Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Good gearing for CX single speed?

Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 08-01-22, 06:00 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts

Currently thinking I could try pushing a 36/17 but I'm not certain what's common.
I'm a cat 5, and usually not close to the fastest, but I like to show up and have some fun, but I've also set a goal of doing the nationals singlespeed CX race on Dec 10 since it isn't that far away and I have to drive the kids there that day for junior racing. I figure as long as I'm there I might as well race and see what happens. I checked previous years and there were other slow riders so I doubt I'll the only one.
Old 08-09-22, 11:44 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
IF you own a geared bike also, pre-ride the course with that and try a few different combos. Then own a couple cogs/rings and do the math for your single speed and swap it out before the race. Just do the math to get the closest ratio to what you fancied during the pre-ride on the geared bike.
Old 05-09-23, 09:50 AM
psyphr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For single track heavy or muddy courses, I like a 2:1 ratio, or something close to it. Current SSCX set up is 40:17 and its a great all rounder. Easy to put down some power during straight sections, punchy uphills, and flowy or technical trails.