Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

2015 USAC rule changes

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2015 USAC rule changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 09:42 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsteinb
and for the record I don't think anyone should get prize money.

I agree. I've completely changed my opinion on this. I have a handful of medals from when I was a cat 5, but no evidence of any racing success after that, unless I look at my bank account history with a microscope. They didn't even do podiums at Tulsa for any but the P/1 fields. I'd much rather have a medal/jersey and a podium photo than $250.
Old 02-05-15, 09:43 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you could race for milk.
Old 02-05-15, 09:46 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
you could race for milk.
I've got one of those too. But it tends to be somewhat de-glorified by being stashed on top of the fridge except when it's needed to hold some flowers.
Old 02-05-15, 09:47 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
there's not a set of circumstances that exist where I'm ever going to do a race like battenkill. money doesn't enter the equation.
Old 02-05-15, 10:17 AM
Christobevii3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Juniors fields are small because cycling is expensive and not cool at that age. Women just aren't as big into the competitive side of things so the numbers are just less.
Old 02-05-15, 10:26 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
This is way off the original topic, but does anybody actually believe the biggest reason women's and juniors fields are small compared to men's is because of prize money? I don't think that even makes the top five reasons, so it doesn't seem like the best place to throw money. I'll admit that's not fair to the people racing now, and that sucks, but I think getting juniors into racing is the path to long term equality.

I look at swimming, where there's a big club structure starting at something like eight years old, and where girls outnumber boys and think that's the model cycling should be looking for.
I agree that the problem isn't the prize money, nor even equal billing (like getting same length races for example).

I think it's social/cultural. I don't know how, say, 12 year old girls think so I don't know what part of bike racing might appeal to them. That's the age when I caught the cycling bug. For me it was technical, I was never a competitive kind of kid, never athletic, but when I started racing there was some kind of appeal in the challenge or something. I think that kids naturally want to improve and compete and that drive could go a long way in creating a life long cyclist.

However I think that if bike racing was an accepted social/culture thing then 12 year old girls would approach with the same enthusiasm they do for cheerleading or soccer or whatever. I'd love to go to a race and see a bunch of 10-15 year old kids, boys and girls, doing bumping drills for fun while they wait for the results to be posted from their races. Or kids kitting up after high school and rolling off on a group ride.

Once you have a solid group of candidates cycling then the best will naturally rise to the top. In that sense the grassroots efforts would benefit the elite stuff but only after the foundation of candidates exists.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-05-15, 10:30 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Last year there was a pretty serious effort to eliminate masters racing in NYC. It was actually cut from all the major races. Why? Well limited resources. One can only put on so many races. The board members from the major club are largely 3s and women. Masters jumped up and down. Lower category guys and women largely said 'race your category.' Seems more important to have a 4/5 masters race and a bunch of women's races instead of two fields 40 / 50 that give sizable entries because you can force aging 1,2,3s into racing the open race.

The point is that given the realities of space and time one can only fit 5 pounds of **** in a 5 pound bag. More than that and someone is carrying ****.
Yep, I thought about remarking that Master's races could just as easily go on the chopping block. And that an argument could be mounted that it's more justifiable. But I didn't because I thought I might get mean about it.

This is way off the original topic, but does anybody actually believe the biggest reason women's and juniors fields are small compared to men's is because of prize money? I don't think that even makes the top five reasons, so it doesn't seem like the best place to throw money. I'll admit that's not fair to the people racing now, and that sucks, but I think getting juniors into racing is the path to long term equality.
Well, no, it's not the biggest reason. Not by a long shot. But it sort of depends on what level of racing you're talking about. The actual rule now in place is that NRC and NCC events must pay equal prize money to men and women, so we're talking about the biggest domestic professional races in the country, here. At that level, I don't think unequal pay is defensible anymore. At local and smaller professional events, there's a much more difficult calculus because of things like limited time, smaller fields and the competing desire (at least among some people) to make the sport more welcoming to women and grow those races. It is very difficult to balance those things, and it may be too constraining on promoters to make equal payouts for women's fields that may be combined very differently simply to accommodate the reality that participation is lower right now. It's an issue that requires a long-term solution, which it seems like you're getting at. And I agree that junior development is the key, and frankly I don't think USAC is very focused on that right now.
Old 02-05-15, 10:36 AM
grolby

Originally Posted by Christobevii3
Women just aren't as big into the competitive side of things so the numbers are just less.
Hmmm. I don't want to hijack this still further, but there are plenty of competitive sports with much higher female participation than cycling. So that's not a very satisfactory answer, and it's really a refusal to look for answers rather than a good explanation of what's going on.

