Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Pics of what I did over the winter

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Pics of what I did over the winter

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-10, 01:10 PM
kipibenkipod
Got an old Peugeot

Bikes: I had a Trek 1200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are very creative.
I really liked the chain guard made from wood. Beautiful!
Old 04-15-10, 01:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
You know, jeffpoulin has an excellent idea. First of all, he's right: your bikes look that good. (And so do your other creations.) Second of all, he may also be right that there is a market for your creations, willing to pay some very pretty pennies for them. The hard thing is marketing.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-15-10, 01:26 PM
Voxxy Brown
Canadian Commuter

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That cargo bike is amazing. Well, they are ALL amazing. I am part owner of a weld/fabrication shop and that is top notch craftsmanship, I must say and I'm the worst critic of shoddy welding/grinding.

Would you mind providing us with some close-ups of how you mounted the chain guard, and a rear/front view? I'm thinking of making one and love your design. I'd just like to see it all in a bit more detail. Thanks

Joe
Old 04-15-10, 01:28 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
One more thing... if you do restore another bike and want to sell it but aren't sure what to say or where to say it, post pics of the bike here and describe what you did. I'm sure there are many people on these boards, myself included, who would love to give you ideas for how to market it. Nothing sales-pitchy, of course. Your bikes are works of art. They'll sell themselves to the right audience without any hype.
Old 04-15-10, 01:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
Right, and since you have trouble with spelling, we'll help you with all that.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-15-10, 05:05 PM
mechanicalron

Bikes: Surly LHT, 94 Cannondale track bike, 80's Cannondale track bike, 60's Raleigh 5 speed, 1888 Eldridge wood wheel track bike and my old 76 DG BMX from when I was a kid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Voxxy Brown
That cargo bike is amazing. Well, they are ALL amazing. I am part owner of a weld/fabrication shop and that is top notch craftsmanship, I must say and I'm the worst critic of shoddy welding/grinding.

Would you mind providing us with some close-ups of how you mounted the chain guard, and a rear/front view? I'm thinking of making one and love your design. I'd just like to see it all in a bit more detail. Thanks

Joe
OK you guys ROCK so I went home and just took photos for you so I will let the music do the talking!

yea I love to have extra spokes on hand.

this shot looks so cool without the wood but they say it is good to sport wood and it IS a cargo bike! I had to cover it up
bott

the bottom of the chain guard should be curved over so it will be more friendly.

Old 04-15-10, 05:06 PM
mechanicalron

Bikes: Surly LHT, 94 Cannondale track bike, 80's Cannondale track bike, 60's Raleigh 5 speed, 1888 Eldridge wood wheel track bike and my old 76 DG BMX from when I was a kid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here you can see the little pie shaped notches I cut out of the tin to get it rounded over.

This is a sort of beffore and after of the saddle in twine.

This part was so much fun to blend! You are looking at the old drop out.
Old 04-15-10, 06:24 PM
Simko
Indecisive rookie

Bikes: Nishiki Rally

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gorgfeous, those are the shots i wanted to help with my imaginary sketches and plans!!!!
Old 04-15-10, 07:23 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with everyone else, these bikes are absolutely gorgeous. You have a wonderful eye and many, many talents.
Old 04-16-10, 12:27 AM
jrich179

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
these bikes and accessories are absolutely incredible, dude! I'm a woodworker myself, in the furniture realm, and seeing the things you've made help me realize how much I have to learn (in the most encouraging sense). Wish I still lived in Detroit (well, metro- for me), we could have swapped shop notes or something!! Do you take any "process" photos, or is that Top Secret intel?
Old 04-16-10, 06:21 PM
mechanicalron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrich179
these bikes and accessories are absolutely incredible, dude! I'm a woodworker myself, in the furniture realm, and seeing the things you've made help me realize how much I have to learn (in the most encouraging sense). Wish I still lived in Detroit (well, metro- for me), we could have swapped shop notes or something!! Do you take any "process" photos, or is that Top Secret intel?
Secret intel? Shop notes??? ha ha ha, I have a small livingroom floor for a shop on the 7th floor of a 20 floor building. I wish I had a shop!!! I use a hand saw, pocket knife, sand paper and files ect. I have not shot photos do to the fact that I dont have a plan or even know if what I am doing is going to work! Things just sort of have a way of gelling together as I make them and if I do scetch it first it is all out the window (to some extent) when I start working things out.
Old 04-19-10, 09:18 AM
josefk

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus & a 30yr old steel roadie of unknown origin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just wanted to pitch in to say I'm loving all this fantastic work, really inspirational. Thanks for posting all the photos too, you really have some amazing skills and the detail in all the work is superb.
Old 04-19-10, 11:30 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Hello WOW Noglider turned me on to this. your creations are fabulous. is there a long backorder for chain guards?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-20-10, 07:06 PM
mechanicalron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Hello WOW Noglider turned me on to this. your creations are fabulous. is there a long backorder for chain guards?
I would LOVE to make you a chain guard but every bike is not the same if you think of the width of the BB spindle, the angle of the seat and down tubes for the size of the bike and so on. They end up being spec to the bike do to the fact that a bike with gears has NO room for a chain guard. I could make a "blank" so you can notch it out to fit your frame if you can get your hands on a nibbler. Or you can call the Rock Dove phone # on the bike if you ever get in Detroit, ha ha ha. Just let me know and thank you, ron.