Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Setup Iphone with Sensors with Bike App for Trainer

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-22, 01:14 AM
Senathon

Bikes: Posiden X for Practice, Need one for road and light gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

I am looking at getting some sensors and a bike app for my trainer. The trainer will be using my iPhone. Here are some questions:
1. Can anyone recommend sensors (priority is cadence) that are compatible with an iPhone? (Bluetooth). I do also want them with ANT+ since I will take the bike on the road. By then, I will switch from my Iphone to Garmin 530.
2. What phone app would you recommend for training? I am considering Strava, but open to other apps.
3. Where is the best place for to mount a bike sensor? I know different brands and sensors has different locations, but I would like your opinion first before I spend the money.
4. I am also consider (maybe) buying a cheap smart swatch to check my HR (this is not a need, just an some extra).

I know Garmin has their sensors for $60, but I was looking for something with a lower cost since I will be leaving these sensors on my old bike, when I buy new sensors for my new bike in a year.
Old 11-15-22, 04:06 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
why not using the 530 indoors setup? you can setup a workout plan on garmin connect, upload to the 530 and then you ride against the "virtual partner".

you will need a wheel speed sensor to count the distance. Cadence and speed sensor from wahoo aren't too expensive (cheaper than garmin) and work well in either ant+ or bluetooth. the deathlon are fine too and the garmins are too.

I have a couple of ebay special and they "work" but I was for ever changing the batteries...

hear rate, wahoo does a good sensor. or, you can get a garmin vivoactive and set it up in "broadcast" mode and connect it to the 530. iwatch does it too. if you can find a cheap (under $200) good condition garmin fenix 5 plus or 5s plus or 5x or 5x plus, consider it as they are very versatile.

Last edited by Fentuz; 11-15-22 at 04:13 AM.
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 11-15-22, 04:30 AM
Senathon

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fentuz
why not using the 530 indoors setup? you can setup a workout plan on garmin connect, upload to the 530 and then you ride against the "virtual partner".

versatile.
I would if I could, the main reason is money. I thought $30 sensors with my Iphone would be better for my budget than $300(kit and sensors). I can afford the garmin in 6 months.
Old 11-15-22, 05:07 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Originally Posted by Senathon
I would if I could, the main reason is money. I thought $30 sensors with my Iphone would be better for my budget than $300(kit and sensors). I can afford the garmin in 6 months.
Apologies, I did not realize you did not own the 530 yet.

in that case, a wahoo speed sensor only will work; your don't need a cadence sensor on the trainer.
Or, you can get a generic speed/cadence kit like the decathlon (halfords in the UK sells the same under there own brand) but these are ~£20 each.

then, you need to find the correct app; Strava doesn't seem to record live indoor activities (outdoor only). It seems you need to something like zwift or other thing like that and you have to sync it with Strava.
Old 11-15-22, 11:34 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Samsung phones have ANT+, I don't think iPhones do?
Old 11-16-22, 01:55 AM
Amidou

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guys, much obliged for your recommendations. Gonna try them soon. I've always wanted to get such a setup but I didn't have an idea how to do it in the best way
Old 11-16-22, 04:04 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Few phones have ever been ANT+ compatible. About 10 years ago an early version of Wahoo products included an ANT+ adapter for the iPhone 4s. It included a protective case with the ANT+ module built in, connected via the socket in the bottom of the iPhone. And the kit included a combination speed/cadence sensor, connected via cable, mounted to the chainstay, with the usual magnets on the wheel spoke and crank arm. The module on the chainstay transmitted to the iPhone via the case/ANT+ module. By today's standards it's quite the clunky kludge, but for 2012 it was pretty cool.

I still use the ANT+ sensors on my road bikes. ANT+ often seems more reliable than Bluetooth. I use the old Wahoo ANT+ sensors for my inexpensive XOSS G+, a minimalist GPS bike computer. It does all I need.

Occasionally I'd hook up the old iPhone with Wahoo case for indoor trainer sessions, but last year that iPhone 4s battery finally swelled so that phone is out of commission until I replace the battery.

All my newer sensors -- XOSS speed/cadence convertible sensor; Wahoo Tickr -- are both Bluetooth and ANT+ compatible. So they'll work with pretty much any phone and most inexpensive bike computers. The XOSS, at the time (2019-2020) was the cheapest bike computer that was both Bluetooth and ANT+, so I got two of 'em. They're good for the price, but very minimalist. No GPS display during rides, no navigation aids. GPS data shows up later after syncing with the XOSS app or via Strava, Wahoo Fitness, etc. During a ride the XOSS G+ displays speed, cadence, heart rate, elevation (barometric sensor, not very accurate), temperature (not very accurate, reads temperature reflected off the pavement), averages, maximums, gradients, etc.

When I use both the XOSS computer and my phone to record data during a ride, the XOSS defaults to the ANT+ channel for the sensors, leaving the less flexible Bluetooth for the phone.

The main advantage to ANT+ was the ability to share data with more than one device: typically, the rider and coach or trainer in the gym or within range, such as a support vehicle. Bluetooth can't do that (as far as I know).
Old 11-16-22, 05:36 AM
Senathon

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Looks like I am going with the Moofit Cadence and Speed bundle for $35.00 to use with my iPhone. Does anyone has any experience with the Moofit with Strava?
Old 11-16-22, 09:03 AM
Fentuz

Originally Posted by Amidou
Guys, much obliged for your recommendations. Gonna try them soon. I've always wanted to get such a setup but I didn't have an idea how to do it in the best way
This is my current set (Garage needs a tidy up though). Bike fitted with wahoo speed sensor (around the rear hub) and an old decathlon cadence sensor (to be replaced by powermeter when 4iiii sends it back...) and garmin 530.
heart rate from my garmin fenix 5+

Trainer is a 15years old cyclop. fitted with a old alivio trigger shifter on a spare handlebar. it allows to change the magnet resistance on the flywheel.

the sensors are ANT+ connected with Garmin and bluetooth connected with ipad/iphone (Zwift).

Old 12-17-22, 09:35 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Senathon
Looks like I am going with the Moofit Cadence and Speed bundle for $35.00 to use with my iPhone. Does anyone has any experience with the Moofit with Strava?
The Moofits will serve your purpose. I use their ANT+/BLE speed sensors with my Bryton GPS for both outdoor riding and on the rollers. Oddly, one connects through ANT+ on one bicycle while the other dose to connect through BLE on the other bicycle. Bryton head unit used with both.

As for an app, check out the Wahoo fitness app. It will interface with the Moofit sensors.