Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Question for you C&V mail carrier types

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-14-22, 06:35 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts

I recall there being quite a brain trust of USPS employees (current and former) on these forums. I wanted to ask a question.

First, the backstory. I bought a C&V Ti bottom bracket for my Ron Cooper, on the evilbays. Was very excited about it!

I was refreshing the tracking with bated breath. I can't wait to get the bike back on the road with 165 cranks!

And the tracking was weird! It didn't get any scans: not on dropoff, not in-transit, only a delivery scan. Great, it's here! But no package was to be found.
Here's the link to the tracking.
I emailed with the seller. He swears he sent it, over a week ago. He seems like a smalltime guy just trying to offload a few of his old things. I think I trust him, and I don't want to do him wrong. I have been a smalltime ebay seller, until the overzealous massachusetts tax man shut me down. I'm not giving ebay my SSN so they can hit me with a bunch of paperwork, no way.

Anyway, he told me the package was first-class with tracking, label printed via Ebay's Pitney Bowes commercial rate system.

Here's the question for the brain trust: What should I do? Wait another few days? Fill out a form? Try to talk to someone? Who?
The official guidance on the internet says I should file a missing package search request, but I can't seem to make the online form load. I also tried a help request associated with the tracking number, but when I try to submit it, all I get is "There was a problem submitting your request. Please try again later". In most of urban massachusetts, there seem to be two separate delivery services: packages come in a truck and letters are delivered by the foot carrier. The truck is hard to catch, but I could possibly talk to the foot carrier if I run into him. I could also go to the post office, but the staff there are overworked as it is.

Thanks in advance! Any insider/experienced advice would be most welcome.
Old 02-14-22, 06:40 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
In my area, it is impossible to get a phone number for the post office. In you shoes, I would go in person to the post office. I know they are overworked. I fear you may only hear that the package was delivered according to their records.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 02-14-22, 07:05 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
Yeah, you need to go to the local PO, talk to the supervisor, who will check with the delivery person. That still might not get you more than "I delivered it," but you never know. I've had that happen with a couple of packages, a pretty tiny percentage in the whole scheme of things. Both times the supervisor was nice enough about it and did follow up, but I still didn't get my packages.
Old 02-14-22, 07:16 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Originally Posted by nlerner
Yeah, you need to go to the local PO, talk to the supervisor, who will check with the delivery person. That still might not get you more than "I delivered it," but you never know. I've had that happen with a couple of packages, a pretty tiny percentage in the whole scheme of things. Both times the supervisor was nice enough about it and did follow up, but I still didn't get my packages.
Urgh, I may have to try it. I hate to make anyone's day harder.
For you, was the tracking also weird like it was for me? No scans until the delivery scan? Just seems fishy. Normally they scan it multiple times in-transit.
Old 02-14-22, 07:29 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Urgh, I may have to try it. I hate to make anyone's day harder.
For you, was the tracking also weird like it was for me? No scans until the delivery scan? Just seems fishy. Normally they scan it multiple times in-transit.
I don’t remember weird tracking on those shipments, but it has happened a few times in the past couple of years with other parcels that did eventually arrive.
Old 02-14-22, 10:57 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
I had a package of NOS champagne colored Suntour XC Pro brake levers- it was listed as delivered, but it was not here.

The post office manager got the GPS location of the delivery- down the block. I talked to the person at the house and got my brake levers.

Purpose of the story- they they got a GPS location of the delivery of the package.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 02-14-22, 11:29 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Excellent advice from TheGoldenBoy. You should try to find out from your local PO just where it was delivered.
Old 02-15-22, 05:00 PM
kansascity 
Honorary Bicycle Rider

Bikes: N+1's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 37 Posts
I ship a few things each month with USPS and all my packages have made it to their destinations in the past 3 years; however, tracking information has not been good. When I ship handlebars, I can always expect them to be delayed and then magically move thousands of miles without any update in the system.

