Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bringing bike to Hawaii big island, suggestions?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-12-22, 01:31 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

I’m going to pack my bike for a trip to Waikaloa Village on Hawaii’s big island. Looking for suggestions for rides with my road bike. I like hills but frankly anything that is safe will be good.

I’ll be using my favorite Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple Chainring that I’ll pack in a Serfas hard case. I’ll be traveling on Southwest Airlines in two weeks. This will be the first time I’ve traveled by plane with my bike, so I’m excited and nervous.

if Anyone lives out there and wants to meet up for a ride to show me the sites let me know.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-22, 02:30 AM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
Right outside of Walkaloa Village is the Queens Hwy. The Queens Hwy has great shoulder space for riding.
The Queens Hwy goes for miles in either direction. Going south you can ride 32 miles to Kona or North quite a few miles to the north end of the island.
The scenery on the Hwy is varied and beautiful. You will see many other riders out there. Walkaloa is on the Kahola Coast which is a very nice part of the Big Island.
I would get out early before it warms up during the day.
Have Fun and enjoy!
Likes For Frank72:
Old 07-12-22, 08:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
How good a climber are you?

https://pjammcycling.com/climb/1.Mauna-Kea
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-12-22, 09:15 AM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
For a challenging Ride, start in Kona HI and go south 10 miles to Kealakekua. There is a 1400 ft elevation change between Kona and Kealakekua. Not sure if the road is bike friendly after Kealakekua, but of course you can go back down the hill to Kona.

Also closer to the ocean is Alii Drive. From the Keauhou Sheraton you can also bike (south) up to Kealakekua. Once you get to Alii and 11 Hwy you can take the Napoopoo down to Kealakekua bay where the Captain Cook monument is. On the road you will find amazing views and challenging descents/assents.
Likes For Frank72:
Old 07-12-22, 01:05 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

damn! that looks rough!

Originally Posted by Iride01
How good a climber are you?

https://pjammcycling.com/climb/1.Mauna-Kea
Old 07-16-22, 05:04 PM
Symox

Well it’s packed

Wish me luck

Likes For Symox:
Old 07-17-22, 05:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
Did you put an air tag or tile tracker in it?

Have fun. One of my son's was in Hawaii for five years with his company and I never got a chance to go visit. It'll always be one of my regrets.
Old 07-17-22, 07:26 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by Iride01
Did you put an air tag or tile tracker in it?

Have fun. One of my son's was in Hawaii for five years with his company and I never got a chance to go visit. It'll always be one of my regrets.
yes I put an air tag in it. Will be leaving Tuesday and I will give some updates
Old 07-18-22, 11:10 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
Frank72 already mentioned the only route suggestions I know for the Big Island (Queens Highway, going either north or south), but the Bike Works Kona shop has a list of routes on their website: https://www.bikeworkskona.com/suggested-rides/

btw not sure if they still do this, but Bike Works Kona used to host some midweek rides that were a pantload of fun. Although, as I posted on another cycling forum
My wife and I got hooked up with a Bike Works Kona midweek group ride when we were there on vacation in 2013 (we'd brought our own bikes) and it was one of the most fun -- albeit, perplexing -- pickup rides I've ever been on.

I think most of the locals who typically turn out for their shop rides are triathletes, and so the notion of a cooperative group ride is completely foreign to their experience: Someone would get to the front of the line and just go as hard as they possibly could until they popped and got spit out the back; next person in line simply repeated the exact same process.

At the midway point when we stopped for a break I taught three other riders the concept of a cooperative rotating paceline, and after a wonderfully brisk/spirited return where we all got back to the shop together, they couldn't shut up about how cool this new concept they'd just learned was!

Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 07-18-22, 11:48 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Before you set off on the road, make sure to get a good app on wind forecasts. I like "Windy." I made the mistake of not doing this and got caught in 35 knot crosswinds in the hills that were so strong I could barely stand up. The bike shop in the shopping complex near the Marriott is helpful and solid.
Likes For Robert A:
Old 07-18-22, 01:06 PM
Symox

Great tip

Originally Posted by Robert A;[url=tel:22578622
22578622[/url]]Before you set off on the road, make sure to get a good app on wind forecasts. I like "Windy." I made the mistake of not doing this and got caught in 35 knot crosswinds in the hills that were so strong I could barely stand up. The bike shop in the shopping complex near the Marriott is helpful and solid.
Thanks!
Old 07-18-22, 03:25 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Frank72 already mentioned the only route suggestions I know for the Big Island (Queens Highway, going either north or south), but the Bike Works Kona shop has a list of routes on their website: https://www.bikeworkskona.com/suggested-rides/

btw not sure if they still do this, but Bike Works Kona used to host some midweek rides that were a pantload of fun. Although, as I posted on another cycling forum
That is a very helpful link! Thank you so much!