just find a shorter spindle to use with the present cups.
Old 04-07-10, 07:59 PM
Chombi

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
No, it's newer than a UO-8. "Carbolite" is actually the model number. .....
Uhmmmm.. "Carbolite" a model number???.....Uhhh no,.... "Carbolite 103" is the tubing material made by/for Peugeot to use on their bikes in the 80's. High tensile, High carbon straight guage tubing. Carbolite 103 was used on many bike models P8, PH10...etc....

Chombi
Old 04-07-10, 08:16 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Or you can just find a shorter spindle to use with the present cups.
What sort of spindle do you use with a French BB? (it may not be French if it's much later than '85. Not sure of the exact year. It can be Swiss or British.)

P.S. the pipe wrench/adjusable plier approach will mar the lockring.
Old 04-07-10, 09:14 PM
tjspiel

No, it's newer than a UO-8. "Carbolite" is actually the model number. Unlike the UO-8, the Carbolite is lugless.
Agree that it's probably newer than a UO-8. The UO-8's I've seen had lugs, half-chromed forks and cottered cranks. Maybe the UO-8 continued beyond what I'm thinking. Carbolite is just the type of tubing though.
Old 04-07-10, 09:21 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by garage sale GT
What sort of spindle do you use with a French BB? (it may not be French if it's much later than '85. Not sure of the exact year. It can be Swiss or British.)

P.S. the pipe wrench/adjusable plier approach will mar the lockring.
It's not a smooth edged lockring. I don't know if you'd notice any difference in it after using a channel lock or pipe wrench unless you really had to apply a lot of force to get it loose.

If it were an especially nice vintage bike I might feel differently. As it is it may not be worth buying a special tool that you may never use again unless you work on a lot of bikes.

Last edited by tjspiel; 04-07-10 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 09:38 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
If I'll take it out, I'll make this bike a fixie. If not, I will use it with the gears.

Kfir
I say spend time cleaning this one up, sell it, and buy a bike that is already converted.
Old 04-07-10, 11:33 PM
Chombi

Thanks,
Kfir
Kfir,
The Park wrench that worked OK for me on my Stronglight's BB lockring was the model number HCW-5. The other end of the wrench has a different style with three claws on it for I don't know what type of lockring. you will need to use the other end with the single claw. Just make sure you have it seated nice and centered on the lockring before you apply any torque on the wrench because once it starts slipping on you, it will mess up the notches on the lockring.
Good luck if you decide on the Park wrench.
You might be also lucky to find a bikeshop that will lend out it's tools and maybe just let you borrow the wrench to get your BB lockiring off at their shop....Some nice shops might even do it for free.

Chombi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.