Sometimes my local carrier will scan items at pickup at my house, sometimes a few days later someone at a regional branch does. Does not seem to be any consistency about the tracking.
Old 02-15-22, 05:27 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
It's not as though you're trying to harass the postal clerks -- you legitimately need assistance. I would head to the post office and ask them what to do now that your package is missing and the online claim system is not working. I think that since the USPS tracking shows that it was delivered, you'll need USPS documentation that it was not delivered if you want to pursue a refund through ebay. It sounds like you trust the seller, but neither you nor they should have to bear the responsibility for a lost package. It could be the result of an honest mistake that will remain hidden until the USPS initiates a claim and investigation, so there is no reason to feel bad about taking up the postal clerk's time.
Old 02-15-22, 08:04 PM
scarlson 

The online help request form finally worked, on attempt number 5 - a different day. Phew! This is the "help request" form, for which I got a confirmation email that it has been forwarded to the Medford PO. The USPS webpage says to wait seven days and if nothing comes of it, to file a missing package search request, which also didn't work but maybe I can get it to work by persistence.

Also: the plot thickens. The seller stopped responding when I asked for the address he sent it from and nudged him to possibly also try to fill out a missing package search request. I will try pinging him again, but I gotta wonder if he's punting on this whole thing. In which case, it will be easier to get a refund, because ebay usually sides with the buyer when the seller refuses to communicate. So, I looked at his completed listings. He's got a seatpost for sale that he already sold once before. It's obviously the same one (same pattern of zigzag scuffs on it). Sure, could be the buyer pulled out of the deal. But still. There's also one neutral feedback saying he was "very slow to ship". And, he's not relisting anything anymore, at this point...

I gotta wonder about this guy now.
Old 02-15-22, 08:23 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
The package shows delivered to "MEDFORD, MA 02155 ". That, to me, looks like a post office box number, not a street address. Are you sure that you gave your correct mailing address? Double check your mailing address in Ebay. That might be something that will shed light on the subject. Also, contact the seller and ask him to tell you what address he shipped to.

If the shipping information is correct, and you have checked at the post office to no avail, let the seller know of the not delivered status. If it were me, I would also let him know that I would be filing a complaint with Ebay. Also, what feedback report does the seller have? If 100% good, he is probably telling the truth. If he has had issues before, then the question of honesty can be considered and challenge, if you wish.

Other than that, I have no further advice to offer. Sometimes the mail fails but in over 500 transactions, through Ebay, not one time has an item failed to reach me or a target destination. Let us know how this turns out.
Old 02-15-22, 08:44 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
go in person to the post office

Are you sure that you gave your correct mailing address? Double check your mailing address in Ebay.
Old 02-15-22, 09:18 PM
scarlson 

Yes, I am sure I had my correct address. I buy all sorts of stuff on there, and never have had a problem. And, the tracking normally looks like randyjawa mentions. A used Syncros multitool came the day after, also from an ebay seller. Here is the tracking for that one:
https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...99160652504%2C

The guy's feedback isn't 100%, like I said there is one neutral feedback saying he took forever to ship, and at least one sale that got backed out of. This could indicate many possible troubles on his end, including but not limited to his mailing situation.

I do not want to overtax my postal employees, and I really do not have time to stand in line for half an hour right now. Notwithstanding that the culture in this town is such that every interaction has the potential to turn into an ugly altercation. I am a mild-mannered Minnesotan/Vermonter. I cannot take the fever-dream pitch of the conversation in this town.

To be clear, Nothing against postal employees. My carrier has been gracious and kind. It's just boston. Everybody here is on edge these days! My institution is likewise understaffed, and each new job creates a cascade of delegation, causing frustration anew at every level. I am not going to be that guy. Not right now. As I said, last resort.

I will keep this thread updated with the latest.

In the meantime, sing with me:
I want my
I want my
I want my Ti BB!
Old 02-16-22, 05:26 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts

...notwithstanding that the culture in this town is such that every interaction has the potential to turn into an ugly altercation...
Sorry to pick this out of the entire deal (it's obviously kind of a throwaway comment) - but wow! I've never been to a place like that, and hopefully never will. Sounds like a place people would want to avoid talking about religion, politics, gender, race...

