Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Headset Spacers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Headset Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-21, 01:56 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Headset Spacers

I changed the stem on my bike and I guess it’s a tad shorter, as the distance between the top of the steerer tube and spacer (using one above the stem) is 1 maybe 2mm. When I snug the top cap bolt I believe the bottom of the cap is contacting the top of the steerer and it’s not preloading the headset (hopefully my explanation makes sense, I followed the Park Tool video). When I apply the front brake and push forward it feels like there is play.

So I got some 2 and 3mm spacers and replaced one 5mm with a combo of these and the steerer tube is now a good 4mm below the spacer on top of the stem (maybe 5mm?). Now when I snug the top cap bolt it feels like it’s engaging more (also took several more turns), and I can still rotate the bars easily. Now when I check for play it seems to be gone.

Sorry for the long explanation!

So, is it okay if that distance between top of spacer down to the top of the steerer tube is like 4-5mm?

I rarely touch this area of the bike so I’m not as confident. Everything is now torque to spec and it feels good.

Last edited by Noonievut; 02-19-22 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-27-21, 02:07 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Yes that's fine - the 1-2 mm people cite is the minimum to ensure that the top cap isn't contacting the steerer top. 4-5mm will achieve the same thing with no downside
Likes For Litespud:
Old 12-27-21, 02:10 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
As long as the top bolt of the stem's steerer clamp is below the top of the steerer, you are fine. My preference is to have the steerer long enough to project slightly above the top of the stem and add a spacer above the stem to give me a 3-4 mm gap below the top of that spacer. That accomplishes the gap needed to adjust the headset and assures the steerer is fully supported by the stem. This is particularly useful with a carbon steerer.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 12-27-21, 02:33 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
The danger is greater when the top of the steerer is below the stem's top by so much that the steerer is also below the top pinch bolt. With a metal steerer less a concern then with a carbon steerer. It was the introduction of carbon steerers that the "steerer above the stem and add a spacer to allow the preload cap to not bottom out" began to be the way. Andy
Old 12-27-21, 03:38 PM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by HillRider
As long as the top bolt of the stem's steerer clamp is below the top of the steerer, you are fine. My preference is to have the steerer long enough to project slightly above the top of the stem and add a spacer above the stem to give me a 3-4 mm gap below the top of that spacer. That accomplishes the gap needed to adjust the headset and assures the steerer is fully supported by the stem. This is particularly useful with a carbon steerer.
Thats exactly how mine is set up, with a 5mm spacer above the stem.
Old 12-28-21, 04:43 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think a few folks are misreading the OP. He has a spacer above the stem.

OP: as long as there is enough steer tube sticking into the spacer to keep it in place, you are fine.
Old 12-29-21, 09:43 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I think a few folks are misreading the OP. He has a spacer above the stem..
Indeed you are correct and I should have read the OP more carefully. The obvious answer to his problem is to replace the 5mm spacer with a 10mm spacer. And, yes, the resulting 5 or 6mm gap will be fine.
Old 12-29-21, 04:55 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Ironic, the extra stuff (weight) you have to add so you can use a fork with carbon steerer.
Old 12-30-21, 02:15 AM
Kansey
Kansey

Bikes: Cannondales, alot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oldschoolbike
Ironic, the extra stuff (weight) you have to add so you can use a fork with carbon steerer.
too right lol I put a Easton on my bike and unthinkable just put the stem and took it to my mechanic for housing and cables. Hours after I pick it up and saw aluminum spaces😅😅 just paid and was grateful of his consideration. I am planning on ordering carbon spacers though
Likes For Kansey:
Old 01-21-22, 11:01 AM
Noonievut

As the OP I wanted to come back and close the loop on this. Short answer - I'm not a very good bike mechanic (but I try!).

When I changed stems...somewhere along the way I accidentally loosened the compression plug that sits inside the carbon steering tube. I didn't know this at the time. I didn't know what it looked like before (lesson learned - use phone for quick photo), so when the compression nut was sitting 5mm or so above the steering tube I didn't know that was wrong. So I need extra spacers to clear this additional height. Fortunately I called the bike shop, explained what I was seeing, and they set me straight (sometimes you just have to see it in person, or photos).

Last edited by Noonievut; 01-21-22 at 02:29 PM.
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 01-21-22, 11:21 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Ah, this makes sense. Glad you got it fixed. As long as you can 1) preload the bearings with the cap, and 2) have the stemp clamp on tube (and not "clamp on air") you are good. The 1-2mm of clamping on air might be ok but is still suboptimal. Glad you got it fixed.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 01-26-22, 10:54 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I changed the stem on my bike and I guess it’s a tad shorter, as the distance between the top of the steerer tube and spacer (using one above the stem) is 1 maybe 2mm. When I snug the top cap bolt I believe the bottom of the cap is contacting the top of the steerer and it’s not preloading the headset (hopefully my explanation makes sense, I followed the Park Tool video). When I apply the front brake and push forward it feels like there is play.

So I got some 2 and 3mm spacers and replaced one 5mm with a combo of these and the steerer tube is now a good 4mm below the spacer on top of the stem (maybe 5mm?). Now when I snug the top cap bolt it feels like it’s engaging more (also took several more turns), and I can still rotate the bars easily. Now when I check for play it seems to be gone.

Sorry for the long explanation!

So, is it okay if that distance between top of spacer down to the top of the steerer tube is like 4-5mm?

I rarely touch this area of the bike so I’m not as confident. Everything is now torque to spec and it feels good.

edit: bike is a 2021 Bombtrack Hook. Top cap is very narrow/thin.
Make sure the expansion plug supports the stem clamps from inside the steer tube. If it doesn't reach down that far, consider buying a different expansion plug that is longer.
Old 01-29-22, 06:00 AM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by Camilo
Make sure the expansion plug supports the stem clamps from inside the steer tube. If it doesn't reach down that far, consider buying a different expansion plug that is longer.
I think I may do this...going to call the LBS and talk to them today.

Last edited by Noonievut; 02-19-22 at 07:47 PM.