Likewise for your (unquoted) take on small Junior fields. That it's uncool isn't a sufficient explanation. Uncool still covers a LOT of kids. There was a time once, in the USA, where Junior racing was HUGE relative to what it is now - in the late 70's through the 80's there was a bigger emphasis on Junior development and the national-level Juniors races had big fields (so I am told). FYI cycling was not any cooler in 1978 than it is now.
Old 02-05-15, 10:38 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yes it was. I was alive then and we all had bikes.
Old 02-05-15, 10:43 AM
grolby

Kids don't have bikes now? I wouldn't really know. At least back then kids were actually allowed to ride their bikes to school. Maybe that's the problem. These days, you let a kid ride a bike half a mile to school and you get CPS called on you.
Old 02-05-15, 10:44 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
I agree. I've completely changed my opinion on this. I have a handful of medals from when I was a cat 5, but no evidence of any racing success after that, unless I look at my bank account history with a microscope. They didn't even do podiums at Tulsa for any but the P/1 fields. I'd much rather have a medal/jersey and a podium photo than $250.
My cycling memorabilia bins have a couple jerseys, some medals, a few trophies (all but one were from my own race haha), a stack of race numbers, and a much smaller stack of prize envelopes. The trophies/medals, jerseys, they mean the most to me.

Having said that I have to admit that when I race well at Bethel it paid for my entries deep into June. The first year I didn't do well at Bethel I actually got a bit panicked about paying for entries. At the time I was basically broke so even $30-40 was significant to me.

I didn't think of podium pictures as being significant but I suppose they are. Usually it's tucked away so it's the podium folks and 2-3 people taking pictures - it's the whole "Facebook vs real life" kind of thing. A more public/planned podium presentation would be more appealing. I was watching some of the F1 highlights from last year and those are podium presentations. I got interviewed over the PA one year, that was really special (no pictures or video or anything from that race).

Heh. I just remembered that the first person I called after that race was the now-Missus, it was a knee jerk reaction, I didn't think, I just dialed.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-05-15, 10:45 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling was cooler in 1978. Bicycle racing was present in pop culture then in a very different way from the current post-Lance era. And kids just plain rode bikes all the time in a way that they don't any more. My friends and I all rode our bikes to school, and therefore, everywhere. An iconic image of the late 70s is the suburban yard littered with Schwinns, tires still spinning in the air from when the kids dumped them to run and do whatever. My kids' school doesn't allow them to ride their bikes to school.

I admit that I don't think we can get much further off topic unless we start discussing Elizabethan drama or something...
Old 02-05-15, 10:49 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Grumpy made the shelf.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6151.jpg (95.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-05-15, 10:52 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
topic schmopic.

It was a time before 24 hour TV, home computers (for most people), video games. Back then you ordered things from the back page of a comic book and waited 2-4 weeks for delivery. Our entire neighborhood would ride bikes together just for fun. Kids would customize their bikes. They were a standard culture component.
Old 02-05-15, 10:52 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Kids don't have bikes now? I wouldn't really know. At least back then kids were actually allowed to ride their bikes to school. Maybe that's the problem. These days, you let a kid ride a bike half a mile to school and you get CPS called on you.
But you can gorge them to the point they're 200 lbs and a type 2 diabetic, which is perfectly okay.
Old 02-05-15, 10:53 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

sheeeeeeeeet. How many of you guys recall sending checks to addresses from the back of velonews (print!) to pre reg for races?
Old 02-05-15, 11:00 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I both missed the sarcasm, and agree with this.
Originally Posted by grolby
I don't think the sarcasm was missed. It might work better if the absurd sexism it is supposed to be mocking wasn't something lots of people actually thought and acted upon when it comes to women's sports.
Old 02-05-15, 11:14 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
topic schmopic.

It was a time before 24 hour TV, home computers (for most people), video games. Back then you ordered things from the back page of a comic book and waited 2-4 weeks for delivery. Our entire neighborhood would ride bikes together just for fun. Kids would customize their bikes. They were a standard culture component.
Oh please. I'm not that old and we rode bikes for fun; bmx bikes with no brakes, where you'd just jam your foot on the back tire to stop.

-

Anyway. I'm glad we settled the women's racing argument and gstein could finally admit he lost that one.

Takes a big man to admit you lost, but at least you can learn from it.

my race videos
Old 02-05-15, 11:28 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

you're a pretty weird guy.

I hadn't realized I was on any particular end of an argument. If it comes down to me worrying about my race vs some other race I'm going to look out for my race. I'm not there to spectate or promote the sport. Not being a woman, or a 5, or a 4, my interest in those events is really pretty down on the list at any given moment in my life.