Bikes, though? You can probably talk bikes there - right?

Hope you get you BB soon

DD
Old 02-17-22, 06:45 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 293 Posts
My experience with eBay is the seller is ultimately responsible for delivery. He should be thankful you’re going to this length before requesting a refund.

As for the climate in MA these days, I left it in the rear view a year ago with no regrets. Well okay, I have to admit the riding was very nice but I hear tell there’s more to life than being on two-wheels. Wrap up that Harvard thing you got going on and high tail it!
Likes For plonz:
Old 02-17-22, 09:09 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
My experience is that they just can't handle the load that you would expect, even though the price is so high.

I'm talking about Ti BBs BTW, not the USPS. Hope you get your package soon.
Old 02-17-22, 01:46 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Purpose of the story- they they got a GPS location of the delivery of the package.
+1 on this. If they did a delivery scan, it should have recorded the GPS location, but for some reason that doesn't ever appear in the tracking info, so you have to ask for it, either by phone or in person.

Problem is that even if they misdelivered it and acknowledge that, you might be out of luck. If the package is lost, only the sender can file an insurance claim with USPS, and, at least in my case, eBay said that since the USPS reported it delivered in the tracking info, seller didn't owe me a refund. Since they weren't obligated to refund me, they had no interest in pursuing the insurance claim with USPS and I just ended up losing my money.
Old 02-17-22, 06:25 PM
scarlson 

Got an email response to my inquiry.
And I quote:
"The package was delivered to the address on the package. The barcode on the label was not printed properly causing the package to be processed manually due to being unable to be ran by machine. I would recommend contacting your neighbor that shares the same porch to see if they had mistakenly taken your package."

Well, of course I asked all the neighbors sharing the porch, before I even began this whole USPS inquiry. That was the very least I could do. Now, must I canvas the neighborhood? I responded to their email asking if they knew for a fact it was _my_ porch.

But OK, I am working up to this! I will go to the medford post office tomorrow, because I have to mail something (to a BF member!!) first-class-with-tracking, anyhow, and you can't do that online. Normally I go to the Cambridge PO and use the automatic kiosk, but here we go. Wish me luck. It is a beautiful building inside (was, last time I was in there, before covid, maybe it's changed). I recall a historic WPA mural in there as well. Not sure if it's still there. 2020 taught us that a lot of those murals were widely objected-to.

Drillium Dude I actually considered a long time whether to mention my difficulties with the culture here. All the MA bikeforums members I have met have, of course, been amazing!

If I might venture a guess, I'd say that there is simmering discontent below the surface here in massachusetts due to a variety of factors. Too much focus on big money, the root of all evil! We saw how they pulled out all the stops trying to woo the amazon hq here, but they don't properly fix the gas or sewer. Cities change policy in "public" meetings, without really trying for public engagement, so most policy changes hit renters (normally our lowest-income citizens) unexpectedly, in the middle of a lease cycle. Nobody can handle it, but it's being dished out nonetheless. The towns have thus made it clear they don't really care about the working people who actually have to live there. Makes everbody angry, or at least the bottom 90%. But that's just one way to look at it, and I don't want to get into politics. Whether I like it or not, I am a (harvard student ID) card-carrying member of the elite, in spite of my humble roots. So, I am an easy target for resentment with the situation, no matter whose side I am actually on.
Old 02-17-22, 06:41 PM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
My experience is that they just can't handle the load that you would expect, even though the price is so high.

I'm talking about Ti BBs BTW, not the USPS. Hope you get your package soon.
I have only broken steel ones! And Phil's at that! This White BB I ordered is pretty old and dinged-up so it was around $50. Seemed a good deal, plus I can adjust the thing side-to-side to perfect the chainline. I think many Ti BBs break because they are low-quantity production items. The shops making them don't put enough engineering into the final product, so you end up with stuff like the FSA Ultimax (a big ol' snap ring groove in the thing, acting as a stress riser, but retaining the two-row bearing on the drive-side which is there for added durability) or the Erickson (ballooned center section, but huge stress-risers where the bearings go on) or the Campy Super Record (which only failed because Fignon is an animal!!)

But I like the White Industries Ti stuff. They seem to know what they're doing when it comes to machining work. No stress-risers to be found! I think it'll last.

In the course of my biochem PhD studies, I've done two bolt-extractions from Ti ultrasonic disruptor heads, because Ti does tend to seize, and these are shared-use instruments. My dad had a bolt seize in a Hadley BB back in the day. Switched it out for CrMo after realizing there was no point in saving weight on his Santana tandem. I think he may have actually gotten the bolt seized while unscrewing, because he was using those Syncros crank extractor bolts and the crank was on there really well.

I have a crazy stupid light Erickson Ti BB in my Vitus 979. That's the one I'm waiting for to break!!
Old 02-18-22, 06:13 PM
scarlson 

I went to the post office this morning. Mailed out a part for a fellow BFer and inquired about this package. They didn't give me any coordinates, but they said the manager would give me a call.

Now, I didn't receive any calls today, and it may get lost in the shuffle this weekend, but here's hoping I can get something out of this.

Because of the mention of the barcode being unreadable, maybe the address was also unreadable. I don't know. I'm envisioning an inkjet-printed thing with runny ink bleeding down the paper label in the recent storms. Maybe?

I have a snipe scheduled on another Ti BB. But maybe it's a cooler one? Probably not any lighter, for whatever that's worth. Also a rotten water-damaged steel (I think it's steel) OMAS one as bargain basement backup.
Getting it shipped to work, not to the apartment.

Last edited by scarlson; 02-18-22 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-18-22, 06:27 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts

...that's just one way to look at it, and I don't want to get into politics.
I agree - there's a separate thread for that (and I don't hang out there, either) - but thanks for that little bit of insight

Btw, there's video of Fignon breaking that Ti spindle is brutal; if you've not seen it, I recommend keeping it that way!

DD
Old 02-18-22, 06:38 PM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Btw, there's video of Fignon breaking that Ti spindle is brutal; if you've not seen it, I recommend keeping it that way!
Oh, I've seen it! I keep wondering if he hit his head on the curb or not. Always seemed to me that, all things considered, he handled the fall pretty well, did a nice tuck and roll and got free without twisting a knee or anything.

People have said I ride like him, and grimace like him while climbing in too high a gear, like he would sometimes do.
Old 02-19-22, 12:23 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
TLR - have you had a chance to talk with your carrier her/himself? That's what I did last time I had something like this happen. I'd also filed a case with the USPS online, but didn't get a response for several days. The day after the item was "delivered", I managed to catch my postie, and asked him about it. Next day, there's the item on my porch. Turns out there was a substitute carrier the original day, who delivered it to the same house number, two streets over.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 02-19-22, 01:10 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,472 Posts
google came up with these non 800#'s;maybe the carrier floor supervisor station.

sometimes a sub carrier will scan items before they reach they mailbox when still in their truck.and as mentioned will bet if there are same address numbers on streets nearby it could have been missdelivered.
Old 02-19-22, 01:33 PM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by madpogue
TLR - have you had a chance to talk with your carrier her/himself?
Haven't got the chance yet. We have a foot carrier who does letters and a truck for packages. This is pretty small, so I'm not sure which one would have dealt with it, which adds another layer of complexity.

And yes, there is another guy with the same first name who lives at the same address and apartment number but a couple streets over. Sometimes we get his mail. I went first-thing to his place, on the night that it didn't show up, but didn't see my package.

In the mean time, I received another email from USPS:
"Our delivery personal have been searching your area for this package since you stated you did not received. in the meantime, we would encourage you to get in touch with the sender to coordinate reshipment or reimbursement."

I may begin those proceedings as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.