I'm not a fan of being called gstein, btw.
Old 02-05-15, 11:36 AM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Christobevii3
Juniors fields are small because cycling is expensive and not cool at that age. Women just aren't as big into the competitive side of things so the numbers are just less.
Bullsh*t to the expensive argument, and bullsh*t to women aren't into competition.

Do you know how expensive maintaining football, soccer, baseball fields is? Maintaining a pool or getting pool time? Buying football or lacrosse pads? All of these things happen. And women's sports gave similar participation numbers to men when they're equally accessible.
Old 02-05-15, 11:41 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'm not a fan of being called gstein, btw.
too much nostalgia for gsteina?
Old 02-05-15, 11:43 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Prize money in races should just be proportional to the number of riders in the race. 50 guys, $500 prizes. 20 ladies, $200 prizes.

Anyway, amateur bike racing for the prize $$ is always a losing proposition anyway.
Old 02-05-15, 11:55 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

This is a big issue in NJ where the promoters are constantly asked to expand women's racing, but then the events aren't supported. In one case one of the big women's teams who are very vocal chose to do a team ride instead of supporting an event. A pretty significant war of words ensued on the FB group.

Here's a post that came in advance of one of the big money spring NJ races.

Ladies - ___ and I have doubled the prize list for the Open Women's field at Cherry Blossom. In addition, if we have good field sizes, we'll be more than happy to add some primes during the race.
That's the carrot. Here's the stick:
If we don't have a decent turnout for the race, there's a good chance we won't be able to offer women's fields in 2015. We have a limited time we're allowed to be in the park and each field needs to justify its slot on the schedule. So please, come out and support women's racing.
15 women in the women's 4, and 15 in the open race. It's tough for the promoters to justify that time when they can toss up some other category that might get 60-70 guys or close out.

The main promoters in NJ have bent over backwards to support women's racing, but every effort they make is met with some snide comment (why isn't there such and such a woman's cat also?) or just not enough folks show up, or they get nasty emails (often posted without names) after the fact about how they're not doing enough.

If you have a situation where you can put on X amount of events, which do you choose when you're trying to make money so you can continue to promote events?

There are 852 licensed masters riders in NJ. 779 (91.4%) are men. 73 (8.6%) are women. At the Masters Crit Championship today we had 124 riders. Based on those percentages, a rational person would expect to see (roughly) 113 men and 11 women. And because the women's race was open to riders from all states, it could have been higher. What we had was 121 men and 3 women - a shortfall of 8 women from what could reasonably be expected.
Riptide Racing - the largest women's team in the state sent no riders. Actions wheels, the 2nd largest, also sent no riders.
I get a lot of requests during the year to provide the women with their own race - a 'clean' course with no other fields on at the same time. I did this today. The 3 women who DID show (thank you Caryl, Jackie and Betty non of this rant applies to you) chose to ride with the men because their field was so small.
So we did nothing for the first 45 minutes of the day while I paid cops, EMTs and officials to stand around. We could have had a shorter day, a later wakeup, or a 40-50 person Cat 4/5 field. Instead we had crickets chirping.
This is why I will refuse to offer women their own fields in mass start races unless I'm forced to by rule. Cross Races - no problem - the numbers are appropriately representative. TT's - no problem. Also representative. But crits, road races - forget about it and please don't even ask. Your entreaties will fall on deaf ears. I've had enough.
In looking through these posts I came across one from the promoter of the freedom tour, a big NJ crit, that had him lamenting that his women's races at 8 & 5 women registered. This is a race where the masters race (a race in our state points series) is only 30 minutes long due to time constraints.

In NYC women get picked separate, but race with the masters and have a finish a lap later than the masters. It would be great if they could have their own field as well, but races have to be out of the park by something like 8am or earlier and you can only have so many fields on the course at the same time. As it is they have too many and run into issues with fields passing one another.

There are no easy answers.

Last edited by gsteinb; 02-05-15 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-05-15, 11:59 AM
Christobevii3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bullsh*t to the expensive argument, and bullsh*t to women aren't into competition.

Do you know how expensive maintaining football, soccer, baseball fields is? Maintaining a pool or getting pool time? Buying football or lacrosse pads? All of these things happen. And women's sports gave similar participation numbers to men when they're equally accessible.

Football I joined as a kid for $40 boys n girls club fee. You'd buy your cleats but that was the majority of it. Cycling is difficult to start with for $100 first year. Yes the upkeep of a sports complex is high but that is typically shared through a community as cost and not so much an individual.
Old 02-05-15, 12:06 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sheeeeeeeeet. How many of you guys recall sending checks to addresses from the back of velonews (print!) to pre reg for races?
Absolutely. No Cat5. USCF